Anyone here like/use Windows 8 but not getting an X1?

#11Kuebel33Posted 7/31/2013 12:15:04 PM
TrueBlue91 posted...
Windows 8 sucks like hell. Should've been their iOS equivalent only, but no, it had to be thrir next major OS. What a joke.

Someone else who drinks the Kool Aid.

Windows 8 is easily better than 7.

I can understand people maybe not liking the metro tile screen, but to be honest, if you take a little time to learn all the cool stuff you can do with it, it's awesome. Also, you can bypass it in like a quarter second by hitting windows key+D. I usually stay on my main desktop, but flash back and forth to the live tiles for updates for my important things.

I haven't needed a start button since the pre-release candidates and certainly don't miss it, but it's good they are bringing it back for people who do want it I guess.

Also, on the metro interface you can just start typing the name of ANYTHING you want to find and it will automatically search all over the place. You don't need to pick a specific place, like the start button search area in Windows 7 for instance, to start searching for things. I have no idea why Microsoft doesn't tout that more often.
---
Wii U: kuebel33 - Wii: 8877 3660 6443 4949 - XboxLive, psn, & Steam: DirtiestQBizzy
3DS: Q : 2449-4627-4540 | playing: Gears3, ZombiU, Blops 2, NSMBU
#12CapwnDPosted 7/31/2013 1:55:48 PM
I agree with what Kuebel33. Plus, hit Windows key + X to bring up all your common stuff like command prompt (including administrator command prompt) and control panel.
---
Death to Videodrome, Long Live the New Flesh
#13SinisterSlayPosted 7/31/2013 2:07:10 PM
You guys say shortcut keys, searching, and ignoring it are the best solutions.....

Did you know DOS supported all those things? Maybe you would be happier with DOS?

Also, the Windows 7 start menu search was way better. The windows 8 search is a step backwards.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#14Pajamad_BananaPosted 7/31/2013 4:55:08 PM
I'm the opposite of most people. I almost never use the desktop mode anymore except for file and system nmanagement and for office. I use the tiles almost exclusively.

At this point going back to post 95 classic mode would not be my choice at all.
---
I proudly support Vanderbilt University and the German National Teams
Favorite US Pro Teams: LA Clippers, Anaheim Ducks, Anaheim Angels, Cincinnati Bengals
#15md22mdrxPosted 7/31/2013 5:04:30 PM
Windows 8 lasted about a day on my laptop before I packed the whole darn thing up and returned it.
#16CapwnDPosted 7/31/2013 7:22:16 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
You guys say shortcut keys, searching, and ignoring it are the best solutions.....

Did you know DOS supported all those things? Maybe you would be happier with DOS?

Also, the Windows 7 start menu search was way better. The windows 8 search is a step backwards.

Windows 8 search seams faster and easier to find exactly what you're looking for because of the way it's split between programs, settings, and files.

And I still use the s*** out of dos. I love .bat files, I use them for many things. I use robocopy all the time, I use mklink to move stuff to my SDD temporarily, or for other purposes like that.
---
#17Thewinner14Posted 7/31/2013 9:07:38 PM
i liked the metro UI on the zune, and the few win 8 phones my friends have owned. I refuse to use it on my desktop. When MS smartens up and releases Win9 without any of the metro bs I will happily buy it.

And this is coming from someone who defended Vista.
---
3DS FC: 3496-9988-4201
AC:NL dream code: 4000-2184-5956
#18SinisterSlayPosted 7/31/2013 9:13:26 PM(edited)
CapwnD posted...
SinisterSlay posted...

Windows 8 search seams faster and easier to find exactly what you're looking for because of the way it's split between programs, settings, and files.

And I still use the s*** out of dos. I love .bat files, I use them for many things. I use robocopy all the time, I use mklink to move stuff to my SDD temporarily, or for other purposes like that.

Yeah, right up until that search gets it wrong.

A few quick tests.

Search "dpi"
Search "printer"
And just press enter after entering the text.

Neither works in Windows 8, works perfect in windows 7.

So go to the correct category in Windows 8. Both show two options, one is for metro, one is for windows.
It does not give you an indication of which is which.

As far as I can tell, adding a domain printer from the metro version is pointless, it will always claim the driver doesn't exist even if the printer is already installed or has been installed.

Two basic admin tasks I have to do often over the phone, and both broken by the stupid search in Windows 8, but worked great in windows 7.

Other problems? Yeah, why don't scroll bars appear until you move your mouse over them, what brain dead idiot that that was a good idea? You can search metro for ages and not realize a section is scrollable. You have to try scrolling on everything or move your mouse over every element on screen to find out if it is scrollable.

---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#19Draconas_LyrrPosted 7/31/2013 9:13:53 PM
The last laptop I bought had Windows 8 on it. Used it for about a week, hated it, returned it for a slightly better laptop with Win7 on it, much happier.
---
PSN: Draconas_Lyrr
Difference between "a" and "an": "a" comes before consonant sounds, "an" before vowel sounds.
#20CapwnDPosted 8/1/2013 6:42:28 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
CapwnD posted...
SinisterSlay posted...

Yeah, right up until that search gets it wrong.

A few quick tests.

Search "dpi"
Search "printer"
And just press enter after entering the text.

Neither works in Windows 8, works perfect in windows 7.

So go to the correct category in Windows 8. Both show two options, one is for metro, one is for windows.
It does not give you an indication of which is which.

As far as I can tell, adding a domain printer from the metro version is pointless, it will always claim the driver doesn't exist even if the printer is already installed or has been installed.

Two basic admin tasks I have to do often over the phone, and both broken by the stupid search in Windows 8, but worked great in windows 7.

Other problems? Yeah, why don't scroll bars appear until you move your mouse over them, what brain dead idiot that that was a good idea? You can search metro for ages and not realize a section is scrollable. You have to try scrolling on everything or move your mouse over every element on screen to find out if it is scrollable.

That's probably the best argument against it that i've heard. And I can understand that people want the start menu. I almost miss that, definitely took a bit to get used to it.

And I did have to make a few extra shortcuts and macros, like a restart/log off macro to make it quick and easy to go to sleep, restart, log off, and stuff like that. And I hate how Metro only opens on the last screen that you had it on. I want it to open on any screen where I'm focused.
---