just spoke to a time warner executive

#1grampamurkedPosted 8/6/2013 11:27:30 AM
Did a bid for his bathroom remodel and afterwards asked him a few questions about how they intend to compete with Google Fiber here in KC. But more importantly I asked about the deal they made with Microsoft and he offered a few small details.
He stated that he wasn't involved with those decisions but was sure that the deal was for their TV functionality app Which provides programming of all their channel's.

If true that will be pretty sweet cause I use that app on my tablet and it's better than the functionality of their actual cable box.

He also mentioned they are in talks with Samsung for their tv's.
---
New user...long time lurker.
#2grampamurked(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2013 11:30:26 AM
I also forgot to mention that he said this app would eliminate the need for a set top cable box.
---
New user...long time lurker.
#3Joey-ZazaPosted 8/6/2013 11:32:40 AM
That last part is the most important.

lol

So you rent a set top for $9.99 a month.

Over the course of the X1's life, probably around 7 years... you will save $839.16. Your X1 will basically pay for itself. This also assumes set boxes will still cost around $10 a month which I highly doubt.
---
"I guess you could say I BLUE... myself!" - Tobias Funke
-StarTropics- -Golden Sun- -Ocarina of Time-
#4METALINGUS5150Posted 8/6/2013 11:33:03 AM
I have a cousin who works in Microsoft, he told me that what you said was not true.
#5Joey-ZazaPosted 8/6/2013 11:35:13 AM
Whoops checked my bill I'm exaggerating a bit. My set top is $6.99 from Verizon. Still, that's $587.16.
---
#6ElPolloDiablo87Posted 8/6/2013 11:38:46 AM
The TWCTV app isn't necessarily all the channels. I have it on Roku, and where I live the app has none of the networks (NBC, CBS, Fox, ABC) and no ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU even though I get all those channels through my cable subscription. Maybe they'll expand the functionality eventually, but as it stands the TWCTV app kinda sucks since those are the channels I watch the most.
---
Madre de Dios, es El Pollo Diablo!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E28WrhpTzQA
#7Joey-ZazaPosted 8/6/2013 11:40:02 AM
I just realized, I'm only 13 years old I don't even have bills or even know about money at all.

LOL

DIAREAH
---
#8IronSasquatchPosted 8/6/2013 11:43:53 AM
Joey-Zaza posted...
I just realized, I'm only 13 years old I don't even have bills or even know about money at all.

LOL

DIAREAH

I laughed so much harder than I should have at this post.
---
Your body may be gone, I'm gonna carry you in in my head and in my heart, in my soul.
#9Joey-ZazaPosted 8/6/2013 11:45:46 AM
Too much coffee. lol
---
#10djrudenPosted 8/6/2013 11:46:46 AM
Cable television is an over-priced, dying medium. I'll stilck with netflix and hulu. Let me know when they finally charge on a per-channel basis and I might consider paying for streaming tv. Haven't paid for cable tv or satellite for a decade now so I don't forsee ever needing it.