A legitimate concern about the lack of backwards compatibility

#11The_DarkwalkerPosted 8/24/2013 11:40:32 AM
A_Nonny_Moose posted...
Raycon posted...
A_Nonny_Moose posted...
You'll be able to emulate 360 games on smartphones by the time availability becomes a real issue.

Some of us would like to have a legal alternative available. = (

Nothing against emulation, but it's usually a last resort.

I'm sure there will be clone consoles down the line that play 360 games, just like there are for older consoles.

That is only possible (legally, at least) if Microsoft chooses to let the patent expire for the 360. The reason you see knock versions of SNES and Genesis machines is because those companies never renewed the patents for the technology. That's the reason you can't find any N64 knock off machines for instance, Nintendo still holds the rights to the system.

I don't see Microsoft choosing to let that patent expire very soon, if at all. Hell, as far as I am aware they still hold the patent for the original Xbox machine too.
---
Evil always wins because Good is dumb.
PSN ID: xDARKWALKERx // Gamertag: I DarkWalker I
#12Donuts_R_GoodPosted 8/24/2013 11:51:58 AM(edited)
no1oblivionfan posted...
All Xboxes have a chance of RRODing except for the slim.

Unfortunately, this is totally not true. The slim Xbox consoles don't red ring of death - they red DOT of death. The power dot in the middle of the quadrants will flash red and the console will not work.

I know this because I bought a Halo: Reach special edition slim console when it launched in september 2010. It got the red dot of death one month later... reeeeeeally sucked ass.
---
Not changing this sig until a Halo 2 remake is announced.
Started November 2nd, 2011.
#13656stoogePosted 8/24/2013 12:07:20 PM
The more immediate concern is how the 360 handles patches. Once the 360 servers are taken down you won't have access to any patches, and the ones you do have will only be saved to the systems cache.

Think about how many games needed patches to run properly this gen.
---
For want of the price of tea and a slice, the old man died.
#14grampamurkedPosted 8/24/2013 12:12:17 PM
no1oblivionfan posted...
Raycon posted...
I would argue that's true just about any console, not just a 360, which is why I'm such a huge proponent of BC. The distinct lack of it this gen is very upsetting.

= (

Any console will break eventually with age, not with inevitable hardware malfunction however.

How many of you can honestly say you will have your Xbox working 27 years down the line like I have with my NES?

This is an absurd expectation.
---
New user...long time lurker.
#15656stoogePosted 8/24/2013 12:14:13 PM
grampamurked posted...

Why? I have consoles that old, and every single console I've every owned is still working flawlessly.
---
#16TBONE_OGPosted 8/24/2013 12:16:41 PM
They just released a new 360 sku. This is not a legitimate concern....
---
Always O.G.
#17ItIsOkBroPosted 8/24/2013 12:16:41 PM
Our SNES still works, they don't make 'em like they used to.
---
I'm wrong for the right.
#18grampamurkedPosted 8/24/2013 12:17:42 PM
656stooge posted...
grampamurked posted...

Why? I have consoles that old, and every single console I've every owned is still working flawlessly.

Mechanical devices are not ment to last forever. Find something reasonable to whine about.
---
New user...long time lurker.
#19656stoogePosted 8/24/2013 12:19:44 PM
grampamurked posted...
\
Mechanical devices are not ment to last forever. Find something reasonable to whine about.

Do you have a list of things I can whine about? Wouldn't want to whine about something you don't approve of and have you whine at me for doing so.
---
#20SuperHoneyBunnyPosted 8/24/2013 12:19:54 PM
I find it a little hard to believe that they're not going to be selling 360 games on the XB1 someday.
That's about 8 years of games. Be nice if they could port some of the bigger games over.
Like Halo, Skyrim, G.o.W. ect,
I can live without my XBLA games.