Are these next gen consoles going to have native 1080p?

#1Rome218Posted 8/23/2013 8:32:12 PM
I read about BF4. What games do we know for certain is native 1080p? How about Ryse?

I have a 50 inch 1080p plasma and I have been wanting native 1080p for a while. I am so content with the games still coming out on 360(especially GTA5 on line), that I am wondering if it is worth it to get a next gen console over a gaming PC.

I am not a fan of using mouse and keyboard since going with the MS controller. I know a lot of games that are cross platform works well with the 360 controller, but there are games I like that are not.(Torchlight 2. Strangely, I always felt dungeon crawlers are best suited with a controller, but they remain most popular on PC where everything is a click fest with hotkeys.)
#2NewMoonShadowPosted 8/23/2013 8:41:02 PM
If you can afford a really good high-quality gaming PC you're definitely better off with that, regardless of what resolution the next-gen consoles run at. It will be capable of running at higher framerates at equal, if not higher resolutions.
#3FoppePosted 8/23/2013 9:56:08 PM
Are the nextgen consoles powerful enough to have native 1080p titles?
Yes.
Are the currentgen consoles powerful enough to have native 1080p titles?
Yes.
Will we see more native 1080p titles this generation?
Yes.
When a game is being developed for a closed hardware, the developers will always ask this question: "What will we use the power for? Will we aim for native 1080p with less stuff on the screen and lower textures, or do we aim for native 720p with more stuff on the screen and maybe better textures?".
I'm pretty sure that Capcom could make Dead Rising 3 a native 1080p title if they made the game uglier and with less zombies on the screen, maybe with added loading times.
The question is, do you really want that?
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#4Fray_MakenPosted 8/23/2013 10:10:10 PM
Forza 5 confirmed to be native 1080p @ 60 FPS.

There's a thread about it over at GAF, but probably not on the first page anymore.
#5Rome218(Topic Creator)Posted 8/24/2013 12:54:15 AM
Foppe posted...
Are the nextgen consoles powerful enough to have native 1080p titles?
Yes.
Are the currentgen consoles powerful enough to have native 1080p titles?
Yes.
Will we see more native 1080p titles this generation?
Yes.
When a game is being developed for a closed hardware, the developers will always ask this question: "What will we use the power for? Will we aim for native 1080p with less stuff on the screen and lower textures, or do we aim for native 720p with more stuff on the screen and maybe better textures?".
I'm pretty sure that Capcom could make Dead Rising 3 a native 1080p title if they made the game uglier and with less zombies on the screen, maybe with added loading times.
The question is, do you really want that?

I guess the answer would be no, but in an ideal world I would love to have both. I have had an interest in PC gaming for a while, as I know this current gen upscales games.

However, graphics are not everything. I canceled out on an alienware x51 with the 670 card in it. It looks like a console, but the thing is.. I do not want to worry about driver updates and stuff.

I am comfortable just having the game to play, and keeping this simple as my hobby. I am a busy person. Unlike a lot of people, Crysis 3 has become one of my favorite single player FPS games.(Hugh step up from 2 with the bow, enemies not shooting at you from every direction when you are not cloacked for a moment, and not slowing to a crawl when your out of nanosuit energy.)

The game looks great to me, but I always want to see it in it's 1080p glory. I've come to the fact that it is not worth it. It still looks fantastic on 360, and I am playing the same game. Graphics are always second to gameplay, and that is probably why I own a large library of arcade games. Probably over 100.

I just like the system to be made for simplicity when in comes to gaming, and things just work without me running a program like fraps to see how many fps I'm getting, or messing around with graphic settings.

So consoles are what I will stick with. At times I really do want to see what a demanding 1080p game can do on my television, as I did invest a lot in it. Overall, gameplay over graphics. I am not sure how I feel about this gen, as there are still games I really want to play this gen. Diablo 3 is a big one, and I KNOW GTA's online is going to take a great deal of my time. I am still an active player on Max Payne 3's online, and I love the single player. I feel more comfortable with a controller for shooters now, as opposed to when I was a PC gamer in 2004-2007.
#6656stoogePosted 8/24/2013 1:06:41 AM
What Foppe said.

1080p will be treated the same way as 60 FPS. Some games will use it, but when given the option between a more detailed looking 720p game and a less detailed but crisper 1080p game, I'm betting most devs will go with the former.
---
For want of the price of tea and a slice, the old man died.