XBox One = the new DIVX

#11NeoAndurilPosted 6/7/2013 3:19:02 PM
While I have my own concerns about how licensing and DRM restrictions are being handled with gaming next generation; these two technologies and their marketing application have very little parallel by comparison.

No I'd say they are orthogonal directly interacting at the point that you don't own the media you buy. Really regs, with all the news come out about the xb1 I can't believe you're still for this product.
#12regsantotomasPosted 6/7/2013 3:24:00 PM
NeoAnduril posted...
While I have my own concerns about how licensing and DRM restrictions are being handled with gaming next generation; these two technologies and their marketing application have very little parallel by comparison.

No I'd say they are orthogonal directly interacting at the point that you don't own the media you buy. Really regs, with all the news come out about the xb1 I can't believe you're still for this product.

Believe it, DIVX and Xbox One aren't the same thing.

I actually created a thread - that no one responded to - about my problems with the 24 hour check because I believe it is a flawed DRM with potential pitfalls.

That doesn't mean that every single one of these 'next gen' consoles aren't flawed in their own way.

At the end of the day, I will still buy the entertainment that works for me and my family.

It's why I own a smart phone, cable, etc despite serious objections with those services as well.
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
#13AlexPuma(Topic Creator)Posted 6/8/2013 12:03:47 AM
regsantotomas posted...

I actually created a thread - that no one responded to - about my problems with the 24 hour check because I believe it is a flawed DRM with potential pitfalls.

That doesn't mean that every single one of these 'next gen' consoles aren't flawed in their own way.

At the end of the day, I will still buy the entertainment that works for me and my family.

It's why I own a smart phone, cable, etc despite serious objections with those services as well.

I never really said they were the same thing. I mostly was pointing out some parallels, mostly how cynically anti-consumer both products were/are. While DIVX is far, far worse in concept, I think we will see a consumer backlash similar for the XBone. I imagine, in 3-4 years time, we'll see articles talking about how the Xbox One was Microsoft's "New Coke".
---
http://www.gaming-unleashed.com/
"Oh I can handle any load that comes my way....." - Savott
#14Sith JediPosted 6/8/2013 12:15:11 AM
AlexPuma posted...
regsantotomas posted...

I never really said they were the same thing. I mostly was pointing out some parallels, mostly how cynically anti-consumer both products were/are. While DIVX is far, far worse in concept, I think we will see a consumer backlash similar for the XBone. I imagine, in 3-4 years time, we'll see articles talking about how the Xbox One was Microsoft's "New Coke".

The title of your topic is quite literally saying they're the same thing.

That being said, I hope the system bombs enough at launch that Microsoft decides to either scrap the DRM or at least heavily modify it. At least make it more like Steam where you can play offline for around 2 weeks or so before checking in.