The Xbox One logo,(and the branding and look in general).

#1GuillermoGagePosted 5/28/2013 9:52:40 PM
http://0.tqn.com/d/xbox/1/0/b/5/xbox360logo1.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Xbox_One_Logo.jpg

So, the new logo is whiter, and the X is wider and doesn't fully converge into pointed shapes at the bottom, and there isn't any light glowing from the "chasm".

Well, what do you think of these sorts of things? the boxart stripe, the look of the console?
#2ssj954vegitoPosted 5/28/2013 10:14:56 PM
360s was better, should'a went blue or something.
---
proud to be a strange EPic
You ever notice that everything in the universe spins.
#3VanderZooPosted 5/28/2013 10:18:46 PM
I prefer the new logo. But the original Xbox logo is still the best:

http://blog.gamesdaypodcast.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/xbox-logo-original.jpg
---
Man of Steel - 14.06.13
"You will give the people of Earth an ideal to strive towards"
#4facetioussagePosted 5/28/2013 10:26:53 PM
In comparison, I don't think I really like that original logo. The "B" looks really awkward.

It's cleaned up a lot better in the other two, in my opinion, and actually looks more like it belongs with the other letters there.

I like the lighter colors of the X-Sphere in the Xbox One logo, but prefer the use of color to match the globe in the 360 logo. I also prefer the tigher positioning of both the symbol and the text in the 360 version, but I think I would like the Xbox One logo a little bit better if they could do something with the text to make it visually more interesting to look at.

The lighter colors of the new Xbox One logo feel appropriate in light of the stated direction of Microsoft, and subliminally suggests a brighter future, which obviously carries a positive subtext.

I think waaaaay too much about stuff like this. I should never have clicked on this topic.

I'm going to stop now. I'll just say that 360 narrowly beats the new logo for my tastes and that the first logo would have been a contender if it weren't for that bizarre looking "B".
---
I don't hate you. I wouldn't push you into the path of a moving train. I just don't like you; so I wouldn't pull you out of the way, either.
#5GuillermoGage(Topic Creator)Posted 5/29/2013 11:47:14 AM
facetioussage posted...
I prefer the tighter positioning of both the symbol and the text in the 360 version

How is the text tighter in the Xbox 360 logo? It looks identical.

Also, what is your opinion of the thing sticking out of the B on the 360 and One logos?
Having the thing stick out makes it look like it is supposed to be a sans-serif "one-letter cursive" or something, but it being cut diagonally at the end, with it slanting upward and to the right, maybe that subliminally gives a message of progress and rising higher, for written languages that are read left to right.

Do you reckon that the thing that sticks out of the B makes it look like if that B where to be physically drawn in one bending stroke without "taking the pen off the paper", that it would start at the end of that line.

But then, which little D is the one being drawn first? the top one of the bottom one? Because the rest of the logo for both the Xbox 360 and Xbox One are uniform and symmetrical-ish.
#6gobuffalo30Posted 5/29/2013 11:49:25 AM
I'm at work so I'm not able to go viewing things like this but I wouldn't have been surprised if it was a middle finger.
#7facetioussagePosted 5/29/2013 12:36:14 PM
GuillermoGage posted...
facetioussage posted...
I prefer the tighter positioning of both the symbol and the text in the 360 version

How is the text tighter in the Xbox 360 logo? It looks identical.

Also, what is your opinion of the thing sticking out of the B on the 360 and One logos?
Having the thing stick out makes it look like it is supposed to be a sans-serif "one-letter cursive" or something, but it being cut diagonally at the end, with it slanting upward and to the right, maybe that subliminally gives a message of progress and rising higher, for written languages that are read left to right.

Do you reckon that the thing that sticks out of the B makes it look like if that B where to be physically drawn in one bending stroke without "taking the pen off the paper", that it would start at the end of that line.

But then, which little D is the one being drawn first? the top one of the bottom one? Because the rest of the logo for both the Xbox 360 and Xbox One are uniform and symmetrical-ish.

Poor phrasing on my part. I should say having the text copy under the symbol gives it a tighter look whereas having the text copy to the side of the symbol extends it outward and feels "looser" to me, like it's just wandering off to the side. It's just my subjective opinion, though.

I really can't say if they were thinking the "B" through to the degree that you describe when designing the original Xbox logo. It's possible. It's just as possible that they just wanted something that stood out.

For my tastes, I'm not fond of it. Since that's really only subjective, the opinion of someone who really likes it is equally as valid.

What I think I like more about the later logos is the symbol design. In the Original logo, the X pattern is just embedded into a flat dark surface. If you used it anywhere, you'd have to square off boundries for it, or put it on an all black background.

By moving the the spherical design, they were able to still use that X pattern, but in a way that is more open to visual interpretation. I see it as symbolic of leaving their impression on the world. Others may see it different. That's it's strength. It is a simple design at it's core, and yet it is immediately identifiable to the product it represents. The globe encasing allows it to be scaled to letterhead, business cards, web pages and any other form of visual media and adapt to any size restrictions without any arbitrary borders making it feel as if it does't belong.

I mentioned the lighter color seemed appropriate for Microsoft's new direction, but there is also a practical consideration that the white color of the sphere will more readily work with a wider array of visual media it is put upon better than the grey will.

From a design standpoint, the simplicity and visual communication of the symbol is a top-notch job. The best symbols are not so visually complex that they distract, but they are visually distinctive enough to immediately deliver the identity of the product it represents.
---
I don't hate you. I wouldn't push you into the path of a moving train. I just don't like you; so I wouldn't pull you out of the way, either.
#8GuillermoGage(Topic Creator)Posted 5/30/2013 10:24:32 AM
facetioussage posted...
facetioussage posted...
I should say having the text copy under the symbol gives it a tighter look whereas having the text copy to the side of the symbol extends it outward and feels "looser" to me, like it's just wandering off to the side. It's just my subjective opinion, though.

I really can't say if they were thinking the "B" through to the degree that you describe when designing the original Xbox logo. It's possible. It's just as possible that they just wanted something that stood out.

I wasn't talking about the original Xbox logo. I was talking about the 360 and One logos. do you know what i am talking about with the "B" in those logos?

As for the statement about the text appearing above or to the side of the sphere, well that was just a copy of the logo I found quickly with no indication of how it will be positioned on the box packaging. Whether the text is above or below the sphere depends on where it is being shown. The boxart for BOTH 360 and One has the text on the right.

Basically, in official images, both the 360 and the One have the text either below, or to the right of, the sphere interchangeably on websites and promotional material.
#9TheVillageIdiotPosted 5/30/2013 10:26:00 AM
I like green in my MS console logos.