Does anyone really think the Xbox One negativity will hurt sales?

#31Juzten76Posted 7/31/2013 8:19:57 AM
Most people aren't coming to gamefaqs to find out from "xXPS4FANBOYCHODEXx" if they should or shouldn't buy the X1. The negativity isn't as widespread as you'd think when reading this board.
#32dearestnightPosted 7/31/2013 8:26:08 AM(edited)
Juzten76 posted...
BigBOO2U posted...
Eamon696 posted...
The General Public, aka 99% of the people who buy video game consoles, will have had no idea about the DRM backlash, the Kinect controversy, etc. Gamers, obviously, are aware of them but your average joe that will buy this console won't be.

Many people know about the Kinect issue who are not what you would call your regular "gamers." Many parents groups are spreading the word about this.

Also, many shoppers can tell the difference between $400 and $500 at the checkout line.

Yes, they know that spending more money means a better product. If you're going to invest in a video game console you will want the best(Xbox One).

Your logic literally hurts my head. I need to lie down.

No. I changed my mind. I need tea and whale noises. This is brutal.
#33Juzten76Posted 7/31/2013 8:39:28 AM
dearestnight posted...
Juzten76 posted...
BigBOO2U posted...
Eamon696 posted...
The General Public, aka 99% of the people who buy video game consoles, will have had no idea about the DRM backlash, the Kinect controversy, etc. Gamers, obviously, are aware of them but your average joe that will buy this console won't be.

Many people know about the Kinect issue who are not what you would call your regular "gamers." Many parents groups are spreading the word about this.

Also, many shoppers can tell the difference between $400 and $500 at the checkout line.

Yes, they know that spending more money means a better product. If you're going to invest in a video game console you will want the best(Xbox One).

What does my logic have to do with stating other people's logic? There are a lot of people out there who assume that a more expensive product is better than the cheaper product and in a lot of cases they are right.

The average consumer could very likely look at the Xbox One and say "This is $100 more, comes with motion controls, and has all these cool new features. Then again I could save $100 and get this PS4 that is basically the same thing as a PS3 with more power." I can see why a lot of people would choose the X1. If you're already going to spend $400, why not spend $500 and get the better product with more features?
#34PraetorXynPosted 7/31/2013 8:52:03 AM
Juzten76 posted...
dearestnight posted...
Juzten76 posted...
BigBOO2U posted...
Eamon696 posted...

What does my logic have to do with stating other people's logic? There are a lot of people out there who assume that a more expensive product is better than the cheaper product and in a lot of cases they are right.

The average consumer could very likely look at the Xbox One and say "This is $100 more, comes with motion controls, and has all these cool new features. Then again I could save $100 and get this PS4 that is basically the same thing as a PS3 with more power." I can see why a lot of people would choose the X1. If you're already going to spend $400, why not spend $500 and get the better product with more features?

In this case the more expensive system is actually the weaker of the two, and the extra $100 comes from the camera that nobody wanted the first time around, even less so the second time.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9
#35Dameon55Posted 7/31/2013 9:03:16 AM
Being $100 more expensive will hurt sales. Previous policies like having mandatory DRM, which have already been reversed, will not. Having a kinect will not hurt sales, but if people don't see the kinect is being worth the extra value, they won't buy it.
---
GT: Dameon5
#36bee06Posted 7/31/2013 9:06:35 AM
Barely.
#37RayconPosted 7/31/2013 9:22:24 AM
scorpio man posted...
Good thing TrollFaqs only represents like 1% of the gaming population and will have no impact on sales what so ever

Yeah, just like DmC!
---
Oh, wait...
#38SilentS89Posted 7/31/2013 9:25:06 AM
The negativity certainly won't help sales.
#39Ramsus082Posted 7/31/2013 11:34:04 AM
Barring a major screw up from Sony, which we shouldn't rule out entirely, it's looking like the PS4 will be the primary console for most core gamers and probably the industry in general. Sony had way more brand capital to burn coming off the PS2's success than Microsoft does coming of the X360's, and the PS3 was pretty clearly the "second" console, if not in sales than definitely in industry acknowledgment and developer focus. And considering that Sony hadn't blundered their PR and brand nearly as bad as Microsoft has despite their dedication to fixing their missteps, the "better hardware for less money" will probably seal the deal.

Also important to consider is that many of us are looking at this through the prism(no pun intended) of the United States. Really, the rest of Europe and Japan are just looking for a reason to buy a PS4, where Sony consoles traditionally have outsold Microsoft's. They now have plenty of them.

But even had Microsoft not tarnished their brand so badly, their competitor is charging less money for better graphics hardware, and personally I think that alone is enough to shift the balance of power this coming generation.
#40SilentS89Posted 7/31/2013 1:34:26 PM
Ramsus082 posted...
...But even had Microsoft not tarnished their brand so badly, their competitor is charging less money for better graphics hardware, and personally I think that alone is enough to shift the balance of power this coming generation.

I strongly agree.