So, why do you guys insult people buying a different console than you?

#1vgsrulePosted 8/16/2013 1:32:30 PM
I don't really get it.

It doesn't affect you in any way at all. All it means is they prefer that device over yours, for reasons different than yours.

You're pretty much insulting someone for having a different mindset on something where no mindset is actually bad.

This is why things like "Sony Pony" and "Xbot" are so weird to me. What motivates you to use a degrading term, exactly? What exactly is so bad that you need to use this?

I can understand using it against someone being obnoxious themselves, but why start it?

Why do you even enjoy it? It's pointless, degrading, and just goes in circles, and nothing ends up being said.

And you can have an argument without being insulting. It is entirely possible for this board to have the exact same arguments it does now, but in a less...stupid way.
---
http://backloggery.com/khff123
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/A_Metal_Pipe
#2ImThe8thWonderPosted 8/16/2013 1:33:47 PM
People are drawn to the drama. It's the reason why sports fans fight about their favorite teams.
#3SegavsCapcomPosted 8/16/2013 1:34:30 PM
Compensation.
---
My sig will never happen, but it would be awesome if it did.
3DS FC: 1306-5920-0665 _PSN: SegavsCapcom
#4cpcjlc3Posted 8/16/2013 1:35:03 PM
Insecurity?

As a soon to be Xbox One owner, I love the soon to be PS4 owners. The competition is going to keep MS on it's toes and will prevent them from slacking off. And in a year or so when I buy the PS4, the feeling will be reversed.
#5legend253Posted 8/16/2013 1:39:44 PM
Opinions don't exist.

If one purchases an "inferior" product that costs more than the competition, one is stupid, an idiot, must be convinced how wrong they are.

One wishes to voice one's opinion as fact (because opinions don't exist).

Sensible discussion does not exist.

Gamefaqs.

I'm right, you're wrong-syndrome.

Swelling of the want-to-tell-people-they're-dumb gland.

That said, I'm buying an X1, PS4 doesn't appeal to me. Microsoft will buy most of the exclusives for games I want (see; Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Infinite Undiscovery) or they will purchase multiplat rights for games that will run better on their console anyway (see; Catherine, any FPS, any Bethesda game, any multiplat).

Of course, that's my opinion. The PS4 is easier to develop for than the PS3, so maybe it'll be switched around this time.
---
GT: Lord Avon, SS: Lord
"Sidney Briar is Alive!"
#6Webmaster4531Posted 8/16/2013 1:44:27 PM
I did call some people ignorant back when the DRM was in full effect. Objectively loosing consumer rights for no benefits is ignorant.
---
Ad Hominem.
#7Ramsus082Posted 8/16/2013 1:46:20 PM
It's the mourning process. Every fanbase goes through it when it becomes clear that their console will be taking a backseat to the competition in gamers' homes. Sony fans did it when the Xbox360 was the dominant console in the States, and they grudgingly bought an X360 and got over it. Most probably figured the XboxOne would be their next console purchase, at least until E3 happened. Microsoft fans are going through a similar thing now. Consumer and industry support has obviously shifted to Sony's side at the moment, and it's an awkward transition. It always is. It's the gaming Circle of Life. Nothing new. It'll probably happen again in some form 8-10 years from now.
#8gobuffalo30Posted 8/16/2013 1:47:36 PM
I think it's been more about misinformation being thrown out there while posting illogical statements.
#9CyhortI82Posted 8/16/2013 1:53:52 PM(edited)
Webmaster4531 posted...
I did call some people ignorant back when the DRM was in full effect. Objectively loosing consumer rights for no benefits is ignorant.

Family sharing and instant game switching after install for physical copies were the benefits.

On topic, stuff like that is why I tend to get annoyed at the "Sony Ponies". They actively promote lies or half truths to try and build this stupid image that MS was/is trying to "screw people" and other inflammatory little sayings that are designed to get people to react emotionally so they don't bother trying to find out the facts of what they're talking about. I
---
TheTygerfire is the love of my life.
I love DLC :) Story>gameplay>>>graphics.
#10Evel138Posted 8/16/2013 1:51:35 PM
It all has to do with the mental disorder of being a fan(boy).

Especially in this culture, you have many that have never had a personal accomplishment. Instead, they adopt an external thing as part of their personal identity. For some, it's a sports team....for others a video game console (or brand thereof). So if if their team or console accomplishes something or "wins".....then by extension, they "win".

It's a neurotic attachment.

It's the reason 99.9999% of those that will never see a dividend from any of these companies, sit around and wax sales numbers ad nauseum.....it's like the score card of their favorite team....and the insult are just like trash talk at the stadium.
---
GT/PSN: Evel138 Lucky Number
http://fav.me/d6gbf9y