Mark cerny says you can't improve graphics by using cloud

#151easymodexzPosted 7/18/2013 9:18:04 AM
Sheepinator posted...
So now you're saying it isn't worth the expense of getting better graphics from the cloud, i.e. the cloud can lead to better graphics, using your conveniently made up stats of the benefit and the cost. What if your estimates of benefits and costs are wrong though? Seems very, very likely that they are, since you're pulling them from you know where.

If the cloud is only providing a minor improvement in graphics, then that is correct: no sane business is going to buy into it for a negligible gain. It costs money to develop the feature. It costs direct $ to maintain the service from MS. If you're not gaining any business advantage for the costs ... then don't?

For games where the online server component is actually meaningful, then publishers already do it in this generation

PSO already has servers. Fighting games have online matchmaking. Some racing games or w/e have online sharing of player data / AI. FPS games have servers [note: I don't play FPSs on consoles, so I don't know how much dedicated server support is provided, versus peer hosted games].

For publishers that actually have a meaningful business case for implementing an online / server-based feature ... guess what, they already do it.

The cloud service offering from Microsoft [potentially] reduces the cost for these publishers (although the publishers would be locked into MS's service and the XB1, so this is probably a bad option for multiplats -- they would use an independent cloud server hosting option, not Microsoft's).

The net result is that only small publishers who are willing to go XB1 exclusive would use it, or small/midsize publishers who are willing to deal with a separate server hosting solution for the XB1 and for the PS4 (and possibly PC).

For example, IIRC Borderlands doesn't have dedicated servers and is already built with a multiplayer / networking component. This is a situation where the company may be willing to fork over a lower overhead to purchase cloud server hosting from MS to improve their pre-existing multiplayer for gamers.
#152Soul_On_DisplayPosted 7/18/2013 9:18:48 AM
bob15x posted...
So you will also admit that Gaikai will probably suck?

Seeing as how Gaikai only makes the promise to basically provide older games through streaming, I say it should do its job just fine.
---
~TL;DR? Don't care.~ || ~ I despise campers. ~
#153JusticeSwordPosted 7/18/2013 9:21:02 AM
Soul_On_Display posted...
bob15x posted...
So you will also admit that Gaikai will probably suck?

Seeing as how Gaikai only makes the promise to basically provide older games through streaming, I say it should do its job just fine.

Sony arent making bold claims about the clouds power, only modest & realistic claims.
---
PSN:TheDragonzord
>_> Sonic The Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles HD remix please
#154The_DarkwalkerPosted 7/18/2013 9:21:34 AM
To be fair, Cerny says it "wouldn't work very well" not that it wouldn't work at all. Still if some processes can be offloaded to the cloud it does free up resources for potentially better graphics. The question is, would it be of any noticeable, measurable quality to the human eye?
---
Evil always wins because Good is dumb.
PSN ID: xDARKWALKERx // Gamertag: I DarkWalker I
#155easymodexzPosted 7/18/2013 9:24:20 AM
^

Indeed, and the clincher is that even if there is some improvement, is it worth the cost?

The publishers aren't going to increase costs for negligible improvement.
#156BSerenityPosted 7/18/2013 9:25:00 AM
The_Darkwalker posted...
To be fair, Cerny says it "wouldn't work very well" not that it wouldn't work at all. Still if some processes can be offloaded to the cloud it does free up resources for potentially better graphics. The question is, would it be of any noticeable, measurable quality to the human eye?

Question: will it be worth the cost in development and upkeep for a very small, insignificant boost?
---
La morte sgorga dalle mie dita... Non v'e dubbio, tale e il desiderio dell'ignobile; dannata innocenza!
#157Soul_On_DisplayPosted 7/18/2013 9:26:12 AM
The_Darkwalker posted...

I'd avoid using specificities too if people tend to hang on my every word when I make claims. The train of thought here is that it almost certainly can't help add graphical enhancements to games in the way that some optimistic fans think. Either you stream full games through cloud, or you don't stream them at all. Adding quality through cloud doesn't exist in the way we want it to.
---
~TL;DR? Don't care.~ || ~ I despise campers. ~
#158IemanderPosted 7/18/2013 9:30:07 AM
The_Darkwalker posted...

No it doesn't *sigh*. Please be reasonable people, the cloud is not going to have anything offloaded that would improve performance of the machine.

The best examples of cloud based solutions are MMOs. Have you ever playen an MMO that looks better and runs better than games like Skyrim?
---
PC: i7-3820 | GTX 680 | 16GB DDR3 ---- Laptop: Dell Precision M6700 | i7-3740QM | Quadro K3000M | 16GB DDR3
360 | PS3 | DS | 3DS | Vita
#159xsabrewulfPosted 7/18/2013 9:34:19 AM
Cloud computing can improve HUGE on calculations, and graphics, physics and everything consists of calculations.

So the cloud can process "extra" information to help gaming.

Mark works for Sony, why would he promote or talk up about a feature the PS4 can't do?

remember everything you see on screen are just a bunch of 1 and 0's which can be processed VIA internet.
#160Fez2d2Posted 7/18/2013 9:34:22 AM
bob15x posted...
Fez2d2 posted...
Cloud is an excuse for an unfinished game. The new always online system. What happen to your games when M$ stop supporting the Xbox one?

Probably best if you step back from the conversation because you do not seem to know much.

and Sony will be using the cloud heavily too, unless you didn't know that.

That's all you got? Both Sony and M$ plans of using their clouds are different.