I HATE <------($trong word) the bad reputation Kinect gets from buffoons here

#1JeffandhisbanjoPosted 8/6/2013 10:47:06 AM(edited)
80/80

I REALLY MEAN IT. It makes me so upset and sick in my stomach to see some suckers round here bad mouthing Kinect with their paranoid delusions and boogeyman stories. If I could slap some sense into you and your momma I would cause you Kinect bashers are insane. It seems like some people have been beaten with the stupid stick like a bad dog.
#2Decimator11Posted 8/6/2013 10:47:42 AM
inb4you'retheonewhowasbeatenwiththestupidstickpost
---
http://i.imgur.com/qwW6T.jpg
#3IronSasquatchPosted 8/6/2013 10:49:23 AM(edited)
Does it bother you when people bash Kinect for being gimmicky and shifting the focus of games towards motion/voice control? Cause that's what I do. I'm not paranoid about it spying or anything, I just don't like motion controls and would prefer that they remain completely optional on consoles.

EDIT: Also, I love that you say 80/80 when 8 of those characters are "<-------".
---
Your body may be gone, I'm gonna carry you in in my head and in my heart, in my soul.
#4Laylow12Posted 8/6/2013 10:48:06 AM
27/.000145

Look, it's Jeff and his banjo!
---
The Queen of Light took her bow, and then she turned to go.
The Prince of Peace embraced the gloom, and walked the night alone.-Battle of Evermore/Zeppelin
#5Jeffandhisbanjo(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2013 10:50:09 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#6Decimator11Posted 8/6/2013 10:50:26 AM
Now that I've made my inb4 post, I will post my own opinions on the device.

Kinect should never be used to fully control a game unless it's something like sports games (I want to see a boxing game utilizing the new Kinect, by the way) or dance games. However, it is capable of changing games in passing off things that would be otherwise inconvenient to quick little gestures or voice commands. The following examples are from personal experience and opinions, so take them as you will:

Take Skyrim, for example. Being able to use the Dragon Shouts and "hotkeying" favorite items through voice command allows me access to all of the shouts and lets me switch items on the fly without having to pause the game and open menus. It makes for, in my opinion, a more seamless game experience.

For something in the upcoming generation, we look to Dead Rising 3. I'm not quite sold on the zombies responding to loud household noises through the Kinect, but it does seem interesting. What I am more focused on is the way that you can quickly move the controller forward to throw off a zombie that is clinging onto you. This seems like a quicker and much faster way to do this than wiggling a thumbstick like a maniac.

There are other possibilities that could present themselves as well. I've seen ideas thrown around about a horror game that can time its scares to your heart rate and catch you when you are at your least guarded. There's also the head tracking aspect, where you might be able to slightly turn your head to make your character's head tilt to look around corners or just to see what's on your left or right.

Do I think that motion controls and voice commands will become the norm when it comes to how games are played? Hell no. Do I think that by passing off inconvenient controls to simple gestures or voice commands, or by augmenting a game with information taken from a player by the Kinect passively, games can be made smoother and more interactive? Yes, I do.

But, as always, time will tell.
---
#7IronSasquatchPosted 8/6/2013 10:51:28 AM
Jeffandhisbanjo posted...
IronSasquatch posted...
Does it bother you when people bash Kinect for being gimmicky and shifting the focus of games towards motion/voice control? Cause that's what I do. I'm not paranoid about it spying or anything, I just don't like motion controls and would prefer that they remain completely optional on consoles.

Yeah you're bothering me right now. I don't agree with you at ALL and I am tempted to call you an idiot!!! But I am a better than that. You might not be an idiot. All I gotta say is it still is optional!! Xbox comes with a controller still!!

Mandatory Kinect is optional? Well, I'm sold. You made a buyer out of me.
---
Your body may be gone, I'm gonna carry you in in my head and in my heart, in my soul.
#8Decimator11Posted 8/6/2013 10:52:49 AM
IronSasquatch posted...
IronSasquatch posted...

Yeah you're bothering me right now. I don't agree with you at ALL and I am tempted to call you an idiot!!! But I am a better than that. You might not be an idiot. All I gotta say is it still is optional!! Xbox comes with a controller still!!

I believe he's referring to not using the motion controls, which you do not have to do for the current games coming out for the system.
---
#9IronSasquatchPosted 8/6/2013 10:55:15 AM
Decimator11 posted...
IronSasquatch posted...
IronSasquatch posted...

I believe he's referring to not using the motion controls, which you do not have to do for the current games coming out for the system.

Yeah, I know. I'm partially just being a smart ass. However, with the Kinect now being bundled, developers will be far more prone to include Kinect functionality in game, and be less inclined to optimize the non-kinect capabilities. I don't like voice/motion controls, and I would like to still get the optimal experience without them. I'd be willing to bet that that won't be the case. It's just not worth $500 for me to find out if it's true.
---
#10lilj812Posted 8/6/2013 10:55:18 AM
IronSasquatch posted...
IronSasquatch posted...

Hey man, it's just like free slaves. You know, slaves that are free. Or like paying to get so you can get something for free. Same thing, right?
---
"World's best heel and you don't even know it"