Cloud is a gimmick!

#51Ch3wyPosted 8/1/2013 4:07:28 AM
PoloMan6 posted...
I had no idea there were so many computer programmers on this board...astounding!

It's astounding to you that programmers would be on a gaming forum?
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#52LapanuiPosted 8/1/2013 4:33:56 AM
Let's me optimistic here. If companies like OnLive is able to stream games to your screen at around 720p using a computer on their end, whose to say they can't render high resolution textures or lower the polygon count on their side and stream that data to your game through the internet??

Has it ever been tried before? If it hasn't, whose to say it's not possible?

If you look at computers or anything in life, how in the hell can that be achieved?? How can a circuit board, solder, microchips and such create something? How was it all originally created? I bet someone thought it was impossible.

Take a look at cars, planes, etc. I bet when those ideas were circulating, I bet everyone thought it was idiotic and would be impossible. Look right now. Billions of cars are on the road, many planes are in the sky travelling over 500mph. Rockets that are able to launch itself out of the earths atmosphere and into space.

Stop being so closed minded...
---
GT: Zichu PSN: Zichu NNID: Zichu1
#53MrSpaM111Posted 8/1/2013 4:56:38 AM
Lapanui posted...
Let's me optimistic here. If companies like OnLive is able to stream games to your screen at around 720p using a computer on their end, whose to say they can't render high resolution textures or lower the polygon count on their side and stream that data to your game through the internet??

If you look at computers or anything in life, how in the hell can that be achieved?? How can a circuit board, solder, microchips and such create something? How was it all originally created? I bet someone thought it was impossible.

Take a look at cars, planes, etc. I bet when those ideas were circulating, I bet everyone thought it was idiotic and would be impossible. Look right now. Billions of cars are on the road, many planes are in the sky travelling over 500mph. Rockets that are able to launch itself out of the earths atmosphere and into space.

Why would they not just include the high quality textures on the disc instead of having to download them off the internet? it makes no sense whatsoever, and would not increase performance in the slightest. If anything it would decrease performance due to your internet bottle necking the information being downloaded and processed.
---
"Exactly correct TC..."
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691088-xbox-one/66274628
#54LapanuiPosted 8/1/2013 5:08:33 AM(edited)
Maybe to reduce the stress on the console?? Would you play Battlefield 3 on a computer that couldn't handle the game? No. You would still be able to stream that game using OnLive through the cloud.

Including the high resolution textures on disc would mean the console would still have to use power to render them...

It doesn't have to be high resolution textures, it could be say rendering certain parts of the game in the background before you get there, the console would render where your character currently is. Think of it as a double buffering.
---
GT: Zichu PSN: Zichu NNID: Zichu1
#55Ch3wyPosted 8/1/2013 5:08:11 AM
Lapanui posted...

Not even Microsoft and Friends have said that they're going to actually render graphics with the cloud, that's just ridiculous. You don't understand just how much data GPUs are pushing to render those graphics, that's not even remotely possible using the internet.

The only thing that's been suggested is stuff like lightmaps and other things that result from calculations. Things that aren't latency sensitive and consist of a fairly small amount of data, while it takes some power to calculate them. Or things that need to displayed to all people on a server simultaneously. Some of these things are good ideas, but wouldn't help relieve GPU stress at all. Some are just impractical and would easily end up making the game experience worse due to lag and/or dropped packets.

One interesting thing here that I've seen is the way the developer of Watch Dogs has stated they're going to use it. Possibly a small amount of input parameters, and a small amount of data being returned(coordinates of AI). Don't expect this to result in super graphics though, it would just allow them to have normal modern graphics while having a more dynamic world. Cloud computing would be very useful for turned based games like Civilization V as well, where move calculations can take a long time. It would simply shorten the calculation time.

Streaming entire games is a different story. You're rendering the entire game server side, and then just displaying a video of it. Not rendering graphics real time through an internet connection. There's a very small amount of data for the input parameters(just what buttons you're pressing), and then a video that is streaming live to you, which can be done in HD with a >5Mbps internet connection.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#56GondolinRisesPosted 8/1/2013 5:09:43 AM
There's a lot of reassurance floating around the xb1 crowd because of all the bad things that have happened to the xb1. If you make a topic telling them something they were hoping for was in fact just fluffed up to look good but isn't, you're bound to make them mad.
---
Can't keep a good man down. More Fe + C than you.
#57Ch3wyPosted 8/1/2013 5:10:17 AM
Lapanui posted...
Maybe to reduce the stress on the console?? Would you play Battlefield 3 on a computer that couldn't handle the game? No. You would still be able to stream that game using OnLive through the cloud.

Including the high resolution textures on disc would mean the console would still have to use power to render them...

It doesn't have to be high resolution textures, it could be say rendering certain parts of the game in the background before you get there, the console would render where your character currently is. Think of it as a back buffer.

One thing you need to understand about texture streaming is that the client still has to actually render those textures. It would just be a difference between getting their data from a hard drive or through the internet.

There are games that currently do this. Like Second Life. It's not done to improve graphics or reduce stress(it's to have dynamic user generated content), and results in horrendous texture pop in.
---
#58avanentPosted 8/1/2013 5:11:47 AM
Yes, games and graphics can be done in the cloud, but you'll end up with compression artifacts visually and noticeable delay in responsiveness due to essentially operating a computer remotely. You won't be able to play a modern game the way you'd expect a modern game to look and play through offloading it to the cloud.
#59GondolinRisesPosted 8/1/2013 5:12:15 AM
One thing you need to understand

Don't bother trying to explain complex concepts to the xb1 trolls. They aren't willing to accept the truth.
---
Can't keep a good man down. More Fe + C than you.
#60Juzten76Posted 8/1/2013 5:17:20 AM
monegames posted...
Juzten76 posted...
Ch3wy posted...
Juzten76 posted...
MrSpaM111 posted...
You don't have to be able to see into the future to know that all cloud computing is, is sending data from a server to clients, which can then upload data to the server for other clients to download.

Thats literally all it is, this kind of technology has been around since network computing was invented.

Yep, and the PS4 is the same technology as the PS1. It's all about how it is utilized. We won't know until we experience it. If all it did was what you say, then it would not be a hyped up feature.

Yeah nothing that has been hyped up has ever ended up being BS. Nice logic there champ.

Yeah, you really got me there. You've totally proven me wrong. The cloud is BS because other things that have been hyped have sometimes been BS. You're missing the point.

the xbox one is going to use microsofts Azure cloud system. that is xbox one's magical cloud. read up on it. unless they totally revamp their cloud system it is not going to increase the xbox one's graphical prowess.

I never said it would increase the xbox one's graphical prowess.