Microsoft confirms the DRM will be patched in again.

#81DeadLock25Posted 8/23/2013 6:16:07 AM(edited)
ironbru posted...
DeadLock25 posted...
ironbru posted...
Decimator11 posted...
Ozmose posted...
Everyone should know damn well they're going to put DRM back in, probably sometime after the holidays, after the bulk of their sales have already been made.
My roommate has been a diehard Xbox fanboy for years, the DRM thing is one of the reasons he's jumping ship.
I stuck with Sony through the last gen because I didn't want to pay for Live. Now that Sony is charging for online, I'm not happy, but I'll stay with them anyways. From my experience, if Sony is bilking money out of me 1 or 2 different ways, MS always seems to find 3 or 4. I just never found them to be a very honest company.
I hope this generation does, in fact, humble them a bit. I guess we'll see in the next year or so.

I question the intelligence level of anyone who actually thinks they're going to put the DRM back in after specifically selling the console without it. Do you really think people are just going to go "Eh, whatever bro"? No. The backlash would be even worse than before, and they'd lose every piece of goodwill they gained back.

Microsoft is not Snidely Whiplash, twirling their collective mustaches while hatching new plots to destroy gaming as we know it. They are a company that tried something they thought their customers might like, got smashed with negative feedback, and relented.

But Microsoft are not specifically selling the console without the DRM. The DRM will only be removed once you download a patch after the console has been sold. Technically they could decide to not release the patch afterall and have no legal issues at all since the console will be sold with DRM in the first place.

No it wont because the day one patch has nothing to do with DRM making your whole point moot. So yes, they are selling it without DRM.

How does a patch that removes the DRM from the console have nothing to do with DRM and make my point moot?

I don't care if Microsoft says a day one patch was going to happen even if they weren't going to remove the DRM originally.

The fact is the patch will also be removing the DRM as well as doing what it was originally intended to do.

Without the patch the console will still have the DRM it will be sold with no matter how much you deny it.

THE PATCH DOES NOT REMOVE DRM. That is why it has nothing to do with it. Furthermore it is not a patch according to MS, its a finalization of the software.

http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-drm-reversal-cuts-features-requires-one-time-514419715

UPDATE: Microsoft clarifies that the planned day-one Xbox One update, which Whitten told me, will "complete some of the software that won’t be there," is actually not a result of today's DRM policy change. Rather, it was always planned and will simply be required for playing off-line, among other things. Not a patch, they say. But, yes, your new Xbox console would have to connect online once in order to do the things Microsoft described today. And then you can keep it offline and play games without re-connecting to the Internet forever.

I provided you a source saying that the patch was going to be there and is not the result of the DRM change, yet you somehow whole halfhearted claim that the patch WILL remove DRM and perform its original function without so much as a source. So yeah, lets just bypass fact and take what you THINK will happen as the truth...
---
GT: DeadLock25
#82ElPolloDiablo87Posted 8/23/2013 6:17:54 AM
Awesome. To me this is would be the best of both worlds. Physical games could stay exactly as they are and digital games could require a periodic internet connection and therefore have family sharing and the rumored digital trade-in marketplace.
---
Madre de Dios, es El Pollo Diablo!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E28WrhpTzQA
#83TheArcadePosted 8/23/2013 6:31:03 AM
embrandedone posted...
I was gonna post the exact same thing but you beat me to it. Thumbs up, soldier.

Rot with your restriction microtranscation box, thralls.

Do your job! Superior Tech! FINAL JUSTICE!
---
Greatest Shows of All Time.
Avatar: The Last Airbender, SWAT Kats, Sailor Moon, Tetsuwan Atom 2K3, Transformers, Spiderfriends
#84ironbruPosted 8/23/2013 6:34:49 AM
DeadLock25 it clearly states that the patch is required to be able to play games offline, how the hell is that not removing the DRM? Having to be online to play any game was the DRM!

I also don't understand why they don't say it's a patch, what there describing if the definition of a patch...
---
Current Playing: USA import of Tales Of Legendia (PS2).
#85Shinobi120Posted 8/27/2013 9:42:34 PM(edited)
ECOsvaldo posted...
MicroShaft will bring back DRM, and anyone who doesn't think that has a rock for a brain! Why? They're going to do whatever it takes to please their investors and the big eye on Capital Hill instead of "listening" to their customers. No company or corporation ever cares about the consumer ANYMORE!

