Is it odd that Microsoft has to buy their way to victory?

#1MilesTeg420Posted 8/20/2013 9:04:56 PM
I was just thinking, Microsoft seems to give money to many third party for exclusive games, features, and timed exclusivity. Why do you think this is? If you had a great platform, 3rd party should be approaching you about getting their game on it, you wouldn't have to pay them to do it.

Just odd because I figure if you have a great product, you shouldn't need to pay to "get things first". If you were confident in your product you wouldn't need to hand out cash like crazy. Just seems desperate is all.
#2Decimator11Posted 8/20/2013 9:06:03 PM
So acquiring content to help make your product more appealing is a bad thing now?
---
http://i.imgur.com/qwW6T.jpg
#3vgsrulePosted 8/20/2013 9:06:15 PM
It doesn't seem that weird to me.
---
http://backloggery.com/khff123
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/A_Metal_Pipe
#4SunDevil77Posted 8/20/2013 9:06:55 PM
Every company has to "buy" their way.

You know the old expression; you have to spend money to make money. Sony and Nintendo pay their first party studios just as Microsoft pays third.
---
The average lifespan of a raccoon is ~5 years.
3DS FC: 0748 2141 3539
#5pigman2003Posted 8/20/2013 9:07:00 PM
You think Sony doesn't pay for things like timed exclusivity?

Companies pay for features to make their console attractive.
#6Millertime660Posted 8/20/2013 9:07:44 PM
MilesTeg420 posted...
I was just thinking, Microsoft seems to give money to many third party for exclusive games, features, and timed exclusivity. Why do you think this is? If you had a great platform, 3rd party should be approaching you about getting their game on it, you wouldn't have to pay them to do it.

Just odd because I figure if you have a great product, you shouldn't need to pay to "get things first". If you were confident in your product you wouldn't need to hand out cash like crazy. Just seems desperate is all.

You must not know much about buisness then huh?
#7crucialPosted 8/20/2013 9:09:35 PM
Thats why I always choose my console based on how much the company is going to spend,growing up Nin spent the most and killed it then jumped ship and went to Sony's PS1 and PS2 because they spent mass amounts of money getting exclusives over Nin and Sega,then jumped to the 360 and X1 because MS is going to buy there way to having the best game's,this only helps the gamer's,that is what we want more games,more exclusives.
#8drfirepantsPosted 8/20/2013 9:09:41 PM
So i guess ubisoft just gave that exclusive content for watchdogs to sony for free.
#9Hucast9Posted 8/20/2013 9:16:13 PM
They are using a lot of money for the Xbox One, but I don't see it as them trying to buy their way to victory. That would imply that they resort to that in order to compensate for a bad system. The system is not bad. It's good.

I see it more like they're putting effort into the console's success. They're trying to make it into a great console by using money to buy 300,000 servers, exclusives, and more. They're also trying to please the majority by reversing some of their decisions (which they have every right to do before the console launches).
#10PsychoGatesPosted 8/20/2013 9:16:54 PM
It really makes me wonder if all these fanboys in here are just children who dont understand how the real world works

all this talk about how horrible MS is for being "greedy" and only being about money, and having to "purchase" their way to victory...