Insider extraordinaire CBOAT drops some bombs about next gen on NeoGAF

#41GundamBansheeFAPosted 8/18/2013 7:41:24 PM
I don't know whats worse the trolls on gamefaqs or the trolls that listen to trolls on neogaf. Just stop...
#42Draconas_LyrrPosted 8/18/2013 7:59:15 PM
BoxTheMuppet posted...
A confirmed x1 developer on reddit posted this in response.
(Gfaqs doesn't allow reddit links to be posted)

Personally, I don't think this person works at Microsoft based on things he has said so far, I feel like most of the time he is over-simplifying things. I'm going to give my take on what he's "revealed" this time.
1) This entire point is vague. Not sure what he is referring to when he says our architecture isn't ready. If he is saying our architectural design isn't finalized, that is completely wrong. I'm going to assume he means certain features aren't fully ready to be shown, which is true. That being said, I don't see how this has anything to do with Microsoft not streaming Gamescom. Perhaps he meant because some of our features are not yet ready, the overall experience will be so terrible, streaming the conference would show how badly our console runs. Well, we will have 100+ playable consoles at Gamescom. Clearly not the case. The official word has always been Xbox One will launch in November.
To say that our latest July/August DurangoXDK (I assume this is what he meant by SDK) dropped performance by 15-20% across the board, this would mean I as well as a lot of people seriously screwed up somewhere, and I should be freaking out right now. Last time I checked the perf tests, they are on an upwards trend.
2) There are no yield issues I have heard of from my leads, their leads, or our executives. What was told company wide is we will sell 100% of our production inventory on launch based on pre-order numbers. Every console we make until launch will need to go out the door. There is the possibility of our executives simply not revealing the yield issues to us because they don't want to hurt morale. I doubt this is the case.
Points 3, 4, and 5 I have no idea.
6) This isn't news. Marc Whitten has publicly said that the every console will be a dev kit functionality will not be ready at launch and added at a later date. More info will be shown at Gamescom.
7) Not news again, the same day Marc Whitten revealed the Kinect does not have to be plugged in, we confirmed there will not be a Kinect-less Xbox One at launch.
On the possibility of this happening March/April 2014, I have no idea. But to say the Xbox One's launch numbers will be a fallout is unfounded.

I'm not agreeing with either one of them, but you realize that could all be PR speak, right?
---
PSN: Draconas_Lyrr
Difference between "a" and "an": "a" comes before consonant sounds, "an" before vowel sounds.
#43Pale HorsemanPosted 8/18/2013 8:14:13 PM
Usually "insiders" who are more wrong than right get banned from NeoGaf... so we will see what happens come this Tuesday I guess.
---
BreadGolem: We never killed Native Americans, they got sick!
#44SirLemontPosted 8/18/2013 8:17:36 PM
Ramsus082 posted...
Clearly the XboxOne could use some more time in the oven. Was there any doubt that this thing is being pushed out by Microsoft?

Bulky, yet under-powered. Throttling game performance with a heat sensor. Half-baked Forza launch, a first-party title. Last second updates to a major component. Weekly policy revisions. Launch markets cut by over a third. Mandatory Kinect with absolutely NO killer-app.

This is being rushed. People here can bicker over the formerly-credible insider all they want, but did you seriously need some one else to tell you what's plain as day?

Needs. More. Time.

This so much. Even without that "insider info", there are too many red flags surrounding the X1. Unfortunately, no one will know how bad the system will perform (or not, it could run fine) until it actually enter people's homes. Any failures whatsoever during the launch period and the Xbox brand is DEAD.
#45LOLKNlCKSPosted 8/18/2013 8:51:05 PM
georgewduff1 posted...
LOLKNlCKS posted...
How sad that the xbox one's overheating issues gave forced Microsoft to have to pack in a heat sensor that will cut down the performance of your games to reduce the heat. We knew they were having hardware problems but they can't even keep the temperature down? That's disappointing.

If cboat is correct, everyone will have to bury the xbone.

blablabla misinformation.....ignore list....