It's now all about:

- How many dollar signs they're going to earn next quarter
- How big of a bonus the higher ups will get at the end of the year
- How many people to lay off in order for the higher ups to "earn" that big bonus
- How much of a profit each of their product will make by raising the selling price
- Which politician/public figure are they going to buy off next
- Who to bribe in order to get certain laws/creeds passed in favor for the company/corporation

That's why every country in the world is being run by all the corporations, not by their own government! This world is getting messed up more and more everyday I'll tell you that much!

This. They've spent millions upon millions implementing this kind of infrastructure inside of the console. No way are they going to completely abandon it.

Anyone who seriously thought for a second that Microsoft wouldn't re-implement DRM back inside the console in the near future are either very gullible, or just had a ton of bricks dropped on their heads.
#86Millertime660Posted 8/27/2013 9:43:51 PM
weve got a bunch of game industry savants in here huh? We wont know anything till it actually happens. Calm down.
#87Kungfu KenobiPosted 8/27/2013 9:43:56 PM
Shinobi120 posted...
ECOsvaldo posted...
MicroShaft will bring back DRM, and anyone who doesn't think that has a rock for a brain! Why? They're going to do whatever it takes to please their investors and the big eye on Capital Hill instead of "listening" to their customers. No company or corporation ever cares about the consumer ANYMORE!

It's now all about:

- How many dollar signs they're going to earn next quarter
- How big of a bonus the higher ups will get at the end of the year
- How many people to lay off in order for the higher ups to "earn" that big bonus
- How much of a profit each of their product will make by raising the selling price
- Which politician/public figure are they going to buy off next
- Who to bribe in order to get certain laws/creeds passed in favor for the company/corporation

That's why every country in the world is being run by all the corporations, not by their own government! This world is getting messed up more and more everyday I'll tell you that much!

This. They've spent millions upon millions implementing this kind of infrastructure inside of the console. No way are they going to completely abandon it.

Anyone who seriously thought for a second that Microsoft wouldn't re-implement DRM back inside the console in the near future are either very gullible, or just had a ton of bricks dropped on their heads.

Totally. This is one of the reasons XB1 can't be a day-one purchase for me. I need to see how this plays out in practice.
---
Check out www.axemurderingworms.com . And remember kids: Sound isn't music, Books aren't stories, This is not a pipe, and The medium is the message.
#88PudgeisafishPosted 8/27/2013 9:46:39 PM
TheArcade posted...
embrandedone posted...
I was gonna post the exact same thing but you beat me to it. Thumbs up, soldier.

Rot with your restriction microtranscation box, thralls.

Do your job! Superior Tech! FINAL JUSTICE!

Spider swing! Repulser blast! STARS & STRIPES!
#89DeadLock25Posted 8/27/2013 9:47:44 PM
ironbru posted...
DeadLock25 it clearly states that the patch is required to be able to play games offline, how the hell is that not removing the DRM? Having to be online to play any game was the DRM!

I also don't understand why they don't say it's a patch, what there describing if the definition of a patch...

The patch is required to play anything on the console, I guess it installs the operating system as well right? To operate the console in its fully functional state requires the patch, not just to play the games offline. How in the hell does a patch that was always there to begin with now magically does something else?

To put it simply.

DRM in place, day one patch.
DRM not in place, day one patch.

How does it follow that an existing patch has now attained the function of removing the DRM simply on the basis that the DRM is removed? It is a possibility, but one lacking any supportive evidence, contrary to the other logical conclusion as indicated by the article I posted, that being that the patch that was always there is not related in any way to DRM and the console simply ships without it.

Because the patch is required for the console to function, you can say that every piece of software comes on the console, or you can say that the patch that was always there is simply putting on finishing touches, and the DRM is removed prior to this event. The latter seems to be the more likely possibility.
---
GT: DeadLock25
#90Millertime660Posted 8/27/2013 9:50:08 PM
well said deadlock!