Those who oppose backwards compatibility, tell me I'm wrong

#1Shaolin015Posted 5/28/2013 7:34:09 PM
This is why backwards compatibility is do important:

Theoretical story: if bluray players weren't backwards compatible with DVDs, if they stopped selling DVD players, if they never rereleased movies on to bluray format. Do you think people would get upset. The DVD player would break at some point rendering all those movies useless.

This is even more important when dealing with stories that are still ongoing. Assassins creed and halo and just to name a few that have stories that are continuing through generations.

On the movie side of things. What if Star Wars was never rereleased on DVD? Yes, that would mean every single on of you would own only the prequel trilogy and the original trilogy would only be grandpa's story to tell by the fire :P

So tell me I'm wrong. Some of us gamers like story driven games. And we want to go back and play the story from time to time. Without the whole story that spans across generations, the whole story is incomplete and feels empty.
#2Tsutarja495Posted 5/28/2013 7:42:33 PM
Old systems do break, but so do old media formats themselves. DVDs get scratched up over time, they won't last forever. Luckily we are moving towards a digital future where physical media is obsolete, removing the need for backwards compatibility with the physical media. We already see many services offering downloadable movies rather than discs.

The same concept applies to games. The Xbox 360 isn't backwards compatible with the N64, so one couldn't put their copy of Banjo & Kazooie into the 360. They could download it from the Xbox Live Arcade though. See? No need for BC.
#3Cloud75xPosted 5/28/2013 7:57:36 PM
the gaming industry is like any other industry, its there to make a profit.

They want you to buy the new system and they'll make sure you do. Sony is forcing users to use only the PS4 controller if they want to play the PS4, for starters.

I'll use your dvd example as well.

That too is a business model that will eventually become true one day. Bluray's are the new media and one day DVD's will phase out and people will be forced to upgrade. That's just how technology works. But because DVD's are still popular they still exist and since disc pretty much are the same format, just bigger data storage (though I know I am missing some tech stuff here) any player can recognize each format the higher up you go (like every new microsoft word can identify and read every previous version of word but an older version cannot read the newer).

TL;DR
If the code changes with a new system, then from a business standpoint you have to ignore the old stuff and keep going on with the new stuff. Sooner or later consumers will have to catch up or fall out of the market all together but no matter what there will always be buyers.
---
"That which does not become part of the one, shall become one with the void."
#4jonnovision1Posted 5/28/2013 7:59:12 PM(edited)
Tsutarja495 posted...
Old systems do break, but so do old media formats themselves. DVDs get scratched up over time, they won't last forever. Luckily we are moving towards a digital future where physical media is obsolete, removing the need for backwards compatibility with the physical media. We already see many services offering downloadable movies rather than discs.

The same concept applies to games. The Xbox 360 isn't backwards compatible with the N64, so one couldn't put their copy of Banjo & Kazooie into the 360. They could download it from the Xbox Live Arcade though. See? No need for BC.

that only works if they put every game ever on the 360 on the X1 via digital download, and they won't, and even then who wants to repurchase their entire 360 library?
---
"Reinforcements? I am the Reinforcements."
PKMN Black FC: 0261 9500 8363
#5dejavu1982Posted 5/28/2013 11:05:29 PM
jonnovision1 posted...
Tsutarja495 posted...

that only works if they put every game ever on the 360 on the X1 via digital download, and they won't, and even then who wants to repurchase their entire 360 library?

Me, as I just redownloaded 34 games *shocker* it takes 5 minutes to put them in your Q, and enable the xbox to download while I go to bed. And by morning........TADA! Back to normal.
#6BeastLeeAdamsPosted 5/28/2013 11:08:01 PM
dejavu1982 posted...
jonnovision1 posted...
Tsutarja495 posted...

Me, as I just redownloaded 34 games *shocker* it takes 5 minutes to put them in your Q, and enable the xbox to download while I go to bed. And by morning........TADA! Back to normal.

Unless you have a 1 Mbps Internet because your parents are cheap and won't upgrade the Internet, or won't let you use your money either to upgrade.
---
"Go die. Everyone should go die.
Brb. Dying." - NashtheLion