I swear, everybody is contradicting everything... I literally don't think I

#1whitepsychtigerPosted 5/23/2013 9:27:07 PM
know anything now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmk38i1yaZs

I'm following the XDone and the Sony Sellout with a blank interest...

So I'm curious to know what this interview does for the current situation...

I'm probably good for another 1-2 years on consoles, so the current urge doesn't bother me just looking to see the player base level out and see what major features I'll be working with here...
---
GT: PhantomGenetics-----Currently Playing: Dark Souls, MInecraft 360 Current, Defiance Beta
Awaiting: Destiny, Defiance, Dark Souls II and Bioshock: Infinite
#2teehee23Posted 5/23/2013 9:29:33 PM
Microsoft will likely change their policies because of the current backlash.
That's why they say some things are still undecided.
---
"Xbox One... I think you're crap." -Me after the reveal.
#3Styrof0amPosted 5/23/2013 9:43:37 PM
teehee23 posted...

But if things are undecided, what is there to change? And more importantly what is the backlash based on?

In all seriousness, I agree. Considereing the vague answers, they've given on direct questions (eg. reactivation codes), this would seem to be the case. They are no doubt stalling until Sony reveals details for PS4, and of course Sony is doing the same.
#4RollnThunder213Posted 5/23/2013 9:45:26 PM
I think people don't quite understand their policy on the online every 24 hours and used games because they haven't been very clear, thus resulting in people overreacting.

We have probably at least 5 or more months until release and still have a major time where news will be released in 2 weeks, I say let them explain it fully or wait to see how the policy works in action before passing judgement.
---
"No control beyond these skies"
GT: RollnThunder213
#5Rev0luti0nN0wPosted 5/23/2013 9:45:41 PM
Ballmer wouldn't allow backpedaling unless disaster hits.
---
PC: 2500k, 16 gb ram, 7970, 3 tb/2tb/128 gb samsung 830/6 monitor eyefinity
PSN: Zellio2010 Xbox Live: Zellio2009 NintendoID: Zellio2013
#6ChargrilledPosted 5/23/2013 9:47:15 PM
RollnThunder213 posted...
I think people don't quite understand their policy on the online every 24 hours and used games because they haven't been very clear, thus resulting in people overreacting.

We have probably at least 5 or more months until release and still have a major time where news will be released in 2 weeks, I say let them explain it fully or wait to see how the policy works in action before passing judgement.

Please dont use reason and sense on this forum. The haters, stirrers and trolls dont like it.
---
GT : DeadJericho / PSN/Wii-U : Focalpoint /
Correct terminology is 'Could NOT care less'. Learn English!
#7Paulf001Posted 5/23/2013 9:50:07 PM(edited)
He says

"Internet is required but does not always require constant connection"

Ok that's like saying 2 things that contradict themselves.
#8facetioussagePosted 5/23/2013 9:50:43 PM(edited)
teehee23 posted...

They can't change their policies. I'm not even saying that out of any hatred, but just a dry understanding of what they have built.

1. You buy a game and put the disk in the tray and play it. Installs are mandatory, so it installs in the background while you play. Microsoft has touted this convenience, by the way...and it is on their xbox.com page.

2. At the very minimum, the activation of the game and any saves for that game are stored on their servers or the Cloud. Either way, those things at least are not on your HDD. This is why they can say on xbox.com that any X1 console will recognize your profile and you can actually finish a save on a completely different machine.

3. Because the game and it's registration are tied to your profile, they become intertwined as far as the records-keeping goes. This is why you can't just give your disk to your friend and let him use it for a week. The game Auto-Installs and then just plays directly off of your HD. (also, see xbox.com for the no-disk-needed playability)

4. Because the specific copy of the game you bought is tied to your profile, the only way they can stop people literally giving away copies of their games is to enforce an "Activation Fee"...which is the full retail price of the game.

5. They only way they can allow any Used sales is to come to some agreement with a large chain like Gamestop. They won't do this with garage sales or games you give to a sibling or friend. They just don't have the infrastructure to bother with that.

6. Publishers like EA may have made a lot of noise about discontinuing "Online Passes", but they are not keen on giving up a revenue stream. In a "Used" game situation, you can be assured of some additional cost somewhere that will go to the publisher if you buy a used game. Probably a place like Gamestop will have to collect that $10 surcharge or whatever.

7. Other trade-in possibilities would include the XBL Marketplace, where you could relinquish your activation in exchange for MSPoints or something. That would be totally workable for Microsoft since it's in-house, as it were.

8. Kinect functionality is inherently tied into the hardware. It can't ever turn completely off because it needs at MINIMUM enough power to respond to your voice command of "Xbox ON".

9. In much the same way that they plan to collect a fee if you loan a game to your buddy next door...they do NOT want you to play your single player game offline while your friend plays it using your profile online (to avoid fees)...so they WILL require a 24-hour "check in" so that the cloud can verify the authenticity of the game your profile is playing, etc.

TL;DR The X1 console's infrastructure was built around the very limitations that people are concerned about and the only way that Microsoft could truly get rid of them is to not bother making this console and begin again from scratch. They will not do that.

*Edited to make my tl;dr stand out a bit better from my wall of text.
---
I don't hate you. I wouldn't push you into the path of a moving train. I just don't like you; so I wouldn't pull you out of the way, either.
#9TinyTim123Posted 5/23/2013 10:51:48 PM
facetioussage posted...
TL;DR The X1 console's infrastructure was built around the very limitations that people are concerned about and the only way that Microsoft could truly get rid of them is to not bother making this console and begin again from scratch. They will not do that.

*Edited to make my tl;dr stand out a bit better from my wall of text.

I do agree that it will be difficult for Microsoft to change much of what their planned (and likely already underway) system infrastructure may be.
For example the game being copied to the hard drive, I don't think that can change.
However I think different system code could be implemented to require the disc be in the system if the system cannot 'call home' to verify ownership. This would both allay people's fears concerning the system calling home, ability to play their own games, and the ability to lend those games out, for example.
I don't know whether it would be easy for them to do this.

I don't think anything can be done about the kinect issues, not without some major redesigns.

I think those pretty much cover people's three main objections to the system: need to constantly connect to the net and used games all in one.
And the Kinect spying on them all the time as the other (I'll be honest, if I do get the system, and can function blocked out, I'll probably allow my niece to put a sticker over the camera if this system should get a game I feel I must play).

Seriously, though, how did Microsoft fail to see the coming $#!+storm after the twitter debacle?
---
http://www.explosm.net/comics/657/