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/xbox-one-knows-overheating-adjusts-accordingly-200944353.html

According to del Castillo, the Xbox One will be self-aware of its temperature. As it starts to heat up, the fan will kick into high gear to attempt to cool it down. If that doesn't work, the device will cycle down its power usage to cool itself off. Of course, that will reduce the Xbox One's performance, but it also will reduce chances of needing to replace the hardware.

YOU MAD? 100% fact, kid.
---
http://i.imgur.com/rQ4Qyli.jpg
Not changing this sig until Harden and D12 hold the nba title high in the sky!1!!
#46ElPolloDiablo87Posted 8/18/2013 9:00:14 PM
LOLKNlCKS posted...
georgewduff1 posted...
LOLKNlCKS posted...
How sad that the xbox one's overheating issues gave forced Microsoft to have to pack in a heat sensor that will cut down the performance of your games to reduce the heat. We knew they were having hardware problems but they can't even keep the temperature down? That's disappointing.

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/xbox-one-knows-overheating-adjusts-accordingly-200944353.html

According to del Castillo, the Xbox One will be self-aware of its temperature. As it starts to heat up, the fan will kick into high gear to attempt to cool it down. If that doesn't work, the device will cycle down its power usage to cool itself off. Of course, that will reduce the Xbox One's performance, but it also will reduce chances of needing to replace the hardware.

YOU MAD? 100% fact, kid.

If you read the actual interview, you'll find the feature is a fail-safe to prevent console misuse from killing the console. Castillo also never says anything about reduced performance.

http://gizmodo.com/the-xbox-one-can-tell-when-its-overheating-and-power-1122442616
---
Madre de Dios, es El Pollo Diablo!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E28WrhpTzQA
#47Top_BlokePosted 8/18/2013 9:17:51 PM
LOLKNlCKS posted...
georgewduff1 posted...
LOLKNlCKS posted...

YOU MAD? 100% fact, kid.

I think you'll need to do a bit more research - like reading the actual interview to find your answer.

A lot is speculation, but under normal circumstances the console will not have any need to down-clock.

This is a fail safe, used on PC's to prevent components melting or malfunctioning.

I'd reserve judgement until more is known.

Btw, saying U Mad bro is a bit childish when trying to mock someone for being a kid...
#48FoppePosted 8/18/2013 10:03:44 PM
Pale Horseman posted...
Usually "insiders" who are more wrong than right get banned from NeoGaf... so we will see what happens come this Tuesday I guess.

Usually, yes.
Cboat is the exception.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#49Ramsus082Posted 8/18/2013 10:32:11 PM
A failsafe isn't a feature. PC motherboards and PSUs need this because they're components of an open platform that need to be able to support a massive range of other hardware that have their own power requirements, all different. Not to mention being able to accommodate overclocking and power changes on the user end. There has to be some failsafe or people everywhere would be frying their PCs and their homes.

Consoles are closed platforms. The components are the same in every box shipped. The hardware will never change, the OS is locked and can't have speeds or voltage changed by the user or even the developer, and while different games and apps will tax the hardware differently, the limits are set by the manufacturer. In this case, Microsoft.

The XboxOne has a heat sensor either because it needs to have one, or because Microsoft knows they can't afford the Xbox brand taking yet another bullet to the gut with a new round of unacceptable hardware failures and need to give consumers reason to be confident that it won't fail. Or at least be less skeptical. Either way, it's not ''good''. It's better than having a $500 door-stopper on your hands, but if we're really choosing between power throttling and performance degradation or a dead console, we're really making some pretty crappy excuses on behalf of a company that hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt.
#50NeoMonkPosted 8/19/2013 12:16:27 AM
Good Info TC not surprised that the first few comments are the same old boring xbox white knights of these forums defending with no proof... At least the guy puts his name out there... these people just shill to defend the flag LOL
---
"The Xbox One board isn't the place for personal anecdotes, joke topics or fanboy affair." Gamefaqs Moderator