Will this suffer the 'third console curse'?

#21Dannyson97Posted 7/31/2013 12:29:00 PM
TMOG posted...
Are you implying the N64 wasn't successful? Because it absolutely was.

The Virtual boy was Nintendo's third console....
And even if you don't consider it a home console the 64's cartridges couldn't hold as much as CD, and the 64 was the generation Nintendo lost most of it's 3rd party support.
---
I'm a Nintendo loyalist, respect Sony and Microsoft.
#22Dannyson97Posted 7/31/2013 12:32:22 PM
TrueBlue91 posted...
Exodus_Prime posted...
It won't suffer the same fate because it will actually have good games to play (sorry Wiiu fans)

So will Wii U soon. The Bone's game library won't even be in the same league as PS4's or Wii U's.

To be fair we haven't seen much of the PS4's libary either and in comparison Microsoft has shown more. Not that it matters to me I'm probably going to stick to PC and Wii U.
---
#23SlightlySychoticPosted 7/31/2013 12:44:42 PM
It's a myth, people are just trying to make it popular.

First, there's the problem that the N64 -- Nintendo's first "failure" -- isn't actually Nintendo's third console. The Gameboy was, and that was one of the greatest selling systems of all time. Don't want to count handhelds? Fine: Virtual Boy (and there you might have a point). As for Sega, what about the Sega CD and 32X? You can call them add-ons but they actual sold the SCD as a stand-alone unit for a while.

And then there's the revisionism. The N64 wasn't a failure; it sold incredibly well. It just didn't sell as well as the PS1. Same with the PS3; internationally it's actually outsold the 360. Even the Saturn did well in Japan. You can't equate failure with "failed to win the console generation."
---
Sychotic Quote for the Whenever: "Don't think I'll go easy on you just because you're a dog."
#24RunetheKoopaPosted 7/31/2013 12:49:59 PM
TMOG posted...

The PS1 won by a landslide, and the N64 bombed everywhere except America. Not what I'd call successful.
---
Not changing this signature until Spyro and Crash Bandicoot go back to their roots.
#25carryonifucanPosted 7/31/2013 1:08:56 PM
I want the X1 to be successful, but you have to admit they've really screwed some things up. Even 180 on policies, they are just finding loopholes around them.

I like that they are trying to fix their mistakes, but there's definitely some trust lost.
#26VI_CoursePosted 7/31/2013 1:09:05 PM
RunetheKoopa posted...
TMOG posted...

The PS1 won by a landslide, and the N64 bombed everywhere except America. Not what I'd call successful.

The N64 was extremely profitable. It was successful from a business point of view.
---
Through the lights cameras and action, glamour glitters and gold
I unfold the scroll, plant seeds to stampede the globe
#27Dannyson97Posted 7/31/2013 2:02:28 PM
SlightlySychotic posted...
It's a myth, people are just trying to make it popular.

First, there's the problem that the N64 -- Nintendo's first "failure" -- isn't actually Nintendo's third console. The Gameboy was, and that was one of the greatest selling systems of all time. Don't want to count handhelds? Fine: Virtual Boy (and there you might have a point). As for Sega, what about the Sega CD and 32X? You can call them add-ons but they actual sold the SCD as a stand-alone unit for a while.

And then there's the revisionism. The N64 wasn't a failure; it sold incredibly well. It just didn't sell as well as the PS1. Same with the PS3; internationally it's actually outsold the 360. Even the Saturn did well in Japan. You can't equate failure with "failed to win the console generation."

The 64 wasn't a failure sales wise, but the cartridge format pushed away almost all of Nintendo's 3rd party devolpers. That they still haven't been able to recover from.
The PS3 didn't make a profit for Sony with a few exceptions through the years. That along with
Sony's other sections bleeding against competition.
The Sega Saturn was considerably less successful being released early before devolpers were ready. By the time Sega made it to the Dreamcast they were limping.
---
#28VeonVoidPosted 7/31/2013 2:08:18 PM
Its not a curse, called:

"The Third Console Arrogance Cycle"
#29Hucast9Posted 7/31/2013 2:20:13 PM
gzus_AD posted...
MSFT had a terrible reveal, coupled with a PR nightmare. To their credit, however, they've been actively trying to patch things up. It's way too early to say who's going to succeed or fail, even going by online polls/preorders. It's going to be an interesting generation, that's for sure.

Agreed, but I really think that the $100 difference will show alot during the first year of sales. People state that pre-orders have sold out, but that may be meaningless when you consider looking forward 1-2 years from now. Pre-order sale outs do not equal success.
#30NSGraphitePosted 7/31/2013 3:50:53 PM
reincarnator07 posted...
Sinful_Life posted...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sega_video_game_consoles

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_video_game_consoles

stupid myths are made when they are cherry picked.

Indeed, lets put those numbers in context.

Sega Genesis - over 37m worldwide
Sega Saturn - 9.4m worldwide

SNES - 49.1m worldwide
N64 - 32m worldwide

And just for fun
PS2 - 155m worldwide
PS3 - ~77m worldwide

Even more fun:

Atari 2600: 30 million worldwide
Atari 7800: 3.77 million worldwide
---
I don't always Troll on the internet. But when I do, I make it the Xbox-One forums...