XBox One = the new DIVX

#1AlexPumaPosted 6/7/2013 12:57:20 PM
For those unaware or too young to remember the whole DIVX scandal, here's an article with a two paragraph snippet for those too lazy to click links.

http://hometheater.about.com/library/weekly/aa062199.htm

The official DIVX product rollout began on Friday, September 25, 1998. The units were referred to as DIVX enhanced DVD players. The players were offered for sale by Circuit City, and a few other retailers and sold for an average $50 to $100 more than a DVD player, they were DVD players that could play DIVX discs as well. This disc format allowed the consumer to make an intitial movie purchase for as low as $4.49, which allowed one to watch the movie as many times as they wanted within a 48 viewing period. In order to watch the film again after that time, the viewer had to reactivate the viewing period with the DIVX computer. In other words, the player was tied in to the phone line and the consumer had to punch in his credit card number to a main-frame computer in Virginia in order to view his movie.

... In addition, DIVX discs could only be viewed on the player that it was activated on--you couldn't take the movie to a friend's house to watch it. Lastly, regular DVD players could not play a Divx movie. In essence, this format had the potential of not only taking your viewing freedom away, but the retail and entertainment industry could easily gain the capacity to know what DIVX movies you watched and when you watched them...

TL;DR? It was a DVD Player where you didn't own the movies you bought, two days after watching it the disc becomes useless unless you pay a fee. You could not trade in or borrow out movies tied to your player. Needless to say, this bombed, and I'm certain its failure was part of the reason for Circuit City's downfall.

Oh, its also unrelated to the DivX video codec that is often used online nowadays.
---
http://www.gaming-unleashed.com/
"Oh I can handle any load that comes my way....." - Savott
#2NCPwnPosted 6/7/2013 12:59:16 PM
The more you know.....
---
Top 10 Favorite games of all time (in order):
NIER, Zelda WW, Secret of Mana, Zelda OoT, Rainbow Moon, Valkyria Chronicles, DAOC, MAG, Tachyon, Myst
#3Razor2602Posted 6/7/2013 1:01:13 PM
DivX made a player never knew that o.O just assumed it was an online player like window media viewer and what not
#4AlexPuma(Topic Creator)Posted 6/7/2013 1:14:08 PM
Razor2602 posted...
DivX made a player never knew that o.O just assumed it was an online player like window media viewer and what not

A DVD player created to curb movie piracy would eventually lead to the codec that is in almost every pirated movie out there. If that isn't irony, I don't know what is.
---
#5BrownGottiPosted 6/7/2013 1:21:24 PM
AlexPuma posted...
Razor2602 posted...

A DVD player created to curb movie piracy would eventually lead to the codec that is in almost every pirated movie out there. If that isn't irony, I don't know what is.

Truth!!!
#6Sniper_BrosefPosted 6/7/2013 1:29:19 PM
AlexPuma posted...

TL;DR? It was a DVD Player where you didn't own the movies you bought, two days after watching it the disc becomes useless unless you pay a fee. You could not trade in or borrow out movies tied to your player. Needless to say, this bombed, and I'm certain its failure was part of the reason for Circuit City's downfall.

Oh, its also unrelated to the DivX video codec that is often used online nowadays.

So, it's nothing like the Xbox One then?
---
Detroit Sports Rule!!! - Millen is gone forever!!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. Keith.....I loved you man.....you will be sorely missed.
#7AlexPuma(Topic Creator)Posted 6/7/2013 2:55:13 PM
Sniper_Brosef posted...
AlexPuma posted...

So, it's nothing like the Xbox One then?

Exactly. This is just gaming console where you don't own the games you buy, if you don't check in every 24 hours the disc becomes useless. Trading in or borrowing out games are possible though*.

*In very specific circumstances. The very fact that an asterisk is needed next to that statement is bad.
---
#8FoppePosted 6/7/2013 3:06:32 PM
I remember when Blizzard bought a license to use the DIVX codec back in... I think it was 2001...
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#9regsantotomasPosted 6/7/2013 3:11:28 PM
As a person who was an active member of the home theater community to promote DVD over DIVX.

This is a very different scenario.

DIVX would stop working after a very short period. It was a temporary license. Once the viewing period was over, you could never watch that movie again without buying the same disc again.

While I have my own concerns about how licensing and DRM restrictions are being handled with gaming next generation; these two technologies and their marketing application have very little parallel by comparison.
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
#10NeoAndurilPosted 6/7/2013 3:17:55 PM
Exactly. This is just gaming console where you don't own the games you buy, if you don't check in every 24 hours the disc becomes useless. Trading in or borrowing out games are possible though*.

*In very specific circumstances. The very fact that an asterisk is needed next to that statement is bad.

dont mind brosef he's on the ms payroll.