Do people seriously think the Kinect will be recording footage of them?

#1Golden MavenPosted 5/29/2013 8:54:26 AM
Think about it for a moment. Do you seriously think the Kinect will be recording footage of you all the time it's on, and transmitting that data back to Microsoft?

Has anyone thought about the storage and bandwidth necessary to do so? People's upload usage would be off the charts, some of us happen to have metered internet connections.

And what is going on at Microsoft? Huge data centers collecting all this video footage?
#2Ch3wyPosted 5/29/2013 8:56:00 AM
Probably not raw footage, but they have said it will be collecting data(IF you opt-in).
#3MrSpaM111Posted 5/29/2013 8:56:46 AM
Golden Maven posted...
Think about it for a moment. Do you seriously think the Kinect will be recording footage of you all the time it's on, and transmitting that data back to Microsoft?

Has anyone thought about the storage and bandwidth necessary to do so? People's upload usage would be off the charts, some of us happen to have metered internet connections.

And what is going on at Microsoft? Huge data centers collecting all this video footage?

Did you chose not to watch the part of the conference where they told us how many servers they are going to have running to support this console?
#4Golden Maven(Topic Creator)Posted 5/29/2013 8:57:43 AM
Right, collecting some basic usage pattern data (as Google does, for example). Not footage of you playing video games in your spiderman underwear.
#5failure_turtlePosted 5/29/2013 8:58:24 AM
http://www.techhive.com/article/2037632/don-t-freak-out-but-the-government-records-and-stores-every-phone-call-and-email.html

....i'll just leave this here
---
Be yonce.
#6SORS_IMMANISPosted 5/29/2013 8:59:26 AM(edited)
What if I don't want Microsoft and everyone they sell data to knowing that I eat Ready Salted crisps, drink Becks and wear My Little Pony underpants?
#7Blue_EarthPosted 5/29/2013 8:59:01 AM
Sure one among millions (or maybe just a few if it's flops) chances.
But the potential to be spied on is there and I don't like it.
Why take a risk? Maybe bored employee will do it sometime?
I wouldn't mind if it can be turned off.
---
PlayStation Network: Aoi_Chikyuu
Tatoe kono saki nani ga attemo, boku tachi wa tomodachi de iyou
#8Ch3wyPosted 5/29/2013 8:59:34 AM
Golden Maven posted...
Right, collecting some basic usage pattern data (as Google does, for example). Not footage of you playing video games in your spiderman underwear.

But they'll know you are wearing spiderman underwear and they'll tell everyone else that you like spiderman underwear so that they can sell related products to you.
#9Ch3wyPosted 5/29/2013 9:00:02 AM
SORS_IMMANIS posted...
What if I don't want Microsoft and everyone they sell data to knowing that I eat Ready Salted crisps, drink Becks and wear My Little Pony underpants?

Then don't opt in for it.
#10Golden Maven(Topic Creator)Posted 5/29/2013 9:02:28 AM
Blue_Earth posted...
Why take a risk? Maybe bored employee will do it sometime?

Because you could easily find out by monitoring your bandwidth usage and router logs. It's not like the Kinect is beaming directly back to Microsoft using some advanced form of communication. It still needs to use your personal internet connection.