The PS4 will have software account lockdowns in a year or so after release

#1rgwPosted 5/23/2013 10:20:36 AM
Developers like platforms that monetize well.

Xbox One is providing means to assure third-parties don't steal from developers' revenue streams (Gamestop).

Gamers like games, games come from developers, developers will choose Xbox One first over the PS4 due to Microsoft's commitment to intellectual property protection.

This is literally iOS v. Android app ecosystem played out in a different software market segment. Many of the best iOS developers and their applications have no plan to port. Why? Because Android phones are easy to root and pirate apps for even modest computer users. The app ecosystem on Android suffers accordingly. Most of the best developers will choose no Android or Android last approaches. What apps are out there lean heavily on inundating the user with ads to draw revenue because they know a charge upfront is hopeless.

You can cry about it, but this is the future and the developers will make you "vote with your wallet."
---
BEAST JAY YELDGOD
Featuring Eddie Racy Lacy and The Chest Tattoos
#2Rome218Posted 5/23/2013 10:23:05 AM
Why even bother with this thread? No one HAS to buy a new console. I will see which are the less of the two evils and purchase that.

If no one is buying the new consoles as much as they predict, then all of a sudden their is less demand for games. All the publishers and developers who felt they were starving artists will all of a sudden be looking for work, maybe even bagging my grocery.
---
I served 8, in war... my father served 23, in war... both of my grandfathers served, in war. WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Desert Storm, GWoT, etc. - ScarecrowES
#3rgw(Topic Creator)Posted 5/23/2013 10:23:33 AM
no one has to buy a smartphone either
---
BEAST JAY YELDGOD
#4XtypegamerPosted 5/23/2013 10:25:08 AM
Gamers like the freedom to choose and a console that hinders the ability to choose will not succeed.
---
https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/6124904192/hCFA9E7FB/
#5electroflamePosted 5/23/2013 10:28:30 AM
You forgot one important point:

Developers go where there's an established hardware base. Xbox One can be as appealing (in theory) to developers as possible, but if nobody buys it (if the established base isn't there) games won't be made for it, or they'll be ports.

You also can't compare this to the iOS and Android market. One of the largest reasons that developers don't go the Android route is due to device fragmentation -- not just how easy it is to pirate. It's almost as easy to pirate on the iPhone, it's just been shown that users with an iPhone are less likely to pirate games, but it still happens.

It takes way less money to develop mobile games than it does AAA console games -- especially AAA console games at the start of a new generation. Publishers and developers won't throw money at a wall hoping that the established base will grow so they can make games for the "secure" system. The Wii U has proven that if the established base isn't there, nobody's going to show up (although, bad hardware plays a key role in the Wii U story as well).

Getting console developers to make games for your console is not as simple as "If you build it, they will come".
---
Could be worse, they could have been American givers and you would have been smothered in small pox. -fakenamefignuts on Indian-Giving.
Steam ID: electroflame
#6rgw(Topic Creator)Posted 5/23/2013 10:29:31 AM
Gamers aren't going to choose the system that doesn't get - or gets second dibs - on all the games because the developers prefer the IP protection system of one over the wild-wild-west of the other.

Console gaming is the last remanent of the "software as a good" mentality in software law. Though technically I imagine games are licensed to the end user, there was no meaningful way to enforce it. Software as a licensed agreement is the standard in every other software field.
---
BEAST JAY YELDGOD
#7Mr_BurgenerPosted 5/23/2013 10:32:53 AM
So you're saying that they won't just make the game for both consoles? Because no one does that, right?
#8rgw(Topic Creator)Posted 5/23/2013 10:34:56 AM
I'm saying that I wouldn't be surprised if the Xbox One gets first dibs (timed exclusive, I guess is the term) or more exclusives due to this move.

Also, you'd be surprised how few people care about this stuff outside nerd corners like tech websites. Most people are probably like, "man now I can tony stark mah television and wow look at dat army dog!"
---
BEAST JAY YELDGOD
#9rgw(Topic Creator)Posted 5/23/2013 10:36:52 AM
As a general rule, I've noticed that nerds on the internet vastly underrate how little the average person cares about things like account locked games, privacy, etc. As long as it is cool...it will be a hit and there is no denying that the xbox one has some average person cool about it.
---
BEAST JAY YELDGOD
#10NikoIaiPosted 5/23/2013 10:37:02 AM
I think people misunderstand how not being able to buy used games will affect the market. I dont think it'll make more people buy their game new. I just think it will make less people play their game and be less inclined to buy the sequel
---
I did it for The Motherland
Giants. Knicks.