Indie developer "Why Nintendo Will Be Here for 100 Years, But MS and Zynga won't

#1HiddenRoarPosted 8/4/2013 2:32:13 AM
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2013/08/03-1/why-nintendo-will-be-here-for-100-years-but-microsoft-and-zynga-wont

Through thick and thin, from the soaring heights of the Super NES and DS to the abysmal lows of the Virtual Boy, Nintendo just keeps plugging away at the video game market, still standing by its loyal fans and always reaching out to new audiences. In fact, it seems like no matter what happens in the market, Nintendo will always be there--at least, that's what Oddworld's Lorne Lanning believes.

In a recent interview, Lanning brought up Xbox One boss Don Mattrick's departure from Microsoft to Zynga's greener (?) pastures:

"I looked at that and I thought, 'How does that whole [Xbox One] team feel, knowing that the guy who led them to that train wreck just jumped out with maybe a $5 million parachute?' That's an issue we don't talk about today, because it's not cool in capitalism to talk about that."

Completely contrasting with that, Lanning then talked about Nintendo's Satoru Iwata, specifically this month-old quote from Iwata when he was asked about laying off employees--it's actually kind of hard to keep a job in game design these days, because studios are being shut down left and right and publishers focus solely on the bottom line. Here's the important part of Iwata's statement:

"If we reduce the number of employees for better short-term financial results, employee morale will decrease. I sincerely doubt employees who fear that they may be laid off will be able to develop software titles that could impress people around the world.
"I also know that some employers publicize their restructuring plan to improve their financial performance by letting a number of their employees go, but at Nintendo, employees make valuable contributions in their respective fields, so I believe that laying off a group of employees will not help to strengthen Nintendo's business in the long run."

Moved by Iwata's resolve, Lanning continued:

"When he said that, in my opinion, he was immortalized in the creative community. I would work with him in a second. When a man in that type of position, in a world where the golden rule is the rule and that's what's expected at public companies, he stood up and said, 'That's not what we're about. We're about building great stuff. We have great people to build great stuff. We're gonna do that.

"When I look at the history of Nintendo, I say, 'Nintendo is going to be here in 100 years.' I have no doubt. I doubt Microsoft will be here in 100 years. I know Zynga won't be here in 100 years."

tl;dr: This guy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorne_Lanning says even Nintendo will outlast Microsoft (Zynga is a nonfactor dead horselol). Keep in mind, we're talking about video games, not MS's entire PC + software operation.

How do you feel?

Where's your god now, Zombiebird?
#2chrish909Posted 8/4/2013 2:37:56 AM
The idea of a video game company being around for 100 years is absurd. In 15 or 20 years consoles probably won't even be needed and tvs will be sold with video game functionaility included.
#3SoulTrapperPosted 8/4/2013 2:46:31 AM
chrish909 posted...
The idea of a video game company being around for 100 years is absurd. In 15 or 20 years consoles probably won't even be needed and tvs will be sold with video game functionaility included.

Actually Nintendo has been around for more then 100 years already.
Although they didn't start out as a video game company.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo
---
PSN: El_Coon
#4HiddenRoar(Topic Creator)Posted 8/4/2013 2:51:25 AM
chrish909 posted...

lol, I see someone didn;t read the article since the last tibbit:
Truth be told, Nintendo already has been around for 100 years--the company was founded in 1889, originally making hanafuda cards. But I'm with Lanning--the integrity of Nintendo's current leadership and the passion and infectious optimism they have as a company will keep them around for a lot longer. What do you think? Even with the Wii U not selling so well, will Nintendo keep abiding, just like it always has?
#5iamdanthamanPosted 8/4/2013 3:05:46 AM
This guy is an idealistic idiot. You can't continue to make games and consoles if you don't make money. Not every company is Nintendo. Don't expect every company to operate like they do. I find it ironic that you specifically mention that you are only talking about ms gaming division, but you want to count all the years Nintendo was around before video games even existed.
---
All your base are belong to us
#6HiddenRoar(Topic Creator)Posted 8/4/2013 3:12:50 AM
iamdanthaman posted...
This guy is an idealistic idiot. You can't continue to make games and consoles if you don't make money. Not every company is Nintendo. Don't expect every company to operate like they do. I find it ironic that you specifically mention that you are only talking about ms gaming division, but you want to count all the years Nintendo was around before video games even existed.

Hurp Durp, Lets save our gaming division even though it bleeds billions of dollars. Maybe this time, even with all the bad PR, we might be lucky to just spend half of it this time with the One.
#7iamdanthamanPosted 8/4/2013 3:18:57 AM
HiddenRoar posted...
iamdanthaman posted...

Hurp Durp, Lets save our gaming division even though it bleeds billions of dollars. Maybe this time, even with all the bad PR, we might be lucky to just spend half of it this time with the One.

Here's a question: When was the last time ms gaming division posted a loss? Billions of dollars? Dream on bro.
---
All your base are belong to us
#8billsfanno1Posted 8/4/2013 3:19:23 AM
Let's revisit this thread in 1 year. Something tells me if Wii U doesn't pick up momentum, these comments will appear noble yet fleeting. Find it ironic that Lanning would admire Iwata for sticking by the team considering he did the exact opposite with the Oddworld Inhabitants team.
#9LgndaryLiamPosted 8/4/2013 3:19:42 AM
Ah yes, the reliable words of the indie developer.

Note sarcasm.
#10mhan12345Posted 8/4/2013 3:21:36 AM
I love Nintendo, but the real test will be when visionaries like Miyamoto and Iwata move on and whether their successors will be able to carry on their legacy.
---
3DS FC: 3179-6078-6132