Why exclusives are going to make a come back

#1pigman2003Posted 8/13/2013 11:16:29 PM
Most people will say that multiplat's will rule the industry or that one console will have more exclusives but to be honest both Sony and Microsoft will be dishing out the exclusives head to head.

A lot of people complain about the lack of MS exclusives last gen, but that's because MS didn't NEED exclusives, the 360 sold without them and add to that third party support because the PS3 wasn't out and when it was it didn't sell well, that is why it took so long for "Bioshock" and "Mass Effect" to come to the PS3.

Because the PS3 was hurting in sales Sony was FORCED to make exclusives to sell their console.

Now we have the PS and Xbox going head to head so both companies are going to be dishing out exclusives to sell their consoles, and it looks like MS took first strike.

Third party exclusives are no longer going to exist unless they're paid like MS with many of their exclusives but that's only until their current new studios can produce new next gen exclusives.

Exclusives are making a comeback and it looks like Microsoft has the game of the year released already.

Zoo Tycoon
#2Decimator11Posted 8/13/2013 11:22:14 PM
Ah yes, the might of Zoo Tycoon.
---
http://i.imgur.com/qwW6T.jpg
#3SoulTrapperPosted 8/13/2013 11:22:24 PM
So you're saying that as long as enough people will buy the xbox one, MS won't invest in exclusives at all and will just leave their fanbase dry?

Interesting theory.
---
PSN: El_Coon
#4Webmaster4531Posted 8/13/2013 11:25:05 PM(edited)
I'm glad there will be more TLOU level games.
---
Ad Hominem.
#5pigman2003(Topic Creator)Posted 8/14/2013 12:05:35 AM
SoulTrapper posted...
So you're saying that as long as enough people will buy the xbox one, MS won't invest in exclusives at all and will just leave their fanbase dry?

Interesting theory.

That's true for Sony as well, but with these two consoles going head to head and being equal in terms of features, give or take a few, companies will be forced to invest more in exclusives to differentiate their respective consoles to sell them.
#6RaRitsujunPosted 8/14/2013 12:07:16 AM
Xbone180'll be full of timed exclusives, again.
---
18700 XBL Gamerscores | 36 PSN Platinums - Level 23 | 6234 AppleGC pts
Demon's Souls and DARK SOULS are the real videogames.
#7656stoogePosted 8/14/2013 12:09:30 AM
I'm still hesitant. What's to stop MS from giving up with exclusives after the first few years again? They need them to sell consoles at the moment, but even then they're not really giving us more in terms of 1st party IP's, and MS has a poor track record for hanging onto 3rd party exclusives.
---
For want of the price of tea and a slice, the old man died.
#8pigman2003(Topic Creator)Posted 8/14/2013 12:14:34 AM
656stooge posted...
I'm still hesitant. What's to stop MS from giving up with exclusives after the first few years again? They need them to sell consoles at the moment, but even then they're not really giving us more in terms of 1st party IP's, and MS has a poor track record for hanging onto 3rd party exclusives.

Microsoft has opened 5 new first party studios, one of which is black tusk.

MS is buying 3rd party exclusives to give those studios time to produce games.

At least that's my guess.
#9656stoogePosted 8/14/2013 12:22:16 AM
Are they buying timed exclusives though? I'm not going to forget everything that went on this gen all of a sudden just because a shiny new console is out (this isn't me attacking you btw. just what I think MS thinks at the moment).
MS heard us complaining over the last three or four years and had all the time in the world to prove us wrong and put out a decent exclusive or two. Instead they decided to ignore the core gamer and focus on Kinect with the plan that they'd start trying again when the next gen rolled along.

Well once bitten, twice shy. And I know many others that feel that way. My brother is always complaining to me that he can't play the latest PS3 exclusives and how he wishes he bought a PS3 instead (he's a poor Uni student and can't afford another console). So next gen he's getting a PS4 instead.

I can't blame him. I'm waiting a few years at least to see just how many of these supposed exclusives trickle down to other systems. And I'm thinking that for a lo of games, Titanfall and Dead Rising 3 in particular, that I'm not going to be waiting long. I can't see EA making their new 'CoD killer' an exclusive for longer than 6 months.
---
For want of the price of tea and a slice, the old man died.
#10SoulTrapperPosted 8/14/2013 1:00:21 AM
pigman2003 posted...

That's true for Sony as well, but with these two consoles going head to head and being equal in terms of features, give or take a few, companies will be forced to invest more in exclusives to differentiate their respective consoles to sell them.

But that's always been the case.

The x360 was selling less than the ps3 and MS still didn't invest in any new exclusives the last 3 years or so this gen.

Sony didn't buy those exclusives, it's just that a lot of the exclusives were made by Japanese companies.
X360 doesn't sell in Japan, so those companies had no reason to port their games to the 360.
---
PSN: El_Coon