So what can the console do without Xbox Live Gold?

#1Orange_ApplesPosted 8/12/2013 12:17:45 AM(edited)
So I keep reading posts saying certain features are behind the XBLGold paywall, and some just seem ridiculous (for some reason I keep seeing Youtube as something that requires Gold). The most recent one was that Gold is required to use the voice commands for TV functions. This is stuff I either can't comprehend or I don't want to believe.

I'd like to know: aside from playing Xbox One games and playing Blu-rays, DVDs and CDs, what can the Xbox One do without needing Xbox Live Gold?
---
PC + Nintendo
Winning combination in the late 80s, winning combination in the 90s, winning combination today.
#2FoppePosted 8/12/2013 12:32:02 AM
No gold - A singleplayer console.
With Gold - A multiplayer multimedia system.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#3Decimator11Posted 8/12/2013 12:35:23 AM
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live

Go to the bottom. All of those things need Gold to function.
---
http://i.imgur.com/qwW6T.jpg
#4Evel138Posted 8/12/2013 12:36:13 AM
What's ridiculous is how many times people have felt the need to regurgitate the word "paywall" on this board during this last week.
---
GT/PSN: Evel138 Lucky Number
http://fav.me/d6gbf9y
#5Orange_Apples(Topic Creator)Posted 8/12/2013 12:45:05 AM
Evel138 posted...
What's ridiculous is how many times people have felt the need to regurgitate the word "paywall" on this board during this last week.

do you have a better term to describe it?

Decimator11 posted...

Foppe posted...

So all of that entertainment stuff that I'm actually interested in require a subscription fee? This thing is pretty much useless for what I want it to do >_>
---
PC + Nintendo
Winning combination in the late 80s, winning combination in the 90s, winning combination today.
#6SoulTrapperPosted 8/12/2013 1:15:48 AM
Evel138 posted...

What would you like to call it?

GreedBarrier? CashBorder? DollarShield?
---
PSN: El_Coon
#7Morael_ThelPosted 8/12/2013 1:20:20 AM
Orange_Apples posted...
Evel138 posted...

do you have a better term to describe it?

Decimator11 posted...

Foppe posted...

So all of that entertainment stuff that I'm actually interested in require a subscription fee? This thing is pretty much useless for what I want it to do >_>

From your sig, it appears you have a PC, which is an exceptional media system. And Xbox tends to be heavily online oriented as far as games. I'm curious as to what your motivation is for getting an Xone, assuming you are since you made this topic.
---
Preordered: XONE, PS4
Games: Elder Scrolls Online, Titanfall, Infamous Second Son
#8stekim40Posted 8/12/2013 2:03:13 AM
Not much

Can't even watch Sky on it, sure my 360 has the Sky TV application but you need gold to use it.

Even though I'm already paying Sky 40 per month for it.

But of course I can watch Sky on my PC or laptop FREE

And.. I can watch it on my ipad FREE

Microsoft are beyond greedy but I will never again buy gold anyway.
---
With Kinect you are the tool, Microsoft's tool. Now dance puppet, dance!
#9Orange_Apples(Topic Creator)Posted 8/12/2013 2:06:09 AM
Morael_Thel posted...
From your sig, it appears you have a PC, which is an exceptional media system. And Xbox tends to be heavily online oriented as far as games. I'm curious as to what your motivation is for getting an Xone, assuming you are since you made this topic.

Yes, I do have a PC and it is pretty good (just to get that out of the way).

When I saw the Xbox One reveal and saw the voice commands functionality and knew that was something I wanted (I've been a fan of Star Trek, so the way I see it anything that brings us closer to that cannot be a bad thing). I wanted to be able to access media (live cable TV, online streaming, or media on my PC) using voice commands. As cool as that functionality is, It isn't worth the subscription fee for me.

I have an xbox one on pre-order but since the features I want aren't going to be accessible for Silver members, I'm not sure I'm going to hold onto it. If MS doesn't allow free members to use the bulk of the Xbox One features and make that announcement by late October, I'm definitely going to cancel.

It's ironic, I'm one of the people who hated all of the 180s MS has done saying it shows they aren't confident in their product and now the only way I'll be getting the system is if they do another 180.

(I am using ironic correctly, right?)
---
PC + Nintendo
#10Evel138Posted 8/12/2013 4:11:04 AM
SoulTrapper posted...
Evel138 posted...

What would you like to call it?

GreedBarrier? CashBorder? DollarShield?

How about it not being worth mentioning at all?

I mean people are pretending as it some big issue now. As if suddenly, the "paywall" hasn't been the model for XBL since the beginning.

People aren't buying Gold to watch Netflix or check Facebook, they're typically buying Gold for the multiplayer features......speaking of which, the ONLY thing that is changing next gen from this is the PSN players are going to be paying a subscription to play online as well.

Good times for everyone!
---
GT/PSN: Evel138 Lucky Number
http://fav.me/d6gbf9y