digital vs physical games

#1tadmfpolePosted 8/1/2013 2:33:06 AM
which do you prefer? - Results (197 votes)
Digital
23.35% (46 votes)
I only buy digital on Steam
9.64% (19 votes)
Physical
55.33% (109 votes)
Doesn't matter either way
11.68% (23 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I am a collector and prefer the actual game cases and discs on my shelves. Maybe I am old, I don't care though.
---
my current game collection
http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/tadmfpole/games/owned
#2YeomanlyPosted 8/1/2013 2:36:16 AM
I hate the clutter of game cases, am not a collector either, small bookcase for current games rest go in attic. I buy games on price/deals not what format they are stored on. :D
#3LapanuiPosted 8/1/2013 2:46:11 AM
Physical. I like having a collection and also like to know that it will always be there unless it was stolen or it some how became unplayable due to scratches. It being stolen could happen to anyone. Scratches isn't something I do at all. I like to take care of my stuff, so I would consider my collection pretty safe.

The only games I have bought digitally are when they are free through Games for Gold or they are on sale and the physical copies are more expensive than they are digitally. I have also been buying digital copies of games on my 3DS, some are a few quid than physical, others are equally priced. It's more convenient when on the move to have my whole library in my hands.

My consoles don't tend to come along with me, so digital isn't anymore convenient than a physical copy.
---
GT: Zichu PSN: Zichu NNID: Zichu1
#4zombiabsolPosted 8/1/2013 3:58:26 AM
I guess the last option.

I like being able to have a stack of games, but if they get stolen with or without my system, i have to rebuy them.

As to where with digital i can quickly switch between my games, and if the system gets stolen i can just buy another and sign into my account to redownload them.

With the ps4 i plan on buying physical copies of games i dont think i will play that often, and digital for games with online and ones ill play alot.

For instance ill be buying Knack as a physical copy since i dont see my self playing after i collect all the trophies.

But ill download killzone because ill play the multiplayer until a better shooter comes out that i want (destiny), and even then ill still play it with my friends who dont have destiny.

So im going with a mix of both this gen
---
LOL, peace out Defense Of Marriage Act, you wont be missed...at all
Xbox one or ps4? vote: http://www.xboxonevspsfour.com/
#5x1STP_KLOSRxPosted 8/1/2013 4:01:32 AM
zombiabsol posted...
I guess the last option.

I like being able to have a stack of games, but if they get stolen with or without my system, i have to rebuy them.

As to where with digital i can quickly switch between my games, and if the system gets stolen i can just buy another and sign into my account to redownload them.

With the ps4 i plan on buying physical copies of games i dont think i will play that often, and digital for games with online and ones ill play alot.

For instance ill be buying Knack as a physical copy since i dont see my self playing after i collect all the trophies.

But ill download killzone because ill play the multiplayer until a better shooter comes out that i want (destiny), and even then ill still play it with my friends who dont have destiny.

So im going with a mix of both this gen

I'm on the fence too and just like you. Digital seems like the way I would like to go but only for games such as Killzone, Battlefield 4, Forza 5 and Call of Duty. Any big exclusive or great multiplayer game is included in my digital plans. I may skip other games or rent their physical copies.
#6Ryan-06Posted 8/1/2013 4:11:12 AM(edited)
tadmfpole posted...
I am a collector and prefer the actual game cases and discs on my shelves. Maybe I am old, I don't care though.

Same here. I'm 25. but always prefer physical. Say 10-20 yrs pass and servers go down for old games/system- It's good for being able to revisit old games by popping it into its respective console offline. As it always was for families who want to share old games with younger generations, or journalists who want to document and showcase classic hardware and software without resorting to emulation.

See Classic Game Room on youtube. popular channel. Brings back many memories when they review many classic accessories, games, and systems. =)

https://www.youtube.com/show/classicgameroom
new Atari vid is up btw.
---
0=Rei. Pronounced Rei-six. Born New England. Lived in Japan. Citizen of Earth.
KamenHentai - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TozprFrnn10
#7Ch3wyPosted 8/1/2013 4:08:47 AM
If I had a physical copy of every game that I had on Steam, I wouldn't be able to breathe in my apartment.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#8x1STP_KLOSRxPosted 8/1/2013 4:12:18 AM
Ch3wy posted...
If I had a physical copy of every game that I had on Steam, I wouldn't be able to breathe in my apartment.

I would bet that you got some amazing deals on those games too. Steam is the type of digital service everyone else should strive to be.
#9bessy67Posted 8/1/2013 4:16:07 AM
I prefer digital if it offers significant savings over physical. It's nice being able to switch between games without swapping discs, but not nice enough that I'd pay the same price as physical (which I can sell, borrow or trade).
---
"Immigrants. That's all they do, you know. Just driving around, listening to raps, shooting all the jobs." - Malory Archer
GT: Bessy67
#10Ch3wyPosted 8/1/2013 4:19:07 AM
x1STP_KLOSRx posted...
Ch3wy posted...

I would bet that you got some amazing deals on those games too. Steam is the type of digital service everyone else should strive to be.

Yep that's why I have so many. I just recently got Saints Row 2+3, Risen 2 and Sacred 2 for $1 total. 3 more games are going to be added to the bundle later for no extra charge. Although that wasn't Steam, that was humblebundle.

People wouldn't mind digital and DRM if it was at the state it is on PC right now. It's too cheap to get mad at.

It's always nice to have options though.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.