Mark cerny says you can't improve graphics by using cloud

#241SheepinatorPosted 7/20/2013 1:46:21 PM(edited)
woebegotten posted...
Cloud computing is nothing but a marketing term for distributed computing, of which client/server is a specific example of. A server is a computer, a console is a computer, and consoles already act as servers on peer to peer. You are attempting to make a distinction where there is none. You also maybe are thinking that clients never access servers outside of a lan, or some other entirely baseless assumption about what a buzzword does or does not mean. If the servers are processing for clients, then that is cloud computing. The marketing term 'cloud-based servers' happens to have the word servers in it, in case you missed that. There is no specific restriction saying that if you do not call it cloud computing that you cannot have more than one proc/mobo/rack/etc included. The "cloud" existed for a few decades before someone decided to give it that dumbass name.

So you're saying player hosting of a server/client game is identical to a scalable cloud being used to distribute tasks to. The person I was replying to when you jumped in was claiming a peer-to-peer connected game with no servers was the same thing as MS is doing with XB1. Just because there are connected computers does not make it identical.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#242woebegottenPosted 7/20/2013 2:39:34 PM
I'm saying distributed computing is distributed computing, and servers can be used for it, which is really the main thrust of MS' marketing. They have been heavily hyping the increase in servers and VMs for this new roll out. But Folding @ Home is a prime example of how the XBone is not doing anything new in distributed computing, even in the console realm. Add in the PC space, and there's not much room to crow. They are not tripling the power of the XBone, or whatever some of their PR folks have claimed.
#243Born LuckyPosted 7/20/2013 2:44:26 PM
Wait . . people still think that the magic "cloud" is somehow going to make their console more powerful and increase performance.?

Next week - the magical unicorn rainbow fluffies will download mega-mighty RAM . .. right into your controller, to make the buttons work better

duh huh.
---
I was talking to the parrot - Poirot
#244DrEaM_420Posted 7/20/2013 2:59:12 PM
Born Lucky posted...
Wait . . people still think that the magic "cloud" is somehow going to make their console more powerful and increase performance.?

Next week - the magical unicorn rainbow fluffies will download mega-mighty RAM . .. right into your controller, to make the buttons work better

duh huh.

What moron thought online storage would improve graphics....oh ya I'm on gamefaqs
---
Dream on..
#245pblimp360Posted 7/20/2013 3:53:53 PM
Who the hell is Mark Cerny?
---
Death isn't the exit of existence. It's the entrance into eternity. R.I.P Zora Nelson 3/6/13 Forever loved
#246supermoc10Posted 7/20/2013 4:14:45 PM
pblimp360 posted...
Who the hell is Mark Cerny?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Mark+Cerny
---
PSN & Xbox Live: supermoc10
"Mr Zurkon does NOT come in peace"
#247570ocfuPosted 7/20/2013 4:49:41 PM
ninja_starX posted...
http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/07/17/ps4s-mark-cerny-explains-what-works-and-what-doesnt-work-with-cloud-computing/

This is very bad news for m$ and xbots as this mean the ps4 will have a huge advantage in graphics and overall performance.

Buy whatever makes you feel better. You don't have to constantly put down XB1 to justify your PS4 purchase.
#248HalecticPosted 7/20/2013 10:52:41 PM
Gaikai can do cloud computing, Hawking is a prime example of it. The difference with Gaikai is the game is not ran on the console hardware.
---
Digimon World Dawn FC 000111545835
#249zidane13412Posted 7/21/2013 11:01:40 AM
L96A1BOSS posted...
Pacman2dx posted...
Isn't the cloud just a really odd way to describe dedicated servers?

Sure is a good way to let M$ drones feel better about themselves. Xbox the power of the could (lol) you will never see what this M$ cloud is because it a buzz-word.

shut up you fool. You have no idea what you are talking about. you dont need to be a MS drone to actually know that the cloud has advantages, and does more then dedicated servers. the very first cloud based software for xbox was to backup save data. that right there is wonderful in itself. But now there will be stuff like drivatars, which are not coming to ps4....hmmm I wonder why? Not too mention all of the Devs that are talking about how it will help, ala Titanfall and all the others that even say that it can help to some sort of degree. Im not a drone for believing it, but you sure are a sony pony if you believe the cloud doesnt have amazing features.
#250MrSpaM111Posted 7/22/2013 3:16:56 AM
zidane13412 posted...
L96A1BOSS posted...
Pacman2dx posted...
Isn't the cloud just a really odd way to describe dedicated servers?

Sure is a good way to let M$ drones feel better about themselves. Xbox the power of the could (lol) you will never see what this M$ cloud is because it a buzz-word.

shut up you fool. You have no idea what you are talking about. you dont need to be a MS drone to actually know that the cloud has advantages, and does more then dedicated servers. the very first cloud based software for xbox was to backup save data. that right there is wonderful in itself. But now there will be stuff like drivatars, which are not coming to ps4....hmmm I wonder why? Not too mention all of the Devs that are talking about how it will help, ala Titanfall and all the others that even say that it can help to some sort of degree. Im not a drone for believing it, but you sure are a sony pony if you believe the cloud doesnt have amazing features.

Drivatars are just a ghost of your laps sent to the Forza servers and downloaded by your friends, I believe tons of driving games already let you upload your ghost laps for other people to download. I don't see what's so special about this at all other than it's called Drivatars.

'Oh it combines your best laps and makes a best lap out of them all for an AI car to follow the best parts so it looks like your actually driving when your not!'

I'd hardly call that future technology, and to start saying ps4 isn't capable of doing this is absolutely ridiculous. All it's doing is sending your lap data as well as your acceleration and brake data to a server.
---
"Exactly correct TC..."
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691088-xbox-one/66274628