Some Xbox One UI impressions

#51bob15xPosted 8/21/2013 9:02:29 PM
Raycon posted...
bob15x posted...
patrick005 posted...
I'll join the group that says that the XBO UI looks fine. Nothing ground breaking, nothing really broken either. I would probably use Kinect to navigate through the dashboard much more than before however.

Oh, and people who complain about advertisements, need to step away from the one thing that is absolutely littered with ads, the internet (that includes Gamefaqs). If ads distract you too much, then you might want to look into the possibility that you might have ADHD.

SunDevil77 posted...
Enclave posted...
I'm having terrible flashbacks now to the Metro interface when I first booted up my new laptop. Oh how I tried to get used to Windows 8, but I just couldn't do it. After 2 months of trying to like it I relented. I formatted and put Linux and Windows 7 on it. So much happier now.

Don't know why Microsoft is pushing Metro so much when it's near universally hated.

It is awful for PC, but it works just fine for mobile and consoles. It looks really nice, too.

Windows 8 for PC is fine, once you have it automatically boot into desktop mode, and completely ignore the "modern UI." :-D

It's also pointless to get Windows 8 if you don't have a touch screen, as it's just horrible to use with a mouse when it's clearly designed with touch in mind.

Ah Microsoft. Trying to be progressive in a world that doesn't want change.

that is complete BS. It is extremely easy with a mouse. And you do not need a touch screen, that is an outright lie.

Just because some people don't find the Window 8 UI intuitive doesn't make them liars...

who said anything about intuitive, its about the mouse. 95% of the time you are on the old dashboard which is pretty much exactly like windows 7, the other time is on metro screen with really big tiles or shortcuts that are pretty hard to miss, its actually a lot easier to use the mouse, even if you were drunk it woudl be hard to miss the tiles.

that must need touchscreen and hard with mouse is just bs, and most likely told by people that have never used it. Ya its so hard to move the mouse over a 2 inch by 1 once square and click.
#52Masterchief5525Posted 8/21/2013 9:29:08 PM
I died at laughter at one comment it went "Xbox, open the pod bay doors."
#53RayconPosted 8/21/2013 9:33:14 PM
bob15x posted...
Raycon posted...
bob15x posted...

that is complete BS. It is extremely easy with a mouse. And you do not need a touch screen, that is an outright lie.

Just because some people don't find the Window 8 UI intuitive doesn't make them liars...

who said anything about intuitive, its about the mouse. 95% of the time you are on the old dashboard which is pretty much exactly like windows 7, the other time is on metro screen with really big tiles or shortcuts that are pretty hard to miss, its actually a lot easier to use the mouse, even if you were drunk it woudl be hard to miss the tiles.

that must need touchscreen and hard with mouse is just bs, and most likely told by people that have never used it. Ya its so hard to move the mouse over a 2 inch by 1 once square and click.

The problem isn't "missing" tiles, it's having to scroll across the board just to find what you want. The Windows 7 desktop is fine, it's the "Metro" setup that's a pain with a mouse. When you can scroll with a swipe of your hand (on a touchpad) that makes a lot of sense. But on a PC? It's just frustrating.

Maybe you see that differently, but enough people have brought it up that I feel it's a very valid concern.
---
I must have looked a fool playing with a backwards DS, teary eyed solving a Sudoku puzzle -Lordx718
#54bob15xPosted 8/22/2013 5:32:42 AM
Raycon posted...
bob15x posted...
Raycon posted...
bob15x posted...

The problem isn't "missing" tiles, it's having to scroll across the board just to find what you want. The Windows 7 desktop is fine, it's the "Metro" setup that's a pain with a mouse. When you can scroll with a swipe of your hand (on a touchpad) that makes a lot of sense. But on a PC? It's just frustrating.

