24hr check doesn't equal always online?

#21epicglorymanPosted 5/25/2013 8:16:51 PM
Foxx3k what are you doing with the money microsoft is paying you
---
"I HAVE NO PEERS OR EQUALS ONLY ENEMIES AND FOLLOWERS" epicgloryshot xbl & psn
#22garcia_jxPosted 5/25/2013 8:17:49 PM
2Dshmuplover posted...
I believe the finer details still haven't been confirmed yet. I was under the impression it would do a 24hr check if you plan on playing your games without the disk, but you CAN play offline but you will need to you your disks. That's how I've read it as they've said the machine will work if you don;t have the internet.

I think this is the most likely scenario. Well, we'll know for sure at e3.
#23Random222Posted 5/25/2013 8:17:54 PM
facetioussage posted...
"not every minute of every day, no"

It's semantic nonsense. Online is required. Unless the game can check in to verify authenticity, it won't be able to be played.

By lowering the frequency of checks, one can say "You don't ALWAYS have to be on" and be absolutely 100% truthful without addressing the full ramifications of the question.

So, yeah, 24 hour checks are effectively "always online" insofar as it pretty much carries the same hassles and potential bricking risks if something happens like the MS end of things gets hacked and they have to remove access for longer than the "check in" period.

The other risk entailed is an even more likely event....if they should have some small glitch or a clerical error that fails to see a legally purchased game as authenticated, then the legal purchaser of that game would be unable to play it unless they were somehow able to prove it to Customer Support.

That hassle alone could be sidestepped by the simple act of not even having this scheme in place, but consumer convenience takes a back seat to the ability to monopolize on the entire Used Games industry.

So instead we will get a series of topics somehow thinking that this semantic nonsense is a valid defense to a bad idea.

( ',')b
#24jonnovision1Posted 5/25/2013 8:19:10 PM
garcia_jx posted...
2Dshmuplover posted...
I believe the finer details still haven't been confirmed yet. I was under the impression it would do a 24hr check if you plan on playing your games without the disk, but you CAN play offline but you will need to you your disks. That's how I've read it as they've said the machine will work if you don;t have the internet.

they've been saying you don't need the disc at all, with no mention of keeping it for offline play, for awhile now.
---
"Reinforcements? I am the Reinforcements."
PKMN Black FC: 0261 9500 8363
#252DshmuploverPosted 5/25/2013 8:35:09 PM
jonnovision1 posted...
garcia_jx posted...
2Dshmuplover posted...

they've been saying you don't need the disc at all, with no mention of keeping it for offline play, for awhile now.

Yeah you don't need it, but there's really no benefit for them to lose out on the millions of people who have no access to an internet connection when they can just implement the above system. It makes no sense other wise. I believe having the ability to access your physical library without swapping disks will be a luxury that is enforced by online checks as each disk will come with it's own security code (that will be tied to your console and checked every 24hrs to make sure it knows where the physical copy is).

So while you might install it in offline mode the minute you remove the disk and take it back to the store you won't be able to play it, in much the same way as the 360 works today. I suppose in theory those who are strictly offline will be able to trade game freely among each other and negate the profile restrictions but that would entail sacrificing the entire online element (patches/DLC...everything) which is not such a good deal.

Why would they go on record to say you can use the Xbox offline when you actually can't according to you.. it makes no sense..
---
The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.
GT: cloudskipa
#26jonnovision1Posted 5/25/2013 8:36:44 PM
2Dshmuplover posted...
jonnovision1 posted...
garcia_jx posted...
2Dshmuplover posted...

Yeah you don't need it, but there's really no benefit for them to lose out on the millions of people who have no access to an internet connection when they can just implement the above system. It makes no sense other wise. I believe having the ability to access your physical library without swapping disks will be a luxury that is enforced by online checks as each disk will come with it's own security code (that will be tied to your console and checked every 24hrs to make sure it knows where the physical copy is).

So while you might install it in offline mode the minute you remove the disk and take it back to the store you won't be able to play it, in much the same way as the 360 works today. I suppose in theory those who are strictly offline will be able to trade game freely among each other and negate the profile restrictions but that would entail sacrificing the entire online element (patches/DLC...everything) which is not such a good deal.

Why would they go on record to say you can use the Xbox offline when you actually can't according to you.. it makes no sense..

this entire posts relies on Microsoft being a perfectly sensible company, they aren't.
---
#27GrimMTrixXPosted 5/25/2013 8:42:54 PM
I find it odd that we have the physical disc, in our hands, yet when placed into the system it wont work. All auto-installing aside, the game physically exists... why it cannot be played is just such an odd notion.
---
XBL/PSN: GrimmTrixX
#282DshmuploverPosted 5/25/2013 8:48:27 PM
GrimMTrixX posted...
I find it odd that we have the physical disc, in our hands, yet when placed into the system it wont work. All auto-installing aside, the game physically exists... why it cannot be played is just such an odd notion.

But we already know the disks will come with it's own unique security code which is tied to your machine as that's what they plan on the shops using to operate their preowned system, so it only stands to reason this code will also be used to validate the game if you have no internet connection in the same way it does now on 360.

Mark my words.
---
The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.
GT: cloudskipa
#29jonnovision1Posted 5/25/2013 8:53:19 PM(edited)
2Dshmuplover posted...
GrimMTrixX posted...

But we already know the disks will come with it's own unique security code which is tied to your machine as that's what they plan on the shops using to operate their preowned system, so it only stands to reason this code will also be used to validate the game if you have no internet connection in the same way it does now on 360.

Mark my words.

then pray tell, why would they not mention this while they were talking about the online requirement? why would they keep such a useful feature secret?
---