im so happy The Evil Within is coming to X1

#1XTGhost85Posted 5/29/2013 9:35:47 AM
The 1st next gen survival horror game for Xbox One, PS4

IGN

Publisher: Bethesda

Developer: Tango Gameworks

Platforms: Xbox 360, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4

Release Date: 2014

There will be a group of people that assume The Evil Within is basically a new version of Resident Evil 4. Considering both games are directed by survival horror genre father Shinji Mikami, and both feature a chainsaw-wielding maniac confronting a police officer isolated from his team, the similarities are worth noting. But there's a tone and style to Evil Within that feels completely different from the Resident Evil franchise, which has increasingly resembled something out of a Michael Bay movie, with spectacle and explosions being emphasized over the kind of claustrophobic fear that we all want in survival horror.

And that's what Evil Within embraces. Watching a demo of this game is quite honestly terrifying, at times a thrilling cat and mouse game with the aforementioned chainsaw beast, at times a standoff with dozens of mutant/zombie type things in a shack, and at times a mad dash away from some sort of undead woman with spider arms bursting from her sides. Each sequence I've seen has been more tense and more disgusting than the next, and it'll be fascinating to see how it all binds together as an experience. We're a ways away from this one, but I'm looking forward to seeing what else I can learn about this project. It seems as though Mikami, in his quest to save Resident Evil, may have pushed the survival horror genre in the wrong direction. This is his attempt to fix that mistake. And I for one am really liking his efforts so far.
---
Xbox GT Silent Ghost MP PSN LoveDragons85