John Carmack says Kinect won't snoop on users, that laptops have cameras as well

#1BeastLeeAdamsPosted 8/2/2013 8:32:27 AM
http://www.gamespot.com/news/xbox-one-witch-hunt-somewhat-unjustified-says-carmack-6412437

Industry veteran John Carmack, who cofounded Doom studio id Software, believes the blowback surrounding Microsoft's since-reversed Xbox One policies was somewhat unjustified.

"I think the witch hunt was a little bit unjustified there," Carmack said during this keynote address at QuakeCon. "I personally am extremely fond of having all of my digital purchases in a curated garden. All of my iTunes, all of my Amazon stuff, all of my Steam things. And it's a positive thing."

The days of physical media are numbered, Carmack said, adding that a digital-only future is clearly the way forward.

"Yeah, you can have better and worse ways of doing that, but we are very quickly going to be past the age of having a game that you hold in your hands on optical media," Carmack said.

"It probably won't be many years before we wind up with SKUs that just have the optical drives deleted and everybody will just be getting it through the net," he added. "The future is obvious right there and it will be good for us in general."

Carmack also said he believes fears are overblown over the possibility that the Xbox One's new Kinect camera will snoop on users.

"If you go back ten years, the idea that everyone would carry around a phone that has your GPS-located position at all times would cause the tinfoil hat crowd to go absolutely crazy," Carmack said.

He said it is possible that the government will have backdoors into technology like smartphones and potentially Kinect to track consumers, but "that's pretty much the situation…we just kind of carry on."

He pointed out that the situation with Kinect is already in existence on laptops, which have had built-in webcams for years.

At the end of the day, Carmack said "we'll get used to it," because potential security concerns that come with new technology are "just inevitable."
---
"Go die. Everyone should go die.
Brb. Dying." - NashtheLion
#2MistaAtlasPosted 8/2/2013 8:55:16 AM
thought this was obvious to anyone with common sense.
---
GT:Wh0oIsJohnGalt
#3MRL3G3NDPosted 8/2/2013 9:01:30 AM
hit the wrong site and that pc cam will snap a pic of you too

I'm not worried about the Kinect spying on me...I'm seriously concerned with the "no choice, but to have it on watching you"

if they weren't forcing it I wouldn't give it a second thought

now it's like if you want to play games this things gotta be watching you...or you can't play

it utterly ridiculous at best
---
The Closest You'll Ever Come to Afghanistan in Gaming...
http://youtu.be/GIhqUiQJt6Q
#4TwinmoldPosted 8/2/2013 9:10:27 AM
now it's like if you want to play games this things gotta be watching you...or you can't play

You know it's a camera right? As in it's just an inanimate object right? It doesn't care if you're in your boxers.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheCptDecaf
#5NewMoonShadowPosted 8/2/2013 9:36:46 AM
Industry veteran John Carmack, who cofounded Doom studio id Software, believes the blowback surrounding Microsoft's since-reversed Xbox One policies was somewhat unjustified.

"I think the witch hunt was a little bit unjustified there," Carmack said during this keynote address at QuakeCon. "I personally am extremely fond of having all of my digital purchases in a curated garden. All of my iTunes, all of my Amazon stuff, all of my Steam things. And it's a positive thing."

The days of physical media are numbered, Carmack said, adding that a digital-only future is clearly the way forward.

"Yeah, you can have better and worse ways of doing that, but we are very quickly going to be past the age of having a game that you hold in your hands on optical media," Carmack said.

Here's the thing the industry execs and insiders don't seem to get though... that is not their choice. They don't decide the course of the future, the consumer decides the course of the future, and we made it perfectly clear that the future is not the bulls*** Microsoft was doing.

The backlash against Microsoft wasn't just the attempt at an all-digital console, it was the sum total of all the ways in which that attempt strangled and restricted end-user freedoms and rights. Everyone keeps comparing it to Steam but Steam has added benefits that make it worth it, benefits the X-Box One didn't have, and the XBox One had a bunch of restrictions Steam doesn't, most particularly the always-online bulls***.

Why do people not understand this? Nobody hated the XBox One for leaning digital, we hated it for being bulls***
#6thegreatsquarePosted 8/2/2013 9:44:12 AM
I keep my laptop camera's driver disabled and have it covered with a postage stamp.
---
ASUS G73jh i7 720/Mobility HD 5870/6GB DDR3 1404MHz/Seagate Momentus XT 750GB Hybrid HDD
#7EcotronPosted 8/2/2013 9:50:00 AM
Stop worrying about a dam kinect spying on you. If you worry about that I laugh if you aren't even more scared about your mobile phones spying on you.

Whiners and fanboys just looking for reasons to complain.
#8Evel138Posted 8/2/2013 9:54:27 AM(edited)
It's like I've said from the start of this tinfoil cap (mostly deliberate trolling) BS:

When the government starts to systematically disarm every law abiding citizen.....when free speech finds itself under the heel of a government jackboot.....when the hundreds of political dissidents with an open mic start to disappear in the night.....I might be concerned.

That the government can "spy" on me scratching my ass or is all too concerned with what random xboxnerd# 3428956 is doing on a Sunday afternoon isn't anywhere close to even being on my radar.
---
GT/PSN: Evel138 Lucky Number
http://fav.me/d6gbf9y
#9ManInGorillaSutPosted 8/2/2013 9:55:29 AM
thegreatsquare posted...
I keep my laptop camera's driver disabled and have it covered with a postage stamp.

same here
---
Give me Banana!
PSN ID; EL_BOMBASTICO
#10tubb311Posted 8/2/2013 10:00:14 AM
thegreatsquare posted...

LOL. like anyone gives a crap what your laptop webcam can see. jesus people are way too paranoid.
---
GT: DonShetland