When is the last time the most powerful console "won" its generation?

#1TheBorderColliePosted 8/2/2013 12:46:42 PM
When is the last time that a console with the best technical specs actually "won" its generation?

For all of the obsession this go-round (and past generations, too) about the technical specs of consoles, history tends to show that it doesn't matter all that much.
---
Proud supporter of the PS4 and Xbox #1
FACT: If you have privacy concerns about Kinect 2.0, then you better not have a smartphone either.
#2FOXSOLIDPosted 8/2/2013 12:48:17 PM
This gen will be different....Cheaper price....better hardware and more games.

30 exclusives on the way plus more company owned studios.
#3rdangPosted 8/2/2013 12:52:48 PM
Never. Look at PS3 software sales. History will repeat itself.
---
GT: A CLOUD AI
PS: SKOUNDR3LOPE
#4Ramsus082Posted 8/2/2013 12:56:03 PM(edited)
I don't know. Sony sold roughly half as many PS3's as they did PS2s, and they didn't tarnish their brand nearly as bad as MS has so far. Also, consider that Sony's consoles typically outsell Microsoft's in Europe and abroad, and that most of the X1's non-gaming features that they're marketing don't really apply to Europe, where most countries don't have Netflix or Hulu and couldn't care less about ESPN.

Sony had more brand capital to burn as well, coming off 150 million+ PS2 sales worldwide, whereas Microsoft sold about half of that this generation. There's less room for drop-off, basically. Considering the "better hardware that costs less" dynamic with the PS4, which I feel alone would be enough to have shifted the market leaders, and I'm coming up empty trying to think of a case why sales between the two companies won't be lopsided. Most of the best games this generation will probably be multiplatform, but Sony's first-party stable of development teams considered as a whole are arguably of better quality. I don't buy the argument that the "casual market" is as insulated from the bad press as us forum-goers tend to argue, either.

I know it's politically correct to hedge our bets here, but I really think a lot of us are underestimating the damage done to the Xbox brand, fairly or not(and believe me, a lot of it is unfair).

I'll do the mandatory disclaimer anyway:

"Obviously, these consoles aren't even out yet, and there's a lot that has changed since these consoles were announced, and even more that could change. We won't know until both consoles release and we can get actual sales figures."

*Edit: Reposted
#5Exodus_PrimePosted 8/2/2013 12:57:18 PM
Dreamcast was more powerful than the PS2 and look how that turned out.
---
Xbox One and PlayStation 4
Because I can buy both.
#6TheBorderCollie(Topic Creator)Posted 8/2/2013 12:57:41 PM
FOXSOLID posted...
This gen will be different....Cheaper price....better hardware and more games.

The same silly assumption that was made before every other generation before us.

For example, 360 and PS3 fans were saying the same thing this last generation and both consoles got their butts handed to them by a rival console that was VASTLY underpowered, had much less buy-in from game developers, and was constantly flamed as being "not a real contender" by other execs.
---
Proud supporter of the PS4 and Xbox #1
FACT: If you have privacy concerns about Kinect 2.0, then you better not have a smartphone either.
#7FOXSOLIDPosted 8/2/2013 12:58:21 PM
rdang posted...
Never. Look at PS3 software sales. History will repeat itself.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/01/sony-shows-a-profit-but-hardware-sales-are-soft

Good job. Fail more.
#8Cosmic_DiabeticPosted 8/2/2013 12:59:09 PM
It would have if it wasnt for those meddling kids and their wii too
---
"i've had sex with a chick who was a psy major, so yeah i think i know what aspergers is" -LiquidFuze180
#9MetroidFan9999Posted 8/2/2013 1:02:34 PM
I can play this.game:

When was the last time a console with a higher price at launch than the rest of it's competition....won?

I can assure you my thought process is better than yours.
---
Justin Bieber is a better musical artist than Eric Clapton (from a talent perspective, and more)
People who agree (running count): 438
#10Ramsus082Posted 8/2/2013 1:05:58 PM
When was the last time a console with a higher price at launch than the rest of it's competition....won?

To be fair, I believe the Dreamcast launched at 199 USD, and the PSone at 299 USD. That was quite a while ago, and there were a myriad other reasons why the Dreamcast failed, but that's a good example.