The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

The difference between Xbox One's and PlayStation 4's used game policy.

#1THMBZDownGNZUpPosted 5/23/2013 6:59:10 PM
Xbox One
--Does require a fee to play secondhand or used games. Microsoft has chosen to integrate the fee system into their console where you must pay a fee to play used games rather than leaving this up to publishers and developers.

Thus, Microsoft is at fault for not only enabling publishers and developers to do this but going a step further and integrating a used game fee system for them. This is the main reason for partnering with EA, who is the biggest advocate for this used game system, and is why EA got rid of online passes -- Xbox One does this for them. Not only will you have to pay a fee to play used games on your account, but you will have to do the same on any other account. (i.e. Friend, family member, etc.)

Conclusion: Totally wrong that Microsoft is implementing this feature into their console. They should have left it up to publishers and developers, as Sony is doing, so that if said publishers and developers choose to utilize it they will be at fault.

PlayStation 4
--Does not require a fee to play secondhand or used games. Sony will leave this up to publishers and developers.

Thus, any publishers and developers who choose to utilize this feature will be at fault, even while Sony enables them, because said publishers and developers still will have decided to block their used games/make you pay a fee. Sony is implementing what the publishers and developers want while retaining what consumers want -- to play used games with no enforced fee by Sony themselves. It can be inferred that you can play used games free of charge, unless enforced by publishers and developers, not only on your account but also on any other account. (i.e. Friend, family member, etc.)

Conclusion: While it's still wrong that Sony is allowing this, if this feature is going to be put in anyway, Sony is right to let publishers and developers take the blame for choosing to block used games/pay a fee to play used.

I haven't any links to confirm or deny any of this, but given all the information that is out right now, this is what I believe will be Xbox One's and PlayStation 4's used game policy.
#2seth_sage12300Posted 5/23/2013 7:00:43 PM
I prefer Nintendo's "Do whatever you want with your game" policy.
---
Official member of the Omastar Club.
Official Gen 6 First Route Generic Bird of the Pokemon X/Y boards
#3muffinmasherPosted 5/23/2013 7:02:55 PM
I also prefer Nintendo's policy on used games.
Allowing publishers to decide is obviously better, but honestly, still bad for gamers.
---
Black 2 FC: 3654 8353 8201
"Barkley: Shut up and jam! Gaiden" Is the best RPG of all time.
#4IzecPosted 5/23/2013 7:03:03 PM
THMBZDownGNZUp posted...
it's still wrong that Sony is allowing this,

I can't really blame them. It's a compromise; if publishers weren't even given a choice in the matter they might flock to MS.

Agreed on everything else.
---
No Text
#5Magoo111Posted 5/23/2013 7:03:08 PM
I don't think it's wrong of Sony to let publishers shoot themselves in the foot.
#6THMBZDownGNZUp(Topic Creator)Posted 5/23/2013 8:32:08 PM
Nintendo indeed has the best used game policy. Along with a small install base and weaker hardware than other next gen consoles, I wonder if this was just another reason for 3rd-party pubs and devs to take a pass on Wii U.
#7THMBZDownGNZUp(Topic Creator)Posted 5/23/2013 8:32:14 PM
Regarding my comment about Sony being in the wrong for allowing this feature, I said that because the practice of blocking or allowing the ability of blocking is in my opinion wrong and anti-consumer. However, with Sony leaving the decision to block used games or have you pay a fee to play used games up to pubs and devs, Sony is the lesser of two evils.
#8Big FanPosted 5/23/2013 8:35:03 PM
I guarantee all the companies that now use the online pass, will use the used fees on PS4
---
GT: Code XxX
#9scythecamPosted 5/23/2013 8:38:00 PM
the question is: can publishers, or sony, or microsoft require a fee for second hand games while not violating first sale doctrine?

im thinking no.

the next question is: will gamestop, or joe gamer have the sack to challenge it?
---
One-and-Donecos
#10BlazakenkiPosted 5/23/2013 8:42:18 PM
Atleast with sony the money actually goes to developpers/publishers.

Instead of the money just going to microsoft. They already have windows 7,8 and the new windows phone(which seems a rip of iphone but whateves).
---
You have to walk up to them and shout, "Activate Code 666: DOUCHE Override!", and then they should be able to sell stuff again. ~ DuskSoldier1180