Maybe you see that differently, but enough people have brought it up that I feel it's a very valid concern.

so you are saying scrolling down on the mouse wheel to scroll across metro is difficult lol.

there are a few parts where the mouse is a hinderance, multi tasking on metro and some settings when on metro. But this is used maybe 2% of the time because you are in desktop most times and all the settings are there.

thing is, people take that 2% and start there, omg its completely useless, you cant do anything, you have to have a touch screen.

that is why I call BS. People take a part that is annoying and is minor and blow it up into this huge mess. They do that for eveyrthing.

Omg there is this little Ad at in one square on the screen, omg the dashboard is littered with ads.

people need to stop that crap because you are not going to get the real problems fixed when people keep acting like the sky is falling when there is a small hindrance.
#55TinyTim123Posted 8/22/2013 9:32:46 AM
bob15x posted...
so you are saying scrolling down on the mouse wheel to scroll across metro is difficult lol.

there are a few parts where the mouse is a hinderance, multi tasking on metro and some settings when on metro. But this is used maybe 2% of the time because you are in desktop most times and all the settings are there.

thing is, people take that 2% and start there, omg its completely useless, you cant do anything, you have to have a touch screen.

that is why I call BS. People take a part that is annoying and is minor and blow it up into this huge mess. They do that for eveyrthing.

Omg there is this little Ad at in one square on the screen, omg the dashboard is littered with ads.

people need to stop that crap because you are not going to get the real problems fixed when people keep acting like the sky is falling when there is a small hindrance.

On a laptop, scrolling on a mouse wheel is impossible. Because, you know, no mouse wheel. That is where I do most of my work. Further, their desktop no longer has a Programs subsection in the start menu, and for me, that is what is incredibly annoying.
I am using a Windows 7 machine right now, and my desktop is blank. I do everything from the start menu, because I know how, and it's my machine.

Is it really so much to ask that everything be how I want it on my computer?

That aside, it doesn't look problematic to me on the XBox interface... yet.
---
http://www.explosm.net/comics/657/
#56axelfooley2k5Posted 8/22/2013 9:44:38 AM(edited)
sworder posted...
-_-

windows 8 on the big screen, real creative

and I actually don't like W8, sticking with W7 for a long time

used it for the first time 3 weeks ago

what a piece of crap...touch touch touch
---
Kramerica Industries
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icDXNHF-oEw
#57Exodus_PrimePosted 8/22/2013 2:07:19 PM
It looks smooth can't wait to try it out.
---
Xbox One and PlayStation 4
Because I can buy both.
#58JKSonicPosted 8/23/2013 7:35:45 AM
ImThe8thWonder posted...
JKSonic posted...
Funny thing is you're simply not the target for them anymore. They want people to at least give it a shot, and quite frankly people who bash something without even trying it don't really get any respect at all from me...or probably MS.

I'm not here to earn your respect, I couldn't care less I'm afraid. And I don't care what MS wants. They're just trying to make money, after all. What do you expect the kinect to do? a ****ing backflip or something? It's a motion peripheral and voice commands. Both of which, have existed in the gaming world for a while now. I'm not deny some completely new piece of innovation, I'm denying a device that will probably do exactly what I'm expecting it will, and those expectations do not impress me.

Even if the kinect 2 is 100% accurate at reading your gestures or your voice commands, I don't want to do either. Kinect 2 is just some after idea they forcibly threw into the console design to give it some luster, otherwise the XB1 would have been too generic.

Raycon posted...
Kind of the position Window 8 is in right now. It's just awful on anything that doesn't have a touch screen (PC/laptop). They should really find a more "universal" interface, cause as Windows 8 stands, it's not best on EVERY device, no matter how much MS wants us to think it is.

MS apparently has a tough time noticing that the average core consumer is more interested in familiar modes of interaction than new, gimmicky ones.

CLEARLY you do care or you wouldn't be here posting about it...
---
https://www.facebook.com/AbstractedRealism (pinup and boudoir)
https://www.facebook.com/KulhaPhotography (families, scenery, etc)