Mark cerny says you can't improve graphics by using cloud

#161BSerenityPosted 7/18/2013 9:37:38 AM
xsabrewulf posted...
Cloud computing can improve HUGE on calculations, and graphics, physics and everything consists of calculations.

So the cloud can process "extra" information to help gaming.

Mark works for Sony, why would he promote or talk up about a feature the PS4 can't do?

remember everything you see on screen are just a bunch of 1 and 0's which can be processed VIA internet.

Much ignorance I see.
---
La morte sgorga dalle mie dita... Non v'e dubbio, tale e il desiderio dell'ignobile; dannata innocenza!
#162chaoscontrol325Posted 7/18/2013 9:48:44 AM
No, but i assume it can help pull some of the weight like a game. for example games that can't run split-screen because it's too heavy. I'm pretty sure the cloud can help with that.

That said, I'm not a fan of the Xbone and I have absolutely zero intention of buying it, but credit where credit is due.
---
PSN: Lazuri65 XBL:LazuriXIII
If you don't write you're from GameFAQs and what board in the friend request, you will be denied.
#163gobuffalo30Posted 7/18/2013 9:56:27 AM
I'll just add "X1 supporters" as another reason not to buy X1. I couldn't imagine playing an online game with them.
#164easymodexzPosted 7/18/2013 10:01:40 AM(edited)
chaoscontrol325 posted...
No, but i assume it can help pull some of the weight like a game. for example games that can't run split-screen because it's too heavy. I'm pretty sure the cloud can help with that.

It won't. Running split-screen is a local function. In addition all the data required to process what should be run on the second screen is ... local.

It's basically not possible unless you run the entire game server-side. Rofl.

That said, I'm not a fan of the Xbone and I have absolutely zero intention of buying it, but credit where credit is due.

The only "credit" Microsoft gets is attempting to monopolize the server hosting market for console games, with a general side-benefit of improving server hosting accessibility for small publishers.

For those two pieces alone I'd give MS a 50/50 for "raw business strategy vs. actually offering something of value to consumers".

For the marketing gimmick, I give a major thumbs-down to MS for so blatantly exploiting the pure ignorance of the consumer base.
#165bob15xPosted 7/18/2013 10:06:57 AM
Fez2d2 posted...
bob15x posted...
Fez2d2 posted...
Cloud is an excuse for an unfinished game. The new always online system. What happen to your games when M$ stop supporting the Xbox one?

Probably best if you step back from the conversation because you do not seem to know much.

and Sony will be using the cloud heavily too, unless you didn't know that.

That's all you got? Both Sony and M$ plans of using their clouds are different.

thats all i need for what you said. your description on cloud is for unfinished games. There is so much more to it than that.

Just having dedicated servers will be a huge bonus and considering how many online games there are, its not like it will be a rare thing.
#166bob15xPosted 7/18/2013 10:09:09 AM
easymodexz posted...

It won't. Running split-screen is a local function. In addition all the data required to process what should be run on the second screen is ... local.

The only "credit" Microsoft gets is attempting to monopolize the server hosting market for console games, with a general side-benefit of improving server hosting accessibility for small publishers.

For those two pieces alone I'd give MS a 50/50 for "raw business strategy vs. actually offering something of value to consumers".

For the marketing gimmick, I give a major thumbs-down to MS for so blatantly exploiting the pure ignorance of the consumer base.

If anything, I think the texture tiling feature in direct x 11.2 will make the most graphical difference and help close the gap somewhat. We may get back to the point where textures look better on xbox one, but everything else is better on ps4.
but I will wait till I see it first before final judgement.
#167MCC1701Posted 7/18/2013 10:10:44 AM
Dedicated servers, webmail, MMOs.

The cloud will work the EXACT SAME WAY!

Improving performance in your single-player games is laughable.

Source: I work at an IT firm that focuses on MS and virtualization. The employee 5 feet to my right spends all day on Azure and "cloud" servers.
---
36: Ancient
Awarded to users with at least 2000 Karma.
#168SheepinatorPosted 7/18/2013 10:13:06 AM
easymodexz posted...

Wrong again. Split screen means an additional camera, so every game frame that's more animation processing, twice as much clipping and sorting, twice as much display list processing, etc. You can't offload that additional processing to a cloud. However, by offloading certain other processing like NPC behavior and animation, that could free up local CPU cycles which can then be used for split screen overhead.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#169bob15xPosted 7/18/2013 10:14:22 AM
MCC1701 posted...
Dedicated servers, webmail, MMOs.

The cloud will work the EXACT SAME WAY!

Improving performance in your single-player games is laughable.

Source: I work at an IT firm that focuses on MS and virtualization. The employee 5 feet to my right spends all day on Azure and "cloud" servers.

I think everyone is going to call BS on that.
#170Pasha777Posted 7/18/2013 10:16:58 AM
bob15x posted...
If anything, I think the texture tiling feature in direct x 11.2 will make the most graphical difference and help close the gap somewhat. We may get back to the point where textures look better on xbox one, but everything else is better on ps4.
but I will wait till I see it first before final judgement.

'Partially Resident Textures' is an AMD technology adapted by DX11.2. They changed the name to 'Tiled Resources'. It was made by AMD with OpenGL in mind (PS4 uses OpenGL).
Here's AMD engineer's Tweet about that:
https://twitter.com/NThibieroz/statuses/350228228461428737

http://renderingpipeline.com/2012/03/partially-resident-textures/

So, PS4 can do it as well, just saying.