What is Paywall?

#21SORS_IMMANISPosted 8/13/2013 4:29:35 AM
It's a block on features that requires you to give a company money to use them.

In Sony's case, it's especially bad as they are blocking third-party multiplayer with a paywall. A service the customer already paid for when they bought the game. Multiplayer that Sony doesn't own, operate, maintain or update.

Yet they are blocking our access to it and demanding money...
#22IronSasquatchPosted 8/13/2013 4:30:52 AM
thedeerzord posted...
The_Nightwing posted...
Things like Netflix and other features are locked behind the Gold membership, while Sony let's you use them without a subscription to their service.

Why is that a problem? Its free on the PS3 along with multiplayer and people aren't whining about it? On the Xbox One your basically paying the same price for the same features on the 360? Why is that a problem? That just pushes PS3 fans to the Xbox One since they have to pay for multiplayer.

PS4: 60$ a year for multiplayer

Xbox One: 60$ for everything

This is almost on the level of "I'm paying less for my system because I already own a headset, therefore I subtract the price of the headset from the XBO price."

You really don't see a problem with services that are free elsewhere, or paid for through a different company (Netflix) not being available unless you pay MS for them as well. Skype, recording software, Netflix...you could not pay $60 a year and use all of those on other media devices. I'm sure I missed a bunch of features too.
---
Your body may be gone, I'm gonna carry you in in my head and in my heart, in my soul.
#23cheater87Posted 8/17/2013 2:43:35 AM
PS+ is 50 bucks a year.
---
http://i.imgur.com/OlAyuQb.jpg http://i.imgur.com/KnLuqux.jpg
#24ItIsOkBroPosted 8/17/2013 6:09:42 AM
Basically if you try to use Netfix MS will be all like

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080728051612/donkeykong/images/e/e2/B_Locker.png
---
I'm wrong for the right.
#25dearestnightPosted 8/17/2013 6:24:08 AM
A pimp.
#26AssassinINEPosted 8/17/2013 6:46:13 AM
It's funny that this is now becoming an issue. Xbox Live on 360 has been this way since the very beginning.

Also could care less about a paywall since I pay for XBL anyways to play multiplayer. And if you're the least bit savvy, you can get 12 months for no more than $40 a year. Constant deals on ebay, amazon, newegg, etc. Just this past week they had it for $30.
#27EnclavePosted 8/17/2013 6:54:34 AM
SORS_IMMANIS posted...
It's a block on features that requires you to give a company money to use them.

In Sony's case, it's especially bad as they are blocking third-party multiplayer with a paywall. A service the customer already paid for when they bought the game. Multiplayer that Sony doesn't own, operate, maintain or update.

Yet they are blocking our access to it and demanding money...

I think you got that a bit wrong.

Microsoft blocks everything online behind their pay wall.

Sony blocks multi-player behind their paywall but not all multiplayer. For instance, Final Fantasy XIV isn't expected to be behind the paywall, neither is DC Universe Online or Planetside 2.

Sony is the one who has exceptions for their paywall, Microsoft does not. So really if anybody has an especially bad paywall it's Microsoft.

Also Xbox Live costs $60 per year while PS+ costs $50, so you're also paying less for Sonys and they give many more perks than Live gives for that subscription.

Now bare in mind, I'm not a fan of PS+ being required for online play but just looking at things rationally without being blinded by fanboyism? Sony clearly is giving far more value for your dollar than Microsoft as well as giving you far more options if you choose not to subscribe to the service.
---
The commercial says that Church isn't for perfect people, I guess that's why I'm an atheist.
#28AjidoMarujidoPosted 8/17/2013 1:36:18 PM
thedeerzord posted...
The_Nightwing posted...
Things like Netflix and other features are locked behind the Gold membership, while Sony let's you use them without a subscription to their service.

Why is that a problem? Its free on the PS3 along with multiplayer and people aren't whining about it? On the Xbox One your basically paying the same price for the same features on the 360? Why is that a problem? That just pushes PS3 fans to the Xbox One since they have to pay for multiplayer.

This is the best logic I've ever heard.
---
[[Currently Playing]] -- Replaying all Ace Attorney games (DS), Tales of Xillia (PS3)
[[PSN - MilesEdgeworth]] ~ [[XBL - The 22nd]]
#29Dev445Posted 8/17/2013 1:43:19 PM
A wall that you have to pay to get over, I'm dead serious no lie.
---
"You all say you want to be human, but why would you want to become something so flawed" - Edward Elric - FullMetal Alchemist
#30teaguejrPosted 8/17/2013 2:45:59 PM
thedeerzord posted...
The_Nightwing posted...

Not everyone plays multiplayer games
---
PSN: Broodn; XBox Live: Broodn