"the cloud" is becoming the new "blast processing," isn't it?

#41catzrul2002Posted 7/31/2013 12:04:30 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
catzrul2002 posted...
CasualGamers posted...
catzrul2002 posted...
Pretty much.

Especially since no-one here has had any experience with it, yet we still can't win any arguments with the the persistent Xboners.

Lol. Speak for yourself.

I have worked on cloud servers before. It is a cost effective solution in the enterprise world, but it may become an issue with home consoles since people's internet sucks.

I meant experience the Xbox Live Cloud, no-one on this board has first hand experience with it and tout it as the next greatest thing since sliced bread.

Yes, the internet does suck for most people, so if the 'cloud' can do what MS claims it can, I'm guessing 5-10% of world wide gamers can utilise it.

BUT, if the rumoured idea the you only need a 1.5Mb speed to utilise it, then it's already bottlenecked itself to do a limited amount of stuff.

most living in redmond could use it.

I live in Penicuik, the ass end of nowhere in Scotland, internet is near useless in the UK in general.
---
Until MS remove all the other negatives on the Xbox One, I'm still not getting it.
Looks like PC, Wii U and PS4 this generation.
#42SinisterSlayPosted 7/31/2013 12:10:10 PM
catzrul2002 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
catzrul2002 posted...
CasualGamers posted...
catzrul2002 posted...
Pretty much.

Especially since no-one here has had any experience with it, yet we still can't win any arguments with the the persistent Xboners.

Lol. Speak for yourself.

I have worked on cloud servers before. It is a cost effective solution in the enterprise world, but it may become an issue with home consoles since people's internet sucks.

I meant experience the Xbox Live Cloud, no-one on this board has first hand experience with it and tout it as the next greatest thing since sliced bread.

Yes, the internet does suck for most people, so if the 'cloud' can do what MS claims it can, I'm guessing 5-10% of world wide gamers can utilise it.

BUT, if the rumoured idea the you only need a 1.5Mb speed to utilise it, then it's already bottlenecked itself to do a limited amount of stuff.

most living in redmond could use it.

I live in Penicuik, the ass end of nowhere in Scotland, internet is near useless in the UK in general.

It's more about distance than speed anyways.
Doesn't the UK internet have to hit a satellite to get to the USA backbone?
That's 300ms right there.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#43catzrul2002Posted 7/31/2013 12:29:25 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
It's more about distance than speed anyways.
Doesn't the UK internet have to hit a satellite to get to the USA backbone?
That's 300ms right there.

I have no idea, wouldn't surprise me if it did, the delay I get in MP games is always ridiculous.
---
Until MS remove all the other negatives on the Xbox One, I'm still not getting it.
Looks like PC, Wii U and PS4 this generation.
#44TheBorderColliePosted 7/31/2013 7:43:26 PM
ITT: People making bold factual claims....when they haven't actually tried the item yet themselves.

The truth is NOBODY KNOWS YET if cloud processing will indeed be worth any attention. In the meantime, start ignoring those who claim that they know for certain.
---
Proud supporter of the PS4 and Xbox #1
FACT: If you have privacy concerns about Kinect 2.0, then you better not have a smartphone either.
#45Born LuckyPosted 7/31/2013 7:54:22 PM
TheBorderCollie posted...
The truth is NOBODY KNOWS YET if cloud processing will indeed be worth any attention

What is it about "the infrastructure doesn't exist to support it", that you don't understand?

Magical leprechauns and rainbow unicorns might fool little kids, but if you're old enough to type, you're too old to believe in "the cloud".
---
I was talking to the parrot - Poirot
#46avanentPosted 7/31/2013 9:02:04 PM
ITT: People making bold factual claims....when they haven't actually tried the item yet themselves.

The truth is NOBODY KNOWS YET if cloud processing will indeed be worth any attention. In the meantime, start ignoring those who claim that they know for certain.

Cloud computing isn't new. Cloud gaming isn't new. Microsft is just making bunch of noise now and trying to get more developers ot use it. It's very limited in what it can do, and there's a mass amount of unrealistic speculation on the 'infinite' capabilities it has. It's capabilities are very finite, for the exact reason that many have already said.

It doesn't matter much if your Bugatti can go over 250 mph if there's not a street you can drive it on over 80 on the continent. So, the cloud can use a crap ton of computers to create phenomal, cosmic power in an ity bitty tiny living space, but it doesn't matter because it can't transfer the processed data fast enough through our infrastructure.
#47TheBorderColliePosted 7/31/2013 10:18:28 PM
Born Lucky posted...
The truth is NOBODY KNOWS YET if cloud processing will indeed be worth any attention

What is it about "the infrastructure doesn't exist to support it", that you don't understand?

...And so you are saying that you know every single thing that MS has planned for their cloud service?

LOL....You're making my point for me.

How do you know if there is enough infrastructure or not when nobody even knows the details of how MS has put these plans together to begin with?

How do you know that MS hasn't found a way to do what they are planning?

All we have so far are assumptions....Nothing else.
---
FACT: If you have privacy concerns about Kinect 2.0, then you better not have a smartphone either.
#48TheBorderColliePosted 7/31/2013 10:19:57 PM
avanent posted...

Cloud computing isn't new. Cloud gaming isn't new. Microsft is just making bunch of noise now and trying to get more developers ot use it. It's very limited in what it can do, and there's a mass amount of unrealistic speculation on the 'infinite' capabilities it has. It's capabilities are very finite, for the exact reason that many have already said.

Again...How do you know if this will work or not when very few REAL details have come out so far regarding how MS has this put together?
---
#49avanentPosted 7/31/2013 10:21:02 PM
avanent posted...

Again...How do you know if this will work or not when very few REAL details have come out so far regarding how MS has this put together?

Max speed limit is 80; doesn't matter how fast your Bugatti is.
#50wh0_kn0wsPosted 8/3/2013 4:20:12 PM
lol, xboners
---
it's simple. just be nice.