Mark cerny says you can't improve graphics by using cloud

#231L96A1BOSSPosted 7/20/2013 6:06:14 AM
M$ was just buzzwording you with could only because they see Sony with gaikai where Sony explain what the service does like play PS1,PS2,PS3 and even PS4 games on the Vita you need a mental check.

M$ was giving You smokes and mirrors only for the weak minded and xbox fanboys.
#232woebegottenPosted 7/20/2013 8:08:32 AM
Sheepinator posted...
You have no idea what you're talking about. As clearly demonstrated by the limits of your contribution being a personal attack. Next time try actually presenting an argument. If you want to explain how two different things are identical, let's hear it.

Cloud computing is nothing but a marketing term for distributed computing, of which client/server is a specific example of. A server is a computer, a console is a computer, and consoles already act as servers on peer to peer. You are attempting to make a distinction where there is none. You also maybe are thinking that clients never access servers outside of a lan, or some other entirely baseless assumption about what a buzzword does or does not mean. If the servers are processing for clients, then that is cloud computing. The marketing term 'cloud-based servers' happens to have the word servers in it, in case you missed that. There is no specific restriction saying that if you do not call it cloud computing that you cannot have more than one proc/mobo/rack/etc included. The "cloud" existed for a few decades before someone decided to give it that dumbass name.
#233zidane13412Posted 7/20/2013 8:13:17 AM
lol @ all the crazy people still calling it a NSA box, like seriously? get a life. Also supposedly if it can increase draw distance and AI, then that IS improvement, draw distance being graphic wise. So away with you trolls. Also Cloud obviously has some cool benefits like Forza 5 where as crappy GT will be the same boring game as always.
#234supermoc10Posted 7/20/2013 8:23:17 AM
Gillian Seed posted...
supermoc10 posted...
Gillian Seed posted...
That doesn't sound good for Sony either. One of the things that has me interested in the PS4 is Sony says they might make PS3 games available through Gaikai. I'll be able to play PS3 games I never got a chance to.

If Cerny is saying graphics can't be improved by the cloud why should I think the cloud can completely handle graphics? I'm guessing older generation games might be doable, but his words makes me think a game like The Last of Us won't be.

By taking this shot at Microsoft he also made me question one of the things I liked about the PS4. It even makes me think they don't have much faith in Gaikai. If they did they would know not to downplay cloud gaming.

Cloud Streaming =/= Cloud Computing

How are they different? Admittedly, I'm not entirely sure how Gaikai will work. Hell, I thought cloud streaming and cloud computing went hand in hand. Here's how I thought Gaikai would work. I might be off.

The cloud, Gaikai, is online servers, or whatever. They'll act as a PS3; all the game processing will be ran completely on them. That would be the computing. Then the game is streamed to the PS4. That would be the streaming.

Doesn't Gaikai also have to do some computing in the cloud? I imagine the computing has to be done somewhere, and it's not being done on the PS4.

Though I always had reseverations about Microsoft's power of the cloud talk. It's just now I'm thinking I should have the same reservations about Sony's own cloud talk.

Cloud Streaming: Gaikai sends you a video signal, you send information via button inputs, Gaikai sends you a new video signal after receiving your information. Everything runs on the server

Cloud Computing: Certain properties, such as the AI, are offloaded to dedicated servers while the rest of the game is running on the hardware.

So far, we know that the PS4 is able to do cloud streaming thanks to Gaikai. Unlike what a lot of people think and what MS try to make us think, any console that can connect to the internet could use cloud computing (proof: MMOs. There's not a single consumer machine that can run a modern MMO in its entirety mostly because of the AI)
---
PSN & Xbox Live: supermoc10
"Mr Zurkon does NOT come in peace"
#235zidane13412Posted 7/20/2013 8:30:46 AM
supermoc10 posted...
Gillian Seed posted...
supermoc10 posted...
Gillian Seed posted...
That doesn't sound good for Sony either. One of the things that has me interested in the PS4 is Sony says they might make PS3 games available through Gaikai. I'll be able to play PS3 games I never got a chance to.

