John Carmack says Kinect won't snoop on users, that laptops have cameras as well

#131Evel138Posted 8/3/2013 8:28:17 AM
If we're talking corruption and egregious abuse of political power, I'm with you (again, see the IRS and harassment of opposition political groups of the executive office). It happens. It's been happening long before any of us were born....long before our grandparents....and their grandparents.....and their grandparents.......

Corruption is one thing.......However, in lieu of the peaceful exchange of power in our democratically elected republic, the notion that there is some unified cabal.....some shadow government (such as those in charge of the NSA) working autonomously outside of those individuals that abuse political power, is pure Hollywood fantasy.

I'm not saying we shouldn't rein in the accessibility for government officials to abuse their office, but that government = wholesale villainy is ridiculous and laughable, tinfoil cap territory.

Yes, the shadow government is going to install a bogeyman in their video game console so they can "spy" on randomxboxnerd#8374858.....for some inexplicable reason. WOW, what incredible power they wield.

Comic book non sense.
---
GT/PSN: Evel138 Lucky Number
http://fav.me/d6gbf9y
#132TiamatKillerPosted 8/3/2013 8:37:27 AM
Evel138 posted...
If we're talking corruption and egregious abuse of political power, I'm with you (again, see the IRS and harassment of opposition political groups of the executive office). It happens. It's been happening long before any of us were born....long before our grandparents....and their grandparents.....and their grandparents.......

Corruption is one thing.......However, in lieu of the peaceful exchange of power in our democratically elected republic, the notion that there is some unified cabal.....some shadow government (such as those in charge of the NSA) working autonomously outside of those individuals that abuse political power, is pure Hollywood fantasy.

I'm not saying we shouldn't rein in the accessibility for government officials to abuse their office, but that government = wholesale villainy is ridiculous and laughable, tinfoil cap territory.

Yes, the shadow government is going to install a bogeyman in their video game console so they can "spy" on randomxboxnerd#8374858.....for some inexplicable reason. WOW, what incredible power they wield.

Comic book non sense.

"Democratically elected republic."

That's funny, because the way I see it we had Republicans and Democrats, the two parties that have a monopoly on political power with the only difference being the name. Good luck to anyone who doesn't fall into one of those parties.

No one is saying there is some 'shadow government,' but it was convenient of you to use an outrageous term in order to bolster your own claims. That fact is, where there is power and opportunity, people will abuse it. That is a fact that has been proven time and again throughout history. And the Kinect provides a lot of opportunity for third-party data collection. 10 years ago, people would have called you a tinfoil hat crazy person if you spoke about people being able to track you via cell phone without a single problem. Now you're calling tinfoil hat...

Nice job on implementing hyperbole to completely minimize the overall situation, though.
---
i5-3570k @3.4GHZ | GTX 560Ti (2GB) | Asus P8Z77-V Pro | Samsung 840 (250GB) | 1TB Seagate 7200rpm | 8GB RAM | Zalman 9900 MAX | CoolerMaster HAF 912
#133Evel138Posted 8/3/2013 8:50:32 AM
TiamatKiller posted...

That's funny, because the way I see it we had Republicans and Democrats, the two parties that have a monopoly on political power with the only difference being the name. Good luck to anyone who doesn't fall into one of those parties.

I guess the TEA party was a figment of my imagination.

No one is saying there is some 'shadow government,' but it was convenient of you to use an outrageous term in order to bolster your own claims. That fact is, where there is power and opportunity, people will abuse it. That is a fact that has been proven time and again throughout history. And the Kinect provides a lot of opportunity for third-party data collection. 10 years ago, people would have called you a tinfoil hat crazy person if you spoke about people being able to track you via cell phone without a single problem. Now you're calling tinfoil hat...

We're addressing two different issues here.....

If we're talking about the "government", which has been cited as taking away our "rights and freedoms" several times ITT and just about everyone like it, then what e exactly are we talking about beyond some concept of the New World Order , Illuminati style BS

If we're talking "a lot of opportunity for third-party data collection", well MS has put it in public record and in their TOS that NO data will leave your XB without your "explicit permission" (exactly quote from the policy statement). So to get pretty much anywhere you appear to be at, you have to believe in a conspiracy theory by literal definition.

