Anyone remember fear effect?

#1fallangePosted 5/23/2013 9:13:46 AM
If you guys remember in that game you didn't have a health bar, but a fear meter. Wouldn't it be amazing if they made a horror game where your health is directly affected by your heart rate?

Since the Xbox one will be able to read your heart rate, I think it would be a way to make something that's never been done before in a game.

This is not a topic about how much the Xbox one sucks, but rather what can be done with new hardware. So please, if you have nothing constructive to say, just click the back button.
---
have you heard the news?
the dogs are dead!
#2Ruins72Posted 5/23/2013 9:14:35 AM
but then wouldn't you only fail if you were actually having a heart attack or dying?
#3WindMouseHanpanPosted 5/23/2013 9:14:50 AM
Both Fear Effect games were awesome.
---
Made a new channel, come see my let's plays if you want~!
http://www.youtube.com/user/themorphingfennecfox
#4Ultima WeltallPosted 5/23/2013 9:15:14 AM
Ruins72 posted...
but then wouldn't you only fail if you were actually having a heart attack or dying?

games are ez mode anyway, so that doesnt matter
---
Xtreme Rig: i7-3960X, 16gb ddr3, geforce gtx690, 480gig ssd
Runs Facebook and YouTube at a smooth 60fps
#5snicklecuckPosted 5/23/2013 9:15:20 AM
You'll have to exit the game every few minutes for the Kinect to upload the most recent video footage of you and your children to Micro$oft servers.
#6darkshadowmasterPosted 5/23/2013 9:17:39 AM(edited)
There was a game called Amnesia that did something like that. If your char got scared he would start losing HP.

Made the game more annoying than anything tbh.
Edit:

Just realized you actually meant your heart rate and not the chars. That would have to be one bad ass game to actually cause enough stress to change it.
---
When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.
#7MlREFOXPosted 5/23/2013 9:17:33 AM
Here's the problem:

Video games are presumably designed to challenge you, or at least cause youto compete against the game. Therefore, this game would presumably at some point try to cause you to "lose." What you then have is a video game that is, in a way, attempting to spike your heart rate.

The liability is off the charts.
#8FoppePosted 5/23/2013 9:22:51 AM
Fear Effect...
That's those two PS1 games that had almost cel shaded graphics for the characters and prerendered movies as background, which made the games taking up 4 discs each?

Those were pretty good games.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#9fallange(Topic Creator)Posted 5/23/2013 9:28:41 AM
MlREFOX posted...
Here's the problem:

Video games are presumably designed to challenge you, or at least cause youto compete against the game. Therefore, this game would presumably at some point try to cause you to "lose." What you then have is a video game that is, in a way, attempting to spike your heart rate.

The liability is off the charts.

But wasn't that what survival horror games were trying to do in the 90s and early 2000s though? When you tense up or feel fear your heart rate goes up, that doesn't mean that the game is trying to kill you.

And to most people who posted before, yes, the fear effect games where indeed really good.
---
have you heard the news?
the dogs are dead!
#10gtomangaPosted 5/23/2013 9:31:53 AM
your talking about that ps1 4disks game that you control a tank and you can easly die because you dont know what to do
---
YS,megaman,harvest moon,sly cooper,rune factory,shin megami tensei,growlanser,superman,bomberman,shump,sonic fan