Real Concerns About Xbox One

#1ArchBladeZEROPosted 5/25/2013 9:02:57 AM
Ive been reading this message board ever since the announcement for Xbox One, and it has been an unending source of entertainment to see people ranting vs the people defending it and after taking time to be informed I wanted to put my two cents in.

I have my own issues about the Xbox one that is pretty much the same as most everyone else. Used Games, DRM, Online required, etc. But What i think is a much bigger issue is what these changes are displaying as a dramatic shift in the perception of the higher-ups that make these systems and thus are in direct control of the consoles.

Video games used to be a completely consumer driven business, games were sold because they were good, sequels were made because we enjoyed the original, online play was made easier because it was what we craved. But with the new changes to Xbox one I am very much seeing a shift from what we want as consumers to what developers and console companies are telling us what we want.

Many people are throwing around the word "Entitlement" Because we feel that we have certain expectations for our game consoles. And while that could be true, we cant be blamed for it because that is what we are used to. We have been conditioned to believe that we have a voice and a choice to what we want to have for our video games and how we want our preferred method of entertainment to entertain us. And that isnt a bad thing!

I feel that Video Game Companies are feeling Entitled. They have gotten our money for so long that they think that they can just tell us what we want and what is best for us with their choices for Used Games, DRM, Additional features that we may or may not want that have absolutely nothing to do with video games themselves, and in the end we will just do it because we dont have a choice.

We are at a crossroad here. We have a chance to shape the future of video games right here and right now. As consumers we can either go along with this and tell developers that we will do whatever they want and accept anything they try to sell us. Or we can tell them NO! We will not stand for our choices being taken away and having to "settle" for a sub par gaming experience.

Finally, I ask anyone who disagrees with me... When will it be enough? How much do game companies have to take away before you finally say "Im done, they are so out of touch with what I want, I dont even recognize them anymore!" Will you always buy and play what they dish out no matter what? Or is there a line where you feel that you cant stand it anymore and that the video game experience youve loved had been lost?
#2spooiePosted 5/25/2013 9:09:03 AM
Microsoft hasn't even released their console, and they've already lost me entirely for at least the next 5-8 years.
---
Owner of The NES, SNES, N64, GCN, Wii, SMS, GEN, TG16, PSX, PS2, PS3, XBOX, 360, GB, GBC, GBA SP, GB Micro, DS, DSLite, PSP and a lot of crappy games. --BLINGO!
#3weltall1028Posted 5/25/2013 9:11:41 AM
Well said, ArchBlade. I agree 100%.

A lot of Xbox One defenders are under the mistaken impression that this is a console war issue. It is actually an issue that affects all of gaming, and if allowed to take root and grow, it could severely cripple the industry. I for one, will not support any console that does this, doesn't matter who makes it.
---
The 7th generation of gaming really blows. Let's get rid of all these online shooters and bring back turn-based RPGs.
#4kdiz4321Posted 5/25/2013 9:11:53 AM
Agreed and this very thing is why "well just don't buy it" is not enough. We want no one to buy it so it sends a message to the companies that we will not support this stuff and if they want our business they will have to stop.
---
I am not an early adopter. If your system is as awesome as you say it is, it will still be in stores when the games I want are out.
#5FoppePosted 5/25/2013 9:12:47 AM
These boards have always been filled with rocket scientists that have complained about consoles...
If they were in power, then they would make sure that they would build a console with hardware that wont hit the PC market for another 3 years, it would cost less than $299 and all developers would be able to push the hardware limits with their launch titles.
So I wonder...
Why is nobody gathering these people and actually create a console?
I mean, according to these boards, it must exist a market for this kind of powerhorse that only focus on games. Nothing else. No TV, no multimedia hub, nothing else.
And since it exist a market, it will sell. And developers will make games because it sells.
And then the big 3 will see what the gamers really want, right?
Right?
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#6YeomanlyPosted 5/25/2013 9:16:01 AM
This is just not starting right now though with this generation, it began ages ago and has already proven people really don't care.

Look back at music sales on iTunes, games sales on pads/phones, Steam etc, DRM has been growing outside of hardcore gaming for a long time.

Microsoft are only doing as they say, following trends.
#7ArchBladeZERO(Topic Creator)Posted 5/25/2013 9:22:04 AM
"If they were in power, then they would make sure that they would build a console with hardware that wont hit the PC market for another 3 years, it would cost less than $299 and all developers would be able to push the hardware limits with their launch titles."

I cant speak for everyone, but Personally, that isnt what Im looking for.

I personally could care less about the technology and the hardware involved in making a game. Minecraft is the perfect example, it doesnt have to be cutting edge, it doesnt have to push limits, it just has to be a good game. And good games are born from the people who play them.

Price is also nearly irrelevant, if it really costs alot of money to make a good console, then so be it, people will find a way to play it or borrow it or resell it or whatever.

My point isnt that I feel that consumers can do better, my point is that Video Game companies should work together WITH consumers. That way they can develop a product that will make them money and keep the consumers happy so that they will continue to buy their product.

My fear is that with the way things are going, developers and console creators are ignoring us and just going with what they think is best or what will make them the most money. And if we protest, their attitude is "You dont know what you want, we know what you want, so you need to accept that."
#8blazeUP12Posted 5/25/2013 9:22:05 AM
The following months will probably just solidify the negative perception of Xbox One even more. People are waking up from their Halo daze and realizing this thing is shackles in a box.
---
hello earthlings, i am from another planet
http://www.youtube.com/XXtheJUMPoffXX
#9drfirepantsPosted 5/25/2013 9:31:31 AM
I don't understand why people are against companies finding new ways to innovate on their previous designs though. Adding features does not detract from features that were already in place. You don't have to use the new features, but they are there for you and there are many people who will use them. They are taking advantage of technology that is in place and growing (internet) and have plans to use that in ways that have not been used before. You have no idea how these features can be implemented in the future or what other possible ideas it might lead to. Sure the PS4 will play games, will most likely play them very well, but in the end it is just a PS3 with upgraded specs for the most part. The Xbox One will still play games as well, and will most likely play them very well also, but it at least has some room to grow as a console down the road and possibly give people an opportunity to interact with their games, and other media, like they haven't before.
#10blazeUP12Posted 5/25/2013 9:41:58 AM
drfirepants posted...
I don't understand why people are against companies finding new ways to innovate on their previous designs though. Adding features does not detract from features that were already in place. You don't have to use the new features, but they are there for you and there are many people who will use them. They are taking advantage of technology that is in place and growing (internet) and have plans to use that in ways that have not been used before. You have no idea how these features can be implemented in the future or what other possible ideas it might lead to. Sure the PS4 will play games, will most likely play them very well, but in the end it is just a PS3 with upgraded specs for the most part. The Xbox One will still play games as well, and will most likely play them very well also, but it at least has some room to grow as a console down the road and possibly give people an opportunity to interact with their games, and other media, like they haven't before.

You should work for M$ cause you sure convinced me. Not
---
hello earthlings, i am from another planet
http://www.youtube.com/XXtheJUMPoffXX