Will xboxone use bluray or dvd hd again?

#31SunDevil77Posted 8/3/2013 4:26:42 PM
__Krystal__ posted...
geeet3 posted...
I've read that the one is using blu ray, but don't sony own some sort of rights when it comes to blu ray? Is MS paying a fee or something, I'm interested to know how this works, but if that's the case wouldn't sony be making money from the one? Or am I wrong, do sony not own some part of blu ray, I genuinely don't know and am trying to ask a sensible question, because this is something I have been wondering, does anyone know the answer?

From what I've read on here, that's true. But I've also read that Sony pay Microsoft for for something that they use that MS own the rights to.

Yes. Sony gets a little bit of cash from every One sold. Microsoft gets a little money from everything that uses this:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/VC-1
---
Justice...is what I seek, Kemosabe.
3DS FC: 0748 2141 3539
#32gogogodzillaPosted 8/3/2013 11:36:48 PM
It's going to use punch cards.

When you buy the game, you'll get 800,000 little punch cards to feed into the XBone in order for it to read the programming.

Heaven forbid if you get them out of order.
---
My Chicken says, "Cluck!"
#33BansheeNTDmode(Topic Creator)Posted 8/3/2013 11:58:17 PM
Juzten76 posted...
scorpio man posted...
BansheeNTDmode posted...
Because the 360 tried to sell me a hd dvd player back then and look how that turned out.

Stupid topic is stupid

Well it is a BansheeNTDmode post. That goes without saying.

Cool i got famous by making stupid threads that make people come in and flame wars starts
#34Jagt_MiragePosted 8/5/2013 7:39:24 PM
wolverinerob79 posted...
specialed1583 posted...
The big difference was that you didn't need the HDDVD player to play the games while you needed blu ray with the PS3. It might be the biggest reason why blu ray won the format war but it certainly works well enough for gaming.

Blu Ray won the format war because Sony had a much better business relationship with movie studios (since they're a major movie publisher themselves) and were able to convince more movies to be launched on their format. By just about every measurement, HDDVD was the better technology - but that doesn't always win. Just like how the PS3 is the worst selling console from the last generation even though it had the most advanced technology.

Also, the PS3 for a long time was the cheapest BD player you could buy since Sony was eating a $200 loss on the machine. It's why I bought mine and it's really only why I still use it.

by every measurement HDDVD was better technology? are you serious? 15 vs 25 Gigs. Higher bit-rate. Durabis coating which is highly scratch resistant. Technology wise Blu-ray was true next gen. Toshiba made HD-DVD so they can reuse most of the fab and equipment for DVD which was their cash cow, so it was a halfway technology. Too bad it didn't work out for them.

As for VC-1, yes it's a Microsoft Codec and they do get some royalty from that, but when's the last time you've seen a bluray use VC-1? Other than some imports I haven't seen a VC-1 bluray in years. Almost all blurays are H264/AVCHD these days. VC-1's big deal was good performance at low bitrates, hence it was ideal for HDDVD, but since blurays are capable for higher bitrates, not really much point to use VC-1.

As for Xbone, since Microsoft eventually joined the Bluray consortium (better late than never), they probably will use it in Xbone unless they decide to ditch optical altogether, which would be a mistake IMHO.
---
Currently Playing: nothing
#35LuckysCharm777Posted 8/5/2013 7:45:10 PM
Microsoft Windows 8 goes on all Sony laptops.