What are your thoughts on the 3 gigs of RAM removal on the xbox one?

#31a687947Posted 7/29/2013 2:01:59 AM
RedFive3 posted...
a687947 posted...
RedFive3 posted...
Robtcee13 posted...
RedFive3 posted...
It's fine. Most PC games don't even use 4 GB of ram.

Apparently, you don't actually play PC games. Sensible PC gamers have at least 8 GB RAM.

Apparently you have no clue of what you are talking about. I do play on PC and have never seen a game recommend over 6 gigs. 99% of games only recommend 4 or less.

optimum ram requirement for metro last light and crysis 3 is 8GB for both

Metro: LL

Recommended:
Processor: Any Quad Core or 3.0+ GHz Dual Core CPU
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: DirectX 11 compliant graphics card (GeForce GTX 480 and above)
DirectX: Version 11
Additional Notes: Metro: Last Light utilizes NVIDIA 3D Vision with compatible cards and hardware.

And Crysis 3 is 4 gigs.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/04/18/metro-last-light-system-specs-reveal-the-price-of-post-apocalyptic-survival/

Optimum

Windows: Vista, 7 or 8
CPU: 3.4 GHz Multi-Core e.g. Intel Core i7
RAM: 8GB
Direct X: 11
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GTX 690 / NVIDIA Titan

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/12/03/crysis-3-system-requirements-published-pcs-everywhere-wince/

Hi-performance system requirements for PC

Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8
Latest DirectX 11 graphics card
Latest quad core CPU
8GB Memory
Nvidia/Intel example setup: NVidia GTX 680, Intel Core i7-2600k
AMD example setup: AMD Radeon HD7970, AMD Bulldozer FX4150

both are 8GB
#32RedFive3Posted 7/29/2013 2:18:13 AM
I said recommended. I have never seen a game that recommended more than 6 gigs. Basically what I am saying is there is no game that requires 8 gigs. Optimum is for enthusiasts.
---
I'm your huckleberry...
You spend nine months trying to get out, and the rest of your life trying to get back in.
#33N3xtG3nGam3rPosted 7/29/2013 3:11:02 AM
Having that much RAM for developers to work with, isnt always a good thing.

It just means developers that arent so talented, like Respawn Ent. (Developers of Titanfall) and Infinity Ward/Treyarch, can be much more lazy, and not have to optimize their code. Especially this early in these two consoles life.

Titanfall runs on the same game engine as the CoD series, just ''heavily'' modified, but i think saying ''heavily'' is putting it loosely.

They were having issues fitting everthing into memory, which is a complete joke. Look at the Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt. That game world takes 45 minutes from one side to the other--on horseback--and they seem to be chugging along nicely in their development cycle.

In Titanfalls defense however, they apparently were designing for the Xbox 360, and were too far along in their development, to completely scrap, and re-design a ''next-gen'' engine, or so they say. I personally think that anybody who has worked on any of the CoD titles, will bring nothing to the table in terms of gameplay, and especially graphics. Look how many CoD's were pushed out, with absolutely no graphical increase. Crysis 3 came out around the same time as BLOPS 2, and really, BLOPS 2 looks inferior to MW3.

Their excuse for Titanfall: We wanted to obtain 1080p, and a steady 60fps. Well...Battlefield 4 says ''Hi.'

As things go currently, 4GB of system ram on PC is sufficient, as long as you have a good GPU that sports 1-2GB of GDDR5.
---
ASUS p8h61-M (Rev 3.0) | Intel CORE i3 2100 | 4GB Dual-Channel DDr3 | 500GB HDD | 600w PSU | nVidia EVGA GTX 570 1.2GB GDDr5
#34lightningbugxPosted 7/29/2013 3:14:58 AM
My thoughts on this topic:

RAM reserved by the OS does not mean it is removed from developer use. It means that certain sections of RAM are reserved for specific applications, like the OS and the hardware devices. The largest area that is reserved is for the GPU. Now, don't give me that "the GPU works with the open 5GB of RAM" crap. Being unified means the GPU only has 1 pool of RAM to access. It does not mean the GPU only uses that 5GB.

Why would the OS reserve 1GB of RAM to the GPU? It is not any random section of RAM being reserved. It is a specific physical area of RAM. Why? With potential designs in the memory bus, it would be optimal for bandwidth sharing for the GPU to access a specific area in memory for its primary processing. The optimization would allow both GPU and CPU requests to occur simultaneously without collisions unless the GPU is pulling data from outside its reserved area.

In addition, some game engine components may be so common that the OS can supply its own service program that instead of the developers writing code and making a thread for it, it just makes system event calls to that program and let it manage it.

So my opinion of the OS reserving 3GB of RAM depends on how the OS uses it in conjunction to the game that is running.
#35N3xtG3nGam3rPosted 7/29/2013 3:17:00 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#36yanksfan4247Posted 7/29/2013 5:20:42 AM
With 3.5 GB of RAM, the OS better not be slow like the 360.
---
Twitter: @macdamurderer
GT: Mac Da Murderer
#37KingTGPPosted 8/1/2013 10:20:22 AM
ILikesCheese posted...
Anyone who uses the "B-b-b-b-b-but...!" meme is both unfunny and unwitty and unwise.

Lol I couldn't help but notice the bold... Can't tell if that was intended which I highly doubt or you actually don't know what you were trying to say lol o.O...
---
http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/iTzKingTGP.png
#38SinisterSlayPosted 8/1/2013 10:33:21 AM
RedFive3 posted...

Why is there always one that says this, without even bothering to qualify which RAM they are talking about?
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#39monegamesPosted 8/1/2013 11:17:19 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
RedFive3 posted...

Why is there always one that says this, without even bothering to qualify which RAM they are talking about?

because they do not understand that PC ram is split between video and system ram. quite a few games use more than 4gb of total ram.
#40HalecticPosted 8/1/2013 11:42:10 AM
It has been comfirmed some games on the PS4 are being developed on 6gigs

So the PS4 OS is at least 2gig min.
---
Digimon World Dawn FC 000111545835