Lets hope kinect visual DRM doesnt happen.

#1Monkey_FuPosted 5/24/2013 10:02:56 AM
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/24/xbox-one-will-kinect-2-use-visual-drm
#2Th3ParadigmPosted 5/24/2013 10:12:53 AM
Microsoft is going too damn far.
---
https://soundcloud.com/theparadigm-1
I'm ssj3vegeta's best friend.
#3bessy67Posted 5/24/2013 10:14:43 AM
I love how people see this and just assume MS will use it in every application or even use it at all. To me it seems like a good way to rent movies to people while they are still in theaters or to offer an alternative to ridiculous pay-per-view prices.
---
"Immigrants. That's all they do, you know. Just driving around, listening to raps, shooting all the jobs." - Malory Archer
GT: Bessy67
#4Th3ParadigmPosted 5/24/2013 10:18:20 AM
bessy67 posted...
I love how people see this and just assume MS will use it in every application or even use it at all. To me it seems like a good way to rent movies to people while they are still in theaters or to offer an alternative to ridiculous pay-per-view prices.

Thing is, the article never said anything about Microsoft personally selling movies, etc.
---
#5bessy67Posted 5/24/2013 10:20:49 AM
Th3Paradigm posted...
bessy67 posted...

Thing is, the article never said anything about Microsoft personally selling movies, etc.

Just like it never said anything about them having actual plans to implement this technology.
---
"Immigrants. That's all they do, you know. Just driving around, listening to raps, shooting all the jobs." - Malory Archer
#6Th3ParadigmPosted 5/24/2013 10:41:56 AM
bessy67 posted...
Th3Paradigm posted...
bessy67 posted...

Just like it never said anything about them having actual plans to implement this technology.

There is a chance they MAY use this due to the Kinect patent 2.0. Thanks for admitting you are wrong.
---
#7Monkey_Fu(Topic Creator)Posted 5/24/2013 12:37:01 PM
The interesting about this is that MS response is that, while the xbx1 mic is always on... You have to give the command "Xbox on".
Which is a conflicting response as the Xbox is "already on" considering it literally is an all in one media hub and the issue at hand is DRM when watching a show or movie, thus the console is on. (You can't use the blu ray player or stream with the console off <duh>. )

And also during the reveal, there were times the presenter did not make a command by saying "Xbox ___", just cycled through saying TV or home.
#8blazeUP12Posted 5/24/2013 12:39:03 PM
"The users consuming the content on a display device are monitored so that if the number of user-views licensed is exceeded, remedial action may be taken," it reads.

Why do they phrase this like a punishment?
---
hello earthlings, i am from another planet
http://www.youtube.com/XXtheJUMPoffXX
#9bessy67Posted 5/24/2013 12:40:07 PM
Th3Paradigm posted...
bessy67 posted...
Th3Paradigm posted...
bessy67 posted...

There is a chance they MAY use this due to the Kinect patent 2.0. Thanks for admitting you are wrong.

How am I wrong? I said that they haven't announced whether they'll even use this technology or not (fact) and that one application of such technology is home rentals of movies still in theaters (fact).
---
#10pureragePosted 5/24/2013 12:43:09 PM(edited)
blazeUP12 posted...
"The users consuming the content on a display device are monitored so that if the number of user-views licensed is exceeded, remedial action may be taken," it reads.

Why do they phrase this like a punishment?

Because it is a punishment - YOU are being punished for exceeding the license you purchased...in their eyes it's like buying a copy of WIndows 8 - the license entitles you to 3 installs, if you install on a 4th machine they want you to pay up...same concept here - if you rent a movie over their streaming service and have more than 2 people in the room watching it, they want you to pay for 2 movie rentals..

please don't construe this response as me agreeing with the patent/concept, just clarifying/explaining it.

---
"Those who would trade liberty for security deserve neither."
-Benjamin Franklin