Mark cerny says you can't improve graphics by using cloud

#171IemanderPosted 7/18/2013 10:18:46 AM
bob15x posted...
MCC1701 posted...
Dedicated servers, webmail, MMOs.

The cloud will work the EXACT SAME WAY!

Improving performance in your single-player games is laughable.

Source: I work at an IT firm that focuses on MS and virtualization. The employee 5 feet to my right spends all day on Azure and "cloud" servers.

I think everyone is going to call BS on that.

No one's calling BS on that, I work as a Microsoft developer on azure cloud network as well.
---
PC: i7-3820 | GTX 680 | 16GB DDR3 ---- Laptop: Dell Precision M6700 | i7-3740QM | Quadro K3000M | 16GB DDR3
360 | PS3 | DS | 3DS | Vita
#172easymodexzPosted 7/18/2013 10:23:17 AM(edited)
bob15x posted...
MCC1701 posted...
Source: I work at an IT firm that focuses on MS and virtualization. The employee 5 feet to my right spends all day on Azure and "cloud" servers.

I work at an IT consulting firm and I review business cases for cloud computing of all sorts (edit: all sorts because the federal government has placed a high priority on 'cloud-enabled' or 'cloud-compatible' projects, even where they're not really warranted). The client I work for recently migrated their entire datacenter / network to a cloud [virtualized] server hosting facility (aka almost exactly what Microsoft is offering, except this company services anyone on the internets, not just XBox publishers).

But everyone here's bs'in so it's all b.s.
#173MCC1701Posted 7/18/2013 10:23:56 AM
bob15x posted...
MCC1701 posted...

It's all true, but I'm not going to go out of my way to make people believe me.

To be clear though, the three examples at the top are examples of what "the cloud" will really do for you, IE hosting, storing data, and computing large environments for simultaneous use.

As for working at an IT firm, totally true. Kelly is in the next cubicle over and is right now on the phone talking to one of our clients regarding migrating their website and server to azure so they do not have to run their own local server.
---
36: Ancient
Awarded to users with at least 2000 Karma.
#174Leon_HisaragiPosted 7/18/2013 10:24:33 AM
MrImpatient35 posted...
Did people actually think the cloud would improve the graphics? I was thinking it would improve other things, like maybe draw distance, textures, AI, etc. Small things. Graphics? lol that's silly.

All that needs to be said.
---
"The truth is, you're the weak, and I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm trying Ringo. I'm trying real, hard, to be the shepherd."
#175tmtyfPosted 7/18/2013 10:24:47 AM
MCC1701 posted...

sure you do bud.

while it might not be able to make graphics better, it can add to the game or offload some processes which could then be used to increase graphics etc. Titanfall developer said PC version would be different than Xbox one version due to what the cloud offers so it must add some benefit.
---
"You are just a puppet... You have no heart...and cannot feel any pain..." -Sephiroth
#176IemanderPosted 7/18/2013 10:30:15 AM
tmtyf posted...
MCC1701 posted...

sure you do bud.

while it might not be able to make graphics better, it can add to the game or offload some processes which could then be used to increase graphics etc. Titanfall developer said PC version would be different than Xbox one version due to what the cloud offers so it must add some benefit.

LOL, you think cloud developers are anything special, 'bud' ? Shows how ignorant you are about the real world.

Any process that is "offloaded" in the cloud will lose performance, not gain any.
---
PC: i7-3820 | GTX 680 | 16GB DDR3 ---- Laptop: Dell Precision M6700 | i7-3740QM | Quadro K3000M | 16GB DDR3
360 | PS3 | DS | 3DS | Vita
#177easymodexzPosted 7/18/2013 10:33:26 AM
MCC1701 posted...
As for working at an IT firm, totally true. Kelly is in the next cubicle over and is right now on the phone talking to one of our clients regarding migrating their website and server to azure so they do not have to run their own local server.

Is Azure being offered as server hosting for customers in general or is it being sold 'only' to Xbox publishers? If 'general', then are Xbox publisher customers getting better rates?

Don't know if you know but just curious.
#178MCC1701Posted 7/18/2013 10:35:02 AM
easymodexz posted...
MCC1701 posted...

Is Azure being offered as server hosting for customers in general or is it being sold 'only' to Xbox publishers? If 'general', then are Xbox publisher customers getting better rates?

Don't know if you know but just curious.

I don't know about better rates, but it is a server farm for pretty much anyone who wants to use it. You MAY have to be registered with a company, but it is likely you could register just as an individual.
---
36: Ancient
Awarded to users with at least 2000 Karma.
#179BSerenityPosted 7/18/2013 10:36:17 AM
tmtyf posted...
MCC1701 posted...

sure you do bud.

I never read or heard Respawn say this... Plus, it would be seriously stupid to say this unless they are planning on intentionally gimping the PC version. It could just be PR twist once again.

I would like a link to the statement from Respawn if there was such to begin with.
---
La morte sgorga dalle mie dita... Non v'e dubbio, tale e il desiderio dell'ignobile; dannata innocenza!
#180easymodexzPosted 7/18/2013 10:49:23 AM
MCC1701 posted...
<I don't know about better rates, but it is a server farm for pretty much anyone who wants to use it. You MAY have to be registered with a company, but it is likely you could register just as an individual.

I wonder if game publishers for multiplats can host servers using Azure for the PS4 versions of their games.

Wonder if PSN or Azure would block that in some fashion.