A legitimate concern about the lack of backwards compatibility

#1no1oblivionfanPosted 8/24/2013 10:30:13 AM
From a business point I can understand why both Sony and Microsoft chose not to incorporate backwards compatibility into their systems. But there is one problem for the owners of all the Xbox 360s up to the 'slim'.

The 360 will inevitably fail (RROD), and by fail I don't mean 20 years down the line. Chances are if you still own the original Xbox 360 then it's days are numbered. And even though the fail rate chance became lower and lower as models improved on it still doesn't fix the problem that it WILL break. All Xboxes have a chance of RRODing except for the slim. And when they break what are you going to do then?

Personally I've been through 4 original Xbox 360s, and I have the elite now which seemed to slow down the process but I think I'll be pretty p***** when it fails and will be unable to play all my games without shelling out $150-250+ for a new one.

Unless the latest firmware fixed the RROD for the rest of the Xboxes then it is indeed a concern.
---
Steam: An_Orang3e
GT: DanDan4000
#2METALINGUS5150Posted 8/24/2013 10:31:44 AM
That's how they would get you to buy another 360 or PS3 for that matter.
#3RayconPosted 8/24/2013 10:33:42 AM
I would argue that's true just about any console, not just a 360, which is why I'm such a huge proponent of BC. The distinct lack of it this gen is very upsetting.

= (
---
I must have looked a fool playing with a backwards DS, teary eyed solving a Sudoku puzzle -Lordx718
#4RollnThunder213Posted 8/24/2013 10:36:30 AM
Any piece of hardware 20 years down the line has a risk of failing. It just comes with the territory.

Wait until you can buy a new slim for $100 and pack it away for when the one you have now goes kaput.
---
"No control beyond these skies"
GT: RollnThunder213
#5no1oblivionfan(Topic Creator)Posted 8/24/2013 10:37:06 AM
Raycon posted...
I would argue that's true just about any console, not just a 360, which is why I'm such a huge proponent of BC. The distinct lack of it this gen is very upsetting.

= (

Any console will break eventually with age, not with inevitable hardware malfunction however.

How many of you can honestly say you will have your Xbox working 27 years down the line like I have with my NES?
---
Steam: An_Orang3e
GT: DanDan4000
#6A_Nonny_MoosePosted 8/24/2013 10:37:53 AM
You'll be able to emulate 360 games on smartphones by the time availability becomes a real issue.
---
http://i.imgur.com/QB2km.png
#7MasterSword546Posted 8/24/2013 10:40:18 AM
RollnThunder213 posted...
Any piece of hardware 20 years down the line has a risk of failing. It just comes with the territory.

Wait until you can buy a new slim for $100 and pack it away for when the one you have now goes kaput.

Funny. I still have my working Nintendo, SNES, Sega genesis, game boy and quite a few others that well over 20 years old. It does not always "come with the territory."
---
I'm going to marry Taylor Swift one day <3
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8pc2f7m0W1rzv84ho2_500.gif
#8RayconPosted 8/24/2013 10:41:42 AM
A_Nonny_Moose posted...
You'll be able to emulate 360 games on smartphones by the time availability becomes a real issue.

Some of us would like to have a legal alternative available. = (

Nothing against emulation, but it's usually a last resort.
---
I must have looked a fool playing with a backwards DS, teary eyed solving a Sudoku puzzle -Lordx718
#9ILikesCheesePosted 8/24/2013 10:45:17 AM
MasterSword546 posted...
RollnThunder213 posted...

Funny. I still have my working Nintendo, SNES, Sega genesis, game boy and quite a few others that well over 20 years old. It does not always "come with the territory."

I think the point of the post is simply "things eventually break."

Call it the state of decay if you prefer.

Seeing how just about any previous console is available on EBay or the like, availability should never truly be an issue. There are 80 million PS3s and Xbox 360s out in the world right now, not even counting the ones already manufactured and sitting on store shelves or in warehouses.

If you can find an Atari 2600 or an NES or a PS1 today, I am sure you will be able to find an Xbox 360 ten or twenty years down the line just fine.

-
---
If you're omnipotent and all-powerful...why would you need to REST? On the 7th or ANY day?
#10A_Nonny_MoosePosted 8/24/2013 10:48:15 AM
Raycon posted...
A_Nonny_Moose posted...

Some of us would like to have a legal alternative available. = (

Nothing against emulation, but it's usually a last resort.

I'm sure there will be clone consoles down the line that play 360 games, just like there are for older consoles.
---
http://i.imgur.com/QB2km.png