Gaming industry plateau. Have games become stagnant? (TL;DR topic)

#31dormcastePosted 7/30/2013 8:06:43 PM
Wat? Metal Gear Solid 5 looks like a huge step up in every way from Metal Gear Solid 4. If you're comparing end of this gen to beginning of next gen, of course it's not going to look that impressive. Compare Metal Gear Solid 3 for PS2 to Resistance: Fall of Man for PS3. Metal Gear Solid 3 looks better... in every way.
#32Bikes-Posted 7/30/2013 9:32:52 PM
ImThe8thWonder posted...
FuRiOuS 198774623 posted...
There are roughly 2 main reasons why production budgets have reached their limit: 1) $60 dollars is not enough to keep up with rising fidelity/costs, and 2) Used games prevent more sales to be made.

No, no, no, no, no, no, ****ing NO. Game budgets are out of control because they seem to think throwing money at their problems is the way to fix them. There are plenty of creative and innovative games that have come out that did not need $100+ million budgets. Publishers and developers just need to manage their money better, and stop expecting us to foot the bill.

Low budget games can easily be great, but they're not usually a step up from what we have. I am talking about extending the limitations of what videogames can be, not simply being creative with what we have. Being creative or clever is awesome, but it would be best to be creative or clever with expanded limitations.

So, yeah. Try thinking things through before going on a rude rant.

The witcher series despite giving out free updates and being one of the better looking games on the market still manages to keep a relatively lower end budget. AAA companies are just horribly mismanaged, I mean look at Square Enix for example, stupidly high expectations based on expected metacritic rankings while a failed MMO and a game that's been in development for god knows how long at this point hemorrhages money.
---
FC: 2921-9087-2265
#33eibonPosted 7/30/2013 9:41:42 PM
better systems will help somewhat. less time will have to be spent with titles getting them to run on ancient hardware while still looking acceptable.
#34VhozitePosted 7/30/2013 9:46:51 PM
Too many FPS, half @$$ed single player, and making me pay for content that should already be in the game. I'm not saying that multiplayer should be scaled back, but I'm tired of 3-4hrs of single player and then multiplayer for the rest.

The biggest problem is that it seems like 9/10 people playing video games are the casual people playing the latest COD.
---
GT:Dark Vhozon
#35SheepinatorPosted 7/31/2013 7:08:56 AM
ImThe8thWonder posted...
Used games do prevent new sales, but it is not as bad as most think. Used games can both hurt, and help videogames quite a lot.

Used games help GameStop a lot. They make over a billion dollars a year in gross profit from used games, where they see almost 50% profit margins from the first unit sold. The publishers may only start to make profit after several million units sold. Go look at how little profits the publishers (excluding Activision thanks to WoW and CoD) are making, and how much GameStop makes from used games, then say it's no big deal. Just last night Take Two reported another quarterly loss, though they lost less than one year ago.

Budgets are higher (natural extension of increased gamer expectations plus the need to support HD, online, etc.), prices aren't rising, GameStop is squeezing huge profits from the system, so yeah the net effect is less risk from the publishers. I don't see this changing any time soon with console gaming.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#36SinisterSlayPosted 7/31/2013 7:15:56 AM
BudWisenheimer posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
So what failed then?

Nothing failed. Tomb Raider had the most successful launch of any game this year in addition to setting a new record for highest sales in the franchise's history.

SinisterSlay posted...
Squenix said the game was a disappointment for sales.

They said the game had not met expectations. That was in March. We are well past March and I refer you to the above statement about their record-breaking launch. See here for more info on just how silly Squeenex was for making that comment publicly:

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/29/crystal-dynamics-tomb-raider-had-best-week-one-sales-in-franchi/

I was wondering about that. Because 3 million sales... probably got tripled with the steam summer sale. Maybe even 10 times as much now. It seems everyone owns the game now on steam.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#37zombiabsolPosted 7/31/2013 7:33:18 AM
The problem with games nowadays is they try to copy each other, and do it poorly.

Another problem is that alot of developers are not trying to innovate, they just make what they think/know sells good. We have so many people who arent in it for the passion of making great games, and instead just want money. Thats whats wrong.

The gaming industry is just lacking passion. Instead of making fun creative or just in general great games, people want to copy successful games to make money instead of trying something completely new or something that hasnt been done right yet.

And that sucks, because without that passion to makes wonderful games and share them with people, not just for money, but because it makes you happy, gaming is starting to become repetitive and boring. Its losing its soul, the thing that made it popular in the first place: Fun.

Im a ps4 fan, but Nintendo shows this with their exclusives. Mario, Link, Pikachu....they are probably the most well known video game characters of all time. (besides that people call Link Zelda)

That creativity is what makes people love gaming. The gaming industry would be much better, and the games would also be more interesting, if developers would stop being afraid of risks. There are probably developers who dont even care about their games and only make them because of the money.

If developers would bring back the passion ,the kind i have for gaming, then we would get new kinds of games and genres, and Shooters wouldnt be clogging up the market.

I really hope i can make games after/during college.

Just wait guyz, imma help the gaming industry one game at a time. Ill try and bring back the passion into gaming..... and I know that sounds corny, but im serious.
---
LOL, peace out Defense Of Marriage Act, you wont be missed...at all
Xbox one or ps4? vote: http://www.xboxonevspsfour.com/
#38SirLemontPosted 7/31/2013 8:42:16 AM
zombiabsol posted...
The problem with games nowadays is they try to copy each other, and do it poorly.

Another problem is that alot of developers are not trying to innovate, they just make what they think/know sells good. We have so many people who arent in it for the passion of making great games, and instead just want money. Thats whats wrong.

The gaming industry is just lacking passion. Instead of making fun creative or just in general great games, people want to copy successful games to make money instead of trying something completely new or something that hasnt been done right yet.

And that sucks, because without that passion to makes wonderful games and share them with people, not just for money, but because it makes you happy, gaming is starting to become repetitive and boring. Its losing its soul, the thing that made it popular in the first place: Fun.

Im a ps4 fan, but Nintendo shows this with their exclusives. Mario, Link, Pikachu....they are probably the most well known video game characters of all time. (besides that people call Link Zelda)

That creativity is what makes people love gaming. The gaming industry would be much better, and the games would also be more interesting, if developers would stop being afraid of risks. There are probably developers who dont even care about their games and only make them because of the money.

If developers would bring back the passion ,the kind i have for gaming, then we would get new kinds of games and genres, and Shooters wouldnt be clogging up the market.

Just wait guyz, imma help the gaming industry one game at a time. Ill try and bring back the passion into gaming..... and I know that sounds corny, but im serious.

This guy gets it.
#39SheepinatorPosted 7/31/2013 8:48:32 AM
zombiabsol posted...

Good luck. Teams on modern console games are very large and layoffs are very frequent. Only a few people on those large teams have any real say in what the game is, the rest are basically worker bees doing what they're told.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#40zombiabsolPosted 7/31/2013 8:52:34 AM
Sheepinator posted...
zombiabsol posted...

Good luck. Teams on modern console games are very large and layoffs are very frequent. Only a few people on those large teams have any real say in what the game is, the rest are basically worker bees doing what they're told.

The beauty of indie gaming. Besides alot of crappy games, there is that golden apple out of indie games every so often.

Im probably gonna start making games with my friends, so well be starting small and working our way up to big titles.

I have the motivation to where ill get there eventually.
---
LOL, peace out Defense Of Marriage Act, you wont be missed...at all
Xbox one or ps4? vote: http://www.xboxonevspsfour.com/