Nice job on implementing hyperbole to completely minimize the overall situation, though.

The only "hyperbole" is the notion that there is to be a bogeyman lurking inside my Kinect....waiting to "spy" on me for some inexplicable reason.
---
GT/PSN: Evel138 Lucky Number
http://fav.me/d6gbf9y
#134rvjgdPosted 8/3/2013 10:21:05 AM
adroge01 posted...
I get a brand new $2K+ laptop every 2-3 years, and none of them have ever had a camera. My desktop machine has a webcam which I keep unplugged unless I'm actually using it.

They have secret cameras hidden behind the screen for secret spying!
---
Dinosaurs ate my cabbage
#135Roris0APosted 8/3/2013 10:22:55 AM
I'm sorry but it really seems to me that you are the one who's coloring facts with your own projections and emotional appeals.

"bogeyman lurking inside my Kinect"

When putting it that way I too do not want to believe in it. You make it seem foolish. However, the facts are simply this:

Microsoft and the NSA are now working together.

NSA completely makes all personal terms and agreements between Consumers and MS void.

Who would've thought they would care about the phone records of the average American citizen?

The kinect is on 24/7 even when it's not on visually, it can still hear you. It's a creepy device that is never needed for a game console and sure as hell doesn't belong in a person's private quarters. One can't even turn it off completely.

There's no one trying to say there's some shadowy organization out there that's behind this or some larger agenda at hand.

That's all that there is to it, you can choose to think about it whatever you want.
#136SyphonFilterAddictPosted 8/3/2013 10:56:55 AM
Do laptops refuse to work if you place electrical tape over the lens? Nuff said.
---
May 21, 2013 : RIP Xbox
#137kayoticdreamzPosted 8/3/2013 11:03:01 AM
I love how people dont think a new world order illuminati style government isnt possible just because we live in the age of elections and presidents and such....you guys realize token presidents exist in most "election based" countries right? like the president of Iran or Russia or the peoples republic of china. just because the name got changed from king to president doesnt mean they are election based countries.

and just because america has a constitution(which lets be honest here is basically ignored and mocked by politicians and the people are by and large ignorant of the constitution) doesnt mean there cant be some grand conspiracy. maybe if americans gave a crap about the constitution and forced their elected leaders to do the same....but they dont so the constitution is a moot point.

i mean really its not like there have never been secret plots in government in the history of ever amirite???

so a secret plot in modern times.....by golly thats just unthinkable......

then we have the fact america is run by two political parties that are different by 1 or 2%

so really i fail to see where this "There can be no secret plot conspiracy" comes from because its unfoundeed. history tells otherwise. a little logical thinking tells otherwise. and an understanding of how governments tend to become corrupted tells otherwise. and just watching the damn news tells otherwise.
#138ILikesCheesePosted 8/3/2013 11:16:18 AM
Ragnawind posted...
Erik_P posted...
...Under the new laws that Obama approved, they don't even need to give you a trial or legal representation if they label you an enemy combatant (a nicer way of saying Enemy of the State)

Nice attempt at blaming Obama but there was this lovely little law passed under the Bush presidency called the Patriot Act. I'm sure you've heard of it.

Though Obama approved bill that was worse than that was.

The Patriot Act is worse.

And the simple-minded folk in the room seem to forget about this little thing called "Congress" and the "Senate" when it comes to passing bills.

-
---
If you're omnipotent and all-powerful...why would you need to REST? On the 7th or ANY day?
#139ILikesCheesePosted 8/3/2013 11:25:08 AM
Evel138 posted...
TiamatKiller posted...

I guess the TEA party was a figment of my imagination.

The only thing you are imagining is that they are not a part of the Republican Party. (And the absolute worst part of it at that.)

-
---
If you're omnipotent and all-powerful...why would you need to REST? On the 7th or ANY day?
#140ILikesCheesePosted 8/3/2013 11:26:56 AM
Evel138 posted...

FEMA is the Shadow Government.

Didn't you know that?

:D
---