Xbox One Store is coming - trade in digital games, rentals and more

#1robcramPosted 5/25/2013 7:19:59 AM
Some speculation on the new Xbox One store based on what has been said by Microsoft thus far, some leaked rumors and a bit of forward thinking thrown in for god measure,

The jist of the piece basically suggests

Trade in digital games,

rentals

used sales at retail

discounts

and loyalty rewards

http://cramgaming.com/xbox-one-to-allow-online-used-sales-of-digital-games-xbox-one-store-speculation-7215/
---
http://cramgaming.com
#2ExtraspectrePosted 5/25/2013 7:21:20 AM
So yeah rumors.

No matter how far they backpedal on the used gaming issue, online checks still kill this console for me.
---
Gamefaqs: The most passive aggressive place on the internet.
#3TorajimaPosted 5/25/2013 7:24:41 AM
robcram posted...
Trade in digital games,
rentals
used sales at retail

And Microsoft and Publishers will take their cut.

No used sales among friends, or ebay, or amazon sales partners... only directly thru Microsoft and their retail partners (Gamestop).
#4robcram(Topic Creator)Posted 5/25/2013 7:27:26 AM
Well that's been their plan for a long time, to take their cut from this market that simply benefits them very little financially. Rather than come down on it in a draconian way, I certainly have some faith that they will attempt to make it beneficial in some ways to compensate. I mean, right now, the idea of being able to trade in digital content is alien. But this would be a very smart move.
---
#5plo617Posted 5/25/2013 7:30:08 AM
Yeah, requiring online will still be a big problem for a lot of people. Even the ones with steady internet. I will not be getting one, for that restriction alone.
#6TorajimaPosted 5/25/2013 7:34:58 AM
robcram posted...
Well that's been their plan for a long time, to take their cut from this market that simply benefits them very little financially.

And why does Microsoft or the game Publisher deserve the cut? What makes Video Games an exception to every other used market in America?

And I'd argue it does benefit them financially, even if they don't realize it. I've been introduced to several new game series thru used purchases, thru borrowed games, and thru rentals... if I become a fan, I'm much more likely to pay full price in the future.
#7robcram(Topic Creator)Posted 5/25/2013 7:39:21 AM
I'm not saying they do or don't deserve a cut from used sales, but at the end of the day if it somehow can benefit us in the longer term, then it's better surely?

However, I guess most people will simply see it as MS using it to put more coin in its pockets and not passing on any gains to the consumers. This might be the case or might not. Who knows until it happens, or some plans are actually revealed to the masses so we're informed what the intent is. I mean, if publishers get more money, should that equate to us lot getting better quality, and more games?
---
#8robitussin217Posted 5/25/2013 7:40:09 AM
Still, no ownership. The XBone is only used to rent games. According to that article, you might be able to rent games for a short period, or pay the full premium price to rent the game until M$ dies or removes the game from the marketplace when the next console is released.

UNLESS! Upon removing an old game from their marketplace, the game no longer requires the code on the disc and will work anywhere at any time.
#9ChargrilledPosted 5/25/2013 7:51:52 AM
Torajima posted...
robcram posted...
Trade in digital games,
rentals
used sales at retail

And Microsoft and Publishers will take their cut.

No used sales among friends, or ebay, or amazon sales partners... only directly thru Microsoft and their retail partners (Gamestop).

Wrong

Whoever installs the game has the licence.
If you sell it, as soon as that person installs ithe game once received the licence belongs to them
---
GT : DeadJericho / PSN/Wii-U : Focalpoint /
Correct terminology is 'Could NOT care less'. Learn English!
#10RisingWaterPosted 5/25/2013 8:02:26 AM
Digital trade-in marketplace would be a great thing.