Question for all of the kinect haters

#1hamchunkPosted 8/6/2013 7:11:47 AM
I see people complain about the included kinect every day but I wonder if they've even tried the current kinect. It's not what was promised and yes it can be glitchy but I have one and do enjoy it.
I have 2 young kids so maybe that's why I see more value in it but it also reminds me of a more arcade experience, something that you couldn't have in your home before. So for any anti kinect people out there, have you tried it and don't like it or just never given it a chance?
---
Oh he's bringing love...... KILL HIM!
Live: Hamchunk PSN: Hamchunk 81
#2ACx7Posted 8/6/2013 7:15:16 AM
Most of the complaining you see here stems from the idea that Microsoft has an office somewhere with millions of monitors that they use to watch everyone as they play games.

Then there are others, like me, who have no problem with Kinect but have no interest in using it and don't like the fact that we have to pay for it.
#3Reflex-ArcPosted 8/6/2013 7:15:40 AM
Kinect was cool in a try it once and say "ooh neat" and then unplug it. Mine has been used maybe 5 or 6 times since launch, and then only when a buddy was over - and drunk - and wanted to see what it was all about.

While I appreciate the tech, I just have no want or need for it.
---
Case | Mother Board | CPU (OC'd!) | Video Card x 2 | RAM | PSU | SSD | HDD | Some Fans | Monitor | Mouse | Keyboard
#4rusty12000Posted 8/6/2013 7:24:18 AM
No one wants to wave their arms around to play games, controllers and mouse and keyboard work fine, and are a lot more accurate. People working with and reviewing the kinect 2 dev kits have said that the lag between doing the motion and it happening on screen is long enough that any kind of competitive play vs a controller would be a very one sided battle against kinect.

Also microsoft already got caught spying on skype users so its not too unbelievable that it could happen on kinect as well.
---
Everything EA contributed to gamers around the world in one youtube clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBoesEFWZnM
#5MetroidFan9999Posted 8/6/2013 7:31:17 AM(edited)
hamchunk posted...
I have 2 young kids so maybe that's why I see more value in it

So you are training your kids to have terrible hand/body/eye coordination due to the lag?
---
Preordered PS4 and Xbox ONE.
"Will flip the One" - Trinity
#6hoagieman482Posted 8/6/2013 10:59:38 AM
Any kind of motion sensing controls for games have not fared well through console history, Kinect is not alone. The only motion sensing controls that have had any major success is the Wii, and that's only because motion controls are one part of it, you still need to use a controller with buttons in addition to the motion controls. The Playstation Move tried to copy that success, but the overall response to it was tepid at best, and that might be incredibly generous.

I don't think it's hate so much for the Kinect, but for the gimmick of motion controls in general. If they put the voice recognition hardware and software into the XB1 for the voice commands, and sold the Kinect 2.0 with just the camera and motion controls separately, they could drop the overall price, appease the "It's gonna spy on me!" crowd, and not alienate people who don't trust motion controls. Just a thought.
---
I drank what? Socrates, last words
#7Juzten76Posted 8/6/2013 11:02:42 AM
ACx7 posted...
Most of the complaining you see here stems from the idea that Microsoft has an office somewhere with millions of monitors that they use to watch everyone as they play games.

Then there are others, like me, who have no problem with Kinect but have no interest in using it and don't like the fact that we have to pay for it.
#8Draconas_LyrrPosted 8/6/2013 11:05:24 AM
I don't like Kinect because I don't like the lack of a controller, it's why I prefer the PS Move.
---
PSN: Draconas_Lyrr
Difference between "a" and "an": "a" comes before consonant sounds, "an" before vowel sounds.
#9Ramsus082Posted 8/6/2013 11:25:57 AM
If given the choice of taking an X1 with Kinect, or getting one without Kinect but with better graphics hardware and a lower price, I think most people would choose the latter. Aside from the spying issue, I think that's the bigger problem people are having with it. Not that the technology can't/won't have it's benefits to gaming.
#10teaguejrPosted 8/6/2013 11:33:58 AM
Tried it then sold it on ebay.
---
PSN: Broodn; XBox Live: Broodn