The PS4 will have software account lockdowns in a year or so after release

#51PrinceOfHotPosted 5/23/2013 12:41:32 PM
Yea but companies have been skewered before by dis-satisfied customers. Sony is selling to the customer, Microsoft is trying to get rich off of their own arrogance. Big difference.
---
---
Video games do not cause violence. Violence may cause video games.
#52wombatkiddPosted 5/23/2013 12:46:50 PM
PrinceOfHot posted...
Yea but companies have been skewered before by dis-satisfied customers. Sony is selling to the customer, Microsoft is trying to get rich off of their own arrogance. Big difference.

Hell's even Nintendo actually lets you OWN physical copies of games you buy.
---
---
"Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master."
#53SarahFailinPosted 5/23/2013 8:19:36 PM
I pwned rgw and he fails to address my points. Being a software developer does not privilege your opinions about things like economics and consumer rights.
#54KaiserWarriorPosted 5/23/2013 8:22:44 PM
Today's publishers (let's not kid around: developers don't get anything from all this DRM, just publishers) are going to have a very hard time competing with 30 years of excellent gaming.

Instead of dropping $60 for one of their crappy, DRM-caked 5-hour snorefests, I can drop that same $60 for 10~12 classic video games that will each last hours longer and come with no DRM bull****.
#55Chrebet808Posted 5/23/2013 10:40:52 PM
rgw posted...
Used games are basically stealing from the developers. You want high-production value games, the developers need return on investment throughout the lifecycle of the property. After market sells are lost returns for the work a developer put into the project.

the fact that something like tomb raider can sell almost 3 million copies in only 2 months and still be considered a commercial failure has less to do with used sales and more to do with production houses just pissing cash everywhere equating "AAA" and "high production value" solely with "bloated budget" and "aggressive and lavish marketing campaigns"
---
I was programmed to kill your ass!