If Cerny is saying graphics can't be improved by the cloud why should I think the cloud can completely handle graphics? I'm guessing older generation games might be doable, but his words makes me think a game like The Last of Us won't be.

By taking this shot at Microsoft he also made me question one of the things I liked about the PS4. It even makes me think they don't have much faith in Gaikai. If they did they would know not to downplay cloud gaming.

How are they different? Admittedly, I'm not entirely sure how Gaikai will work. Hell, I thought cloud streaming and cloud computing went hand in hand. Here's how I thought Gaikai would work. I might be off.

The cloud, Gaikai, is online servers, or whatever. They'll act as a PS3; all the game processing will be ran completely on them. That would be the computing. Then the game is streamed to the PS4. That would be the streaming.

Doesn't Gaikai also have to do some computing in the cloud? I imagine the computing has to be done somewhere, and it's not being done on the PS4.

Though I always had reseverations about Microsoft's power of the cloud talk. It's just now I'm thinking I should have the same reservations about Sony's own cloud talk.

Cloud Streaming: Gaikai sends you a video signal, you send information via button inputs, Gaikai sends you a new video signal after receiving your information. Everything runs on the server

Cloud Computing: Certain properties, such as the AI, are offloaded to dedicated servers while the rest of the game is running on the hardware.

So far, we know that the PS4 is able to do cloud streaming thanks to Gaikai. Unlike what a lot of people think and what MS try to make us think, any console that can connect to the internet could use cloud computing (proof: MMOs. There's not a single consumer machine that can run a modern MMO in its entirety mostly because of the AI)

sweet, you guys will have to wait til next year to have a select few ps3 games take advantage of the ps4s amazing power of cloud. Meanwhile the xbox will have actual nice features, like drivatar, and spark.
#236zmd22Posted 7/20/2013 8:55:45 AM
This might be good news for the Xbox one.

http://www.videogamer.com/news/cerny_explains_how_ps4s_graphics_will_evolve_over_time.html
#237Pacman2dxPosted 7/20/2013 9:30:00 AM
Isn't the cloud just a really odd way to describe dedicated servers?
---
XBL - FA7ALtheGOD / PSN - FATALtheGOD
''Laugh, and grow fat ..'' - Fatman (MGS2)
#238L96A1BOSSPosted 7/20/2013 10:23:00 AM(edited)
Pacman2dx posted...
Isn't the cloud just a really odd way to describe dedicated servers?

Sure is a good way to let M$ drones feel better about themselves. Xbox the power of the could (lol) you will never see what this M$ cloud is because it a buzz-word.
#239IzecPosted 7/20/2013 11:46:23 AM
Both Cerny and the article editor are 100% correct.

Graphics are hardware and software based; remote computations cannot help them in any direct sense. And most people don't have powerful enough connections to offload enough tasks to the cloud to get a significantly improved visual experience.

ElPolloDiablo87 posted...
It's obviously PR speak from the competitor. Common sense dictates that offloading latency-insensitive operations to the cloud frees up system resources for latency-sensitive operations. More system resources = better graphics.

He didn't say it's impossible, just that it won't work well. Which is true for most people.
---
No Text
#240supermoc10Posted 7/20/2013 12:12:14 PM
zidane13412 posted...
supermoc10 posted...
Gillian Seed posted...
supermoc10 posted...
Gillian Seed posted...

sweet, you guys will have to wait til next year to have a select few ps3 games take advantage of the ps4s amazing power of cloud. Meanwhile the xbox will have actual nice features, like drivatar, and spark.

Why do you say you guys? I'm getting an Xbox One too (I'm no fanboy like most idiots on both boards). Also, I think my post was more objective than subjective.

Should the PS4 get "cloud computing", it would have nothing to do with Gaikai (that's a service). If a game wanted to use "cloud computing", it could do so as long as the user connected to the internet, regardless of it the platform is a PS4, an Xbox One, a Vita or a Wii U. In other words, "cloud computing" is nothing new, it's simply a buzz-word for dedicated servers.

I hope that you are now educated.
---
PSN & Xbox Live: supermoc10
"Mr Zurkon does NOT come in peace"