How can they impossibly improve on gaming aside from graphics?

#1BopermansPosted 8/6/2013 11:45:50 AM
From everything I know of the XBOX ONE launch titles, the only way they appear any different than 360 games is the graphics..the ability for a game to look better and run more smoothly, and now when you're playing the game you can blurt out "XBOX I want to watch TV" and find yourself gazing at the telly. Other than this, I see no mind-bending innovations. The one idea I can come up with would be to take old game engines which have already had tons of work put into them, turbo-charge the graphics, and then add countless more details to expand the world in which the gamer is immersed.
For example, if they could take all of the work they put into Elder Scrolls Skyrim, make it look twice as good, and then add a ton of new regions, more thoughtful and dynamic NPC's, so on and so forth...that seems to be the best approach to creating a vastly more complex and beautiful game without putting in the extra time and energy it would take to start from scratch. It would seem to start from scratch on a game expected to be twice as interesting and vast would also take twice as long and perhaps cost the developers twice as much...
---
XBL WhiskeredBOPE
#2Bopermans(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2013 11:49:09 AM
I should add, I'm not bagging on XBOX here, it is my console of choice. I am simply daring my fellow XBOX aficionados to try and blow me out of the water with what of the XBOX ONE has so far impressed they themselves.
---
XBL WhiskeredBOPE
#3SinisterSlayPosted 8/6/2013 11:54:05 AM
More games to target less people. Not less games to target more people like we have now.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#4MetroidFan9999Posted 8/6/2013 11:56:05 AM
Go watch VR troopers and educate yourself!
---
Preordered PS4 and Xbox ONE.
"Will flip the One" - Trinity
#5Joey-ZazaPosted 8/6/2013 11:59:27 AM
I could give 2 s***s about graphics. It really pisses me off how gaming is going in the direction of glorified movies.

Some of my favorite games have terrible graphics and they're from the 90s.

SCREW THIS. I'm buying a Wii U.
---
"I guess you could say I BLUE... myself!" - Tobias Funke
-StarTropics- -Golden Sun- -Ocarina of Time-
#6Dev0311Posted 8/6/2013 12:01:27 PM
They could make games that respond to your facial emotions in real time.
#7MrImpatient35Posted 8/6/2013 12:06:50 PM
2 games were VERY impressive to me, and I don't mean graphically. Dead Rising 3 is one of them. To have SO MANY zombies on screen at once, and no loading screens, is very impressive. I'm sure current gen console would explode trying to run that game.

The second is Battlefield 4. With such a GORGEOUS game, it's impressive to me the level of destruction they have, running at 60fps. Stone statues chip away as bullets hit them. That's insane, with such a beautiful game.
---
Dost thou even hoist?
Dead Rising 3 and Battlefield 4 are already a done deal!
#8userfrigginamePosted 8/6/2013 12:08:41 PM
Create games that really are non-linear. It doesn't make a big difference to me if a game is linear or not, but so many ppl think that non-linear games means that you can do all these side-quests, or that you have some decision that affects the story or ending slightly, but really doesn't change the main course of events. I say make a game that if one of your characters dies in a battle, whether it be random or a boss battle or whatever, then that triggers its own specific set of events that can completely change the rest of the game. Well... now that I think about it, that'd prolly be way to hard for anyone to do anyway.
#9Joey-ZazaPosted 8/6/2013 12:09:54 PM
userfrigginame posted...
Create games that really are non-linear. It doesn't make a big difference to me if a game is linear or not, but so many ppl think that non-linear games means that you can do all these side-quests, or that you have some decision that affects the story or ending slightly, but really doesn't change the main course of events. I say make a game that if one of your characters dies in a battle, whether it be random or a boss battle or whatever, then that triggers its own specific set of events that can completely change the rest of the game. Well... now that I think about it, that'd prolly be way to hard for anyone to do anyway.

The Witcher Games seem up your ally if you're looking for a drastic change in a games direction due to choices you make.
---
"I guess you could say I BLUE... myself!" - Tobias Funke
-StarTropics- -Golden Sun- -Ocarina of Time-
#10userfrigginamePosted 8/6/2013 12:11:53 PM
Joey-Zaza posted...
userfrigginame posted...

The Witcher Games seem up your ally if you're looking for a drastic change in a games direction due to choices you make.

Cool. Lookin forward to 3.