X1 can regulate power to prevent overheating

#11LOLKNlCKSPosted 8/18/2013 7:18:13 PM
Bumping this just to spite the people who call it 'misinformation' that the Xbone cuts down on game performance to stop it from overheating. Those overheating issues are real.
---
http://i.imgur.com/rQ4Qyli.jpg
Not changing this sig until Harden and D12 hold the nba title high in the sky!1!!
#12Orange_ApplesPosted 8/18/2013 7:25:57 PM
so low in fact that it can [be] in a mode that uses virtually no air flow."

I'm sorry, What does that mean? They're talking about reducing heating and one of the points they make is that if the system gets too hot it will dial back the power and can dial the power down to a point where it doesn't need a fan.

If the system can operate without the fans, why don't they start there and activate the fans when the console is starting to heat up?
---
PC + Nintendo
Winning combination in the late 80s, winning combination in the 90s, winning combination today.
#13Cyber Akuma ZeroPosted 8/18/2013 10:26:38 PM(edited)
This is like saying "The new GTX 780 3D card can display the colors red, blue, and green"

Dynamically regulating the voltage and clock speed of processors has been a common feature in practically everything for years.

This is like when Apple claimed that instead of having a separate USB 2.0 and 3.0 port in their new mac, they just have both in one.... and people actually cheered for them. USB 3.0 is already backwards-compatible with 2.0, all they did was REMOVE A USB PORT and people cheered them for it.

This, this thing, that people keep reposing as if it's some groundbreaking new "feature", is just like what Apple did with the USB port.

In fact, here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06MYYB9bl70

The Pentium 3 has been around since 1999, the original Xbox's CPU was BASED on it. Notice that it can freeze itself to prevent overheating, and the Pentium 4 that came out in 2000 could down-clock itself so the system wouldn't even freeze.

Those CPUs are practically ANCIENT. I was running a P3 system a few months ago on XP, the thing couldn't even play youtube and lagged unusably scrolling down Facebook!

I would certainly hope all the current handhelds and consoles are capable of a feature that became standard over two decades ago in processors.
---
"A train station is where a train stops. A bus station is where a bus stops. On my desk I have a workstation." - William Faulkner
Gamertag in profile
#14jakethenoobPosted 8/18/2013 10:16:55 PM
"Regulate power" is just a better way of saying "downclocking the CPU so the whole motherboard doesn't melt".
---
Game collection: http://postimage.org/gallery/1tqkmeku/
#15Top_BlokePosted 8/18/2013 11:12:55 PM
Cyber Akuma Zero posted...
This is like saying "The new GTX 780 3D card can display the colors red, blue, and green"

Dynamically regulating the voltage and clock speed of processors has been a common feature in practically everything for years.

This is like when Apple claimed that instead of having a separate USB 2.0 and 3.0 port in their new mac, they just have both in one.... and people actually cheered for them. USB 3.0 is already backwards-compatible with 2.0, all they did was REMOVE A USB PORT and people cheered them for it.

This, this thing, that people keep reposing as if it's some groundbreaking new "feature", is just like what Apple did with the USB port.

In fact, here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06MYYB9bl70

The Pentium 3 has been around since 1999, the original Xbox's CPU was BASED on it. Notice that it can freeze itself to prevent overheating, and the Pentium 4 that came out in 2000 could down-clock itself so the system wouldn't even freeze.

Those CPUs are practically ANCIENT. I was running a P3 system a few months ago on XP, the thing couldn't even play youtube and lagged unusably scrolling down Facebook!

I would certainly hope all the current handhelds and consoles are capable of a feature that became standard over two decades ago in processors.

By the same token you get some people *cough* LOLKNICKS *cough* who like to point out that somehow it's making the console worse.

People who actually know the dynamics of a computers interior (like yourself), know this is nothing special, but it is good that they're obviously making sure the RROD is not an issue this time around.
#16Pixx0Posted 8/19/2013 12:41:08 AM
Yeah TC, because powering down an already weak hardware will lead to incredible gaming performances.

Tech isn't your forte right?
---
You are ignoring XXX message(s) from users on this page. Manage your list here.
#17Top_BlokePosted 8/19/2013 12:47:43 AM
Pixx0 posted...
Yeah TC, because powering down an already weak hardware will lead to incredible gaming performances.

Not to sure where he said it will "lead to incredible gaming performances".

Comprehension isn't your forte right?
#18Pixx0Posted 8/19/2013 12:52:54 AM
Top_Bloke posted...
Pixx0 posted...

It's ok, people like you certainly enjoy their gaming experience to be limited by some limited hardware that can limit itself even more to avoid system failure.

Laughable. Do yourself a favor, check your own grey cells rather than mine.
---
You are ignoring XXX message(s) from users on this page. Manage your list here.
#19Top_BlokePosted 8/19/2013 12:59:17 AM
Pixx0 posted...
Top_Bloke posted...
Pixx0 posted...

It's ok, people like you certainly enjoy their gaming experience to be limited by some limited hardware that can limit itself even more to avoid system failure.

Laughable. Do yourself a favor, check your own grey cells rather than mine.

Well I tend to own all consoles, and I still play a lot of older games - I never tire of another Chrono Trigger play-through and indie games hardly consume a lot of processing power.

I'll get a PS4 when devs take advantage of it's power.

I just didn't want you to falsely accuse the TC of something he didn't say.