John Carmack says Kinect won't snoop on users, that laptops have cameras as well

#321FoppePosted 8/23/2013 12:27:40 AM
Why do you even have your illegally owned guns on the wall in front of your TV?
Because that's the only way it can see it, it wont fly around your house searching for firearms.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#322Evel138Posted 8/23/2013 2:26:38 AM(edited)
Ryan-06 posted...
Not a traitor. just didn't support something when the country he wanted to serve crossed the line. I guess evel is your BFF. how goes it?

You wanna call Jimmy Carter a traitor too? He came out in support of Snowden. maybe you don't know that. tee hee.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/18/jimmy-carter-edward-snowden_n_3616930.html?utm_hp_ref=politics

"America does not have a functioning democracy at this point in time"

I only have a vague recollection of "NerdimusPrime" and it seems to be that of arguing with him about this same issue (Kinect "spycam" conspiracy theories). So you can question his sincerity.

You know the above only helps my case. I mean, don't get me wrong, I can't stand Jimmy Carter.....I remember the Carter years quite well. One of, if not the most inept administrations in contemporary American history (that is before Carter v2.0....Obama). Thank god for Ronald Reagan who had a spine regarding foreign policy and a clue when it came to a working economy.....but I digress.........

Jimmy Carter isn't the only one (Edit: I should not have accepted your implication at face value.....this is actually on record from Carter: "He's obviously violated the laws of America, for which he's responsible"....so, pretty much in line with my point).....there are many that support Snowden in principle. Hell, I am one. I recognize that his intention was good, but the road to hell is paved with good intentions. Ultimately his act was treasonous.

He should have stood like a man of his convictions to HIS people. The moment you start seeking asylum in China/Russia (ya know, those shiny bastions of human rights and freedom), your good intentions cease to exist to me (and many that share my point of view).
---
GT/PSN: Evel138 Lucky Number
http://fav.me/d6gbf9y
#323Gamer4e4Posted 8/23/2013 2:01:10 AM
I don't have a laptop (and will never buy one) ..no camera
I have a desktop ..no webcam
I don't have a mobile phone ..no camera

So, he's talking out of his rear end.
#324_PerfectionistPosted 8/23/2013 6:00:23 AM(edited)
I remember a few years ago, there have been claims of spying and stuff and many people quickly denied and laughed
"lulz zomg r u crazyy? herpity derp thy r not spying u idiot!!"
And it's happening again in this thread.
#325Evel138Posted 8/23/2013 7:00:06 AM
When people refer to "the government" (and this thread is a great illustration thereof) they tend to paint a very.....very broad stroke

The only "herpity derp" here is this idea that government is a sort of Guild of Calamitous Intent....this preposterous notion that "government" equals wholesale villainy.

Take again Edward Snowden...there are still those in the "government" that are sympathetic to his cause....in principle I am sympathetic to his cause....but this is a nation of laws, not men. It was not in Snowdens right to take US intelligence off to foreign lands. His good intention ceases to exist. We don't live in North Korea, he should have stood by his convictions like a man to his people, instead of running off like a coward to what are ultimately hostile nations.

Which all of this, as fascinating as is, still has virtually nothing to do with this imaginary "Kinect spycam" bogeyman conspiracy theory. Kinect has been in existence for several years.....you know anyone that has disappeared in the night?
---
#326NerdimusPrimePosted 8/23/2013 7:24:16 AM
Kinect's potential for spying is officially a non-issue since it became optional. If you find Kinect suspect but still want an Xbox One, don't use it. And BTW Evel, we did have a few words regarding Kinect ( I haven't posted on this board since Kinect became optional), but we parted semi-amicably (well, we agreed to disagree).

I can tell you for a fact that Snowden signed no less than a dozen contracts stating he would not divulge classified information, yet he chose to do so. Those contracts even detailed what the potential penalties would be for giving up that information, yet he chose to do so anyways. He is the textbook definition of a traitor ( giving classified information to a foreign power) and deserves to punished as such. I find it hilarious that Putin of all people is standing up for him, if the shoe was on the other foot, Snowden would have been eliminated faster than you can say ricin poisoning.
---
If you value privacy please sign here: https://optin.stopwatching.us/
#327rvnenderPosted 8/23/2013 7:54:03 AM
dillpickle69 posted...
The people who say we're paranoid for believing the Kinect will spy on us for PRISM are the same people who said it was paranoid to think the NSA was spying on us before a few months ago.

But a lot of people knew the government has been spying on us for years now. What was leaked about the NSA wasn't really surprising (when it comes to spying).

I am a huge conspiracy nut, and even I think the whole NSA using the kinect to spy on us is a little nutty.
---
"Not everybody has tube TVs without input lag. Tube TVs now banned online" -Maverick_McCain in reply to why turbo is frowned upon
#328NerdimusPrimePosted 8/23/2013 8:04:07 AM
rvnender posted...
dillpickle69 posted...
The people who say we're paranoid for believing the Kinect will spy on us for PRISM are the same people who said it was paranoid to think the NSA was spying on us before a few months ago.

But a lot of people knew the government has been spying on us for years now. What was leaked about the NSA wasn't really surprising (when it comes to spying).

I am a huge conspiracy nut, and even I think the whole NSA using the kinect to spy on us is a little nutty.

Agreed. Anyone who didn't assume all forms of electronic communication were being monitored post Patriot Act would be deluding themselves. Not saying that they are, but the fact of the matter is that they easily can be without your knowledge or consent.
---
If you value privacy please sign here: https://optin.stopwatching.us/
#329Evel138Posted 8/23/2013 8:08:57 AM
NerdimusPrime posted...
Kinect's potential for spying is officially a non-issue since it became optional. If you find Kinect suspect but still want an Xbox One, don't use it. And BTW Evel, we did have a few words regarding Kinect ( I haven't posted on this board since Kinect became optional), but we parted semi-amicably (well, we agreed to disagree).

I can tell you for a fact that Snowden signed no less than a dozen contracts stating he would not divulge classified information, yet he chose to do so. Those contracts even detailed what the potential penalties would be for giving up that information, yet he chose to do so anyways. He is the textbook definition of a traitor ( giving classified information to a foreign power) and deserves to punished as such. I find it hilarious that Putin of all people is standing up for him, if the shoe was on the other foot, Snowden would have been eliminated faster than you can say ricin poisoning.

Glad to hear it.....and apparently, we share a similar point of view on the specific case of Edward Snowden and his actions.

So I guess that makes us 1:1 agree/disagree ;-) even.
---
#330thirdbeast77Posted 8/23/2013 8:58:14 AM
THMBZDownGNZUp posted...
Why is there even the need for whistleblowers in government? By that I mean, why does government become so corrupt in the first place that one needs to be a whistleblower?

this is exactly the problem that needs to be solved. Forget the who what where when, Keep asking